Gransnet forums

Chat

The things we do

(70 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 20-Jan-21 15:51:08

Is anyone as daft as me
When I m looking in the mirror doing my hair or putting makeup on I find myself putting a smile on (do I think I look better with a smile)
When I step on the scales I unconsciously take a big breath in and stand up straight ..... what a difference that makes ?
If I inadvertently step on an insect I apologise (out loud) usually ‘oh sorry mate’ ..........but it’s dead and I know it’s dead, it can’t hear me and it doesn’t speak English anyway ???

Do you do things that don’t really make much sense

Redhead56 Wed 20-Jan-21 15:59:33

Every morning before I get dressed I get a magnifying mirror to pencil eyebrows. I look in the bigger hand mirror to check that they are ok. But they never are and it’s looks like a three year olds handy work. I should just use the bigger mirror to start with but never do!

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:06:55

I always pull my stomach in when I look in the mirror. Who am I kidding?
I have been known to talk to my car after walking through rain with a heavy bag and I thank it for being there.

SuzannahM Wed 20-Jan-21 16:07:58

I've often apologised to things like lamp posts, gates and walls after walking in to them.

I talk to people in films, and once in the theatre actually stood up and yelled and waved my hand to alert the detective to a bad guy. The surrounding audience were all highly amused. As was my OH.

So no, it's not just you that is daft.

shysal Wed 20-Jan-21 16:09:41

I always thank my car out loud when it reminds me that I have left the lights on.

Jane10 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:36:23

I always say thank you to the cash machine as it dispenses my money. Well, its only polite!

Susiewong65 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:41:53

On my walk I say hello to cats and tell them to ‘mind the traffic!’

midgey Wed 20-Jan-21 16:47:59

As a family we all ducked when the car we sitting in went under a low bridge!

Jaxjacky Wed 20-Jan-21 17:28:17

I say please and thank you to Alexa.

Jane10 Wed 20-Jan-21 17:34:01

susiewong65 of course. You have to speak to all cats when you meet one (or even see one in the distance).
I love the @thecatreviewer on Twitter. People photograph cats they meet on the street and mark them out of ten for eg fluffiness, size of miaow, etc etc. Its very funny plus there's nice pics of cats.

nadateturbe Wed 20-Jan-21 17:44:32

A bit like Midgeys post. When driving very close to a vehicle coming in the opposite direction I lean to the left.
And when giving way to someone I say After you, even though they can't hear me.

Shinamae Wed 20-Jan-21 17:47:47

I very often swear at Alexa!

Redhead56 Wed 20-Jan-21 17:49:07

I forgot one I swear at Alexa because she never does as I tell her. My husband says it’s because I am nasty.

SuzannahM Wed 20-Jan-21 18:13:42

nadateturbe

A bit like Midgeys post. When driving very close to a vehicle coming in the opposite direction I lean to the left.
And when giving way to someone I say After you, even though they can't hear me.

And when someone gives way for me I always say Thank you, even when they can't hear me!

nadateturbe Wed 20-Jan-21 21:17:49

I say please to Alexa. I said thank you once and she said You're very welcome.

Galaxy Wed 20-Jan-21 21:19:20

I sometimes say oh sorry you arent switched on after I have shouted at Alexa a few times.

welbeck Wed 20-Jan-21 22:11:53

i used to end up rowing with the automated tills in lidl.
i never liked them, but in one branch there was no alternative. it was very small, a street premises, not those large warehouse type stores. anyway i don't go to that one now.
i would start being polite with it, but i had to call the asst numerous times; very stressful.
apparently young people prefer them !

gmarie Wed 20-Jan-21 23:52:02

I live alone and have slipped on my stairs a half dozen times so now I say "Plant, plant, plant" with each step to keep myself alert. Hopefully no one will hear me at the front door and think I'm off my rocker. hmm

Lexisgranny Thu 21-Jan-21 00:03:26

When I was 17 and started to drive, I still leant forward going uphill and backwards going downhill, just as I would have done on my bike.

Lexisgranny Thu 21-Jan-21 00:32:14

Just about to go to sleep and thinking over the day when I realised that I had had a lengthy rant today into an ansaphone on the subject of why they were not returning my calls. I have just realised I didn’t leave my name or number. Ah well at best someone may have recognised my voice from previous messages - I did leave name and number then. At worst that office will have a good laugh at the silly old bat tomorrow!

welbeck Thu 21-Jan-21 00:50:12

my uncle used to lean forward when driving; he had grown up with a horse and cart, and seemed to be urging the car on.

nadateturbe Thu 21-Jan-21 01:32:00

* Lexisgranny* grin

Gagagran Thu 21-Jan-21 09:42:18

welbeck that brought back a memory of my Grandad, a farmer, who also used a horse and cart for many years. When going up a hill in his car he used to say "Gee up, lass".

He died when I was 4 so that's one of the few memories I have of him.

Purplepoppies Thu 21-Jan-21 09:42:51

I excuse myself when burping etc. I live alone.... its odd.
I correct (yes I do believe our British pronunciation is correct) Americanisms, the one that really annoys me is ROUTE. It should sound like ROOT not ROWT!
So I shout at the TV!
My neighbours maybe think I'm nuts because I'm also vocal whilst watching boxing and UFC. ?

Lucca Thu 21-Jan-21 09:46:30

welbeck

i used to end up rowing with the automated tills in lidl.
i never liked them, but in one branch there was no alternative. it was very small, a street premises, not those large warehouse type stores. anyway i don't go to that one now.
i would start being polite with it, but i had to call the asst numerous times; very stressful.
apparently young people prefer them !

Not just young people ! I do. Partly as I sometimes don’t feel like telling the cashier what sort of day I’ve had, or what I’m doing later.