Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(75 Posts)
12Michael Thu 21-Jan-21 06:16:23

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet outside here in Brackley , still the effects of continuous heavy rain .
Did make up some curry yesterday , ready to place in the freezer today.
Apart , form the mail , which has been early just lately ,and of course with the lockdown , I have got into the habit of snacking and putting weight on.
Take Care ,
Mick

NanKate Thu 21-Jan-21 08:22:14

Morning Mick and All

Bright day in South Bucks so off for a walk.

So pleased you can have the vaccination Mary my sister is in a similar position to you so let’s hope she can get the jab too.

Sparklefizz try unplugging everything TV and any other devices leave for a couple of minutes and replug hopefully the buffering should stop. Well it did for me. I do that with Alexa regularly when he voice slows down. ?

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Jan-21 08:26:29

Good morning, it poured down last night in Leicestershire.

The golf courses are closed down here Marydoll!

NWR Zoom quiz this afternoon. The menfolk are invited so should be interesting.

Viridian Thu 21-Jan-21 08:27:20

Hello everyone from a wet south Cornwall. My night was painful as usual but the sound of rain was so soothing and made me feel I'm in a tent. I wish. Such good news about your vaccine Marydoll.

I almost hate to say this but my bubble includes a hairdresser, my daughter-in-law! Sorry!

A disappointment sortie into my concreting room where the bag of said material was solid. Silly me, didn't plastic cover it when I opened it. But there are possibly worse things happening.... wink

I snack too Mick and have a tum where there wasn't much before! For me it's also that I can't move enough to exercise it away.

The inauguration was moving, that poem so lovely...

Today am 'babysitting' my 11 year old grandson briefly, so will catch up on his latest Mario games. Yippee!

Have the best day you can, all of you.

harrigran Thu 21-Jan-21 08:28:03

Good morning from the NE where we still have snow which started at bedtime last night.
It rained heavily all day yesterday and it was a really miserable day. DH decided he would go for milk at 8.30 last night, was surprised to find the supermarket totally empty so did a store cupboard shop.
Day five post vaccination and still have stiff shoulder.
Gentle housework today, no heaving the vacuum around.
Thinking of all those who are unwell and with poorly families.

Jaxjacky Thu 21-Jan-21 08:30:22

Good morning Mick and all from a soggy S Hants, it hurled rain down last night, we may get an odd shower today and it’s cooler.
Many thanks for your good wishes and pm’s yesterday, Marydoll seize the day indeed, but I feel you should gently stroke instead of grab, good news on your vaccine. Gagagran hoping your DD escapes Covid lightly.
I ordered myself some flowers yesterday, never done that before, then blow me, DH bought me some home too, he’s been stalwart the last couple of weeks. I’ve ordered a new vase, to be delivered today for the larger bouquet. I leave them with you to enjoy along with me. Have a gentle day all.

Gelisajams Thu 21-Jan-21 08:33:54

Good morning from a wild wet Morecambe Bay where I suspect it’s also cold with snow forecast not too far away today.
Did anyone watch ‘The Bay’ last night? Welcome to my stomping ground! Don’t look out for me on the set though, us lesser mortals we not allowed anywhere near the filming!
I tidied up a couple of big boxes yesterday and have organised 2 into 1. I probably won’t find anything in future, but I did come across a fabric collage I’d started years ago and abandoned as it got tricky. I may have a go attempting to finish it. There’s actually not that much to do.
Good to hear Grandmafrench is keeping well and keeping busy, but for all our missing posters and for those finding life difficult in so many different ways ?
Everyone else, stay safe ?

Georgesgran Thu 21-Jan-21 08:40:50

Good morning from Durham. After days of continuous rain we had snow overnight, but it’s gone this morning. Going for a giant shop later - the list gets longer every day. DH is always hungry, a side effect of his meds, but doesn’t gain weight. It’s incredible what his daily intake is and what it all costs. No news yet about his vaccine, but they’ll get around to it I’m sure.
Hope everyone stays safe. X

Pittcity Thu 21-Jan-21 08:41:44

Good morning from a cold, sunny Colchester. Winter weather that I like. Don't think it's going to last long as there's rain and snow in the forecast.

We've finished most of our decluttering before moving and have somebody coming to collect a mattress this morning.

Sausage and bean casserole for tea followed by Jay's Pub quiz. Chatting to my family online on a Thursday night has become a permanent fixture.

Greyduster Thu 21-Jan-21 08:45:14

Good morning Michael and all GNs. A clear sky, but windy and cold in South Yorkshire. DH goes for his vaccination this morning and then if he feels ok after that, we’ll go for a walk. It rained all day yesterday and most of last night, so it will have to be the park, with proper paths. Have the best day you can folks.

Mapleleaf Thu 21-Jan-21 08:49:41

Good morning all,

Thank goodness the rain has stopped -it really came down last night. Areas near the river are on high alert and some bridges have been closed but I’m praying that the levels begin to fall. The problem is it depends what there is left to come down from the hills, which of course flows into the already very swollen rivers.

Pilates this morning, then I’ll let the day unfold, as per usual at the moment!

Take care everyone. I’ll come back after Pilates to read everyone’s posts. ?

Gingster Thu 21-Jan-21 08:52:20

Good morning all and it was light when I woke this morning. Little pooch had slept in. It’s nice and bright and calm today after a blustery night.

I was thinking of Urmstongran when I saw all the flooding in Manchester. Hope alls well with you and yours?

I enjoyed the inauguration yesterday and Joe Bidens speech was gentle but inspiring. He seems a nice man.

I made a lemon drizzle cake yesterday as the Christmas cake was all gone and DH likes his cake in the afternoon. So much for us cutting down on sweet treats ?

We still have no letter re vaccine. Supposed to hear this week. ?.

Here’s hoping you are well and safe from the floods, and of course the dreaded virus. ??

Anniebach Thu 21-Jan-21 08:54:46

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

GrannySomerset Thu 21-Jan-21 09:00:14

Yesterday was like living in a washing machine so today is a blessed relief, and we seem to have escaped the flooding. Highlight of today is vaccination at our local surgery this afternoon, so we will both have had a first vaccination and feel very lucky.

Otherwise the supermarket beckons and I must not buy any treats for myself as will power is seriously lacking and nothing fits - entirely my own fault.

Glad to know that Grandmafrench is well (we need news of Gillybob) and hope Marydoll the Brave feels a bit better soon. Good news about the vaccine. Have a good day everyone.

grannysyb Thu 21-Jan-21 09:01:54

Good m,bright and sunny here, much better than yesterday. Glad to hear Marydoll is going to have her vaccine, I had mine yesterday and feel fine. Hope Cherry had a better night's sleep and that the floods go down soon. My DS moved to York last summer, thankfully his falt in in a higher part of the city. Have a good day everyone

Pittcity Thu 21-Jan-21 09:03:21

Sparklefizz is your TV connected to your router by cable or wi fi? We had to use a cable to stop the buffering as our WiFi is prone to fluctuation.

amselerin Thu 21-Jan-21 09:08:59

Good morning to you all from a windy Lueneburg.
My thoughts are with all those people who are experiencing the storms and the flooding. I may have to postphone my walk to the village shop with my dog, because of the wind. I wanted to buy some daffodils for my friend who is almost 90 years of age. We need something to brighten the day. But Spring is here soon and with it much better times. Take care and enjoy your day. x

Nortsat Thu 21-Jan-21 09:14:21

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where the sun is shining ?.

Like many Good Morning-ers we enjoyed the Inauguration of President Biden. Somehow we feel relief to have a decent man in the White House.
We were very moved by the young Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman and her stunning poem The Hill We Climb.
We opened wine with our supper and spent most of the evening watching edited highlights.

Sorry to hear you are feeling grim Mary, good wishes to Travelafar and Auntieflo. Hello to gilly.
Have a good day all and ‘let’s be careful out there’.

Stilllearning Thu 21-Jan-21 09:15:36

Morning from my bit of S Lanarkshire, snow overnight and just started again. The forecast isn’t good so I’m hoping local D’s 5.30 am journey to work tomorrow morning is okay. I seem to spend the winter watching the weather!
I also spent the the afternoon watching the inauguration, found myself crying at times. A lovely idealistic start but what a task, we can only wish him luck and strength.
More clearing and tidying today, I’ve lost something important and am becoming really frustrated, for goodness sake I have been the only person in here for months, I am so annoyed at myself!
Good wishes to everyone.

Grandmafrench Thu 21-Jan-21 09:18:48

Good Morning from a calm and sunny South of France. Yesterday it was madness. The winds across our garden upturned numbers of big pots with trees in them, not once but too many times. We’ve had to move so many things to avoid broken pots ?.

All is well with me and thanks for lovely enquiries asking if I’m o.k. It’s clear, because, people are so caring on this thread, that silence from a regular poster is worrying! (As if we all haven’t enough to worry about). So, I’m determined to post an ‘I’m fine, just busy’ kind of message in future - to avoid anyone else fearing the worst if the day has just run away from me! Thank you all in advance for being the best!!

Glad your DH’s day was such fun, Elizabeth, pleased you have a small chink of light coming your way, Mary. Try not to worry too much, Gaga - one day at a time. Not impressed with British weather news....the climate does throw up the most appalling events each winter now.

Perhaps staying in, safe and warm needs to be the mantra for the moment.

Actually saw the Inauguration yesterday. Can’t imagine that all nations, at that moment, didn’t feel the world settle back onto its axis again. Hoping so much for a return to some honesty, integrity and decency - not just for America, but the rest of the world too. ?

Have a hopeful day, everyone. Stay cheerful, find a smile and be kind to yourselves. ?‍♀️????

Marydoll Thu 21-Jan-21 09:19:33

amselerin, are you posting from, Lüneburg in Germany?
I have just looked it up. It's a lovely place to stay.

Sparklefizz Thu 21-Jan-21 09:22:24

Pittcity

Sparklefizz is your TV connected to your router by cable or wi fi? We had to use a cable to stop the buffering as our WiFi is prone to fluctuation.

Pittcity It's connected to my router by WiFi. Thank you so much for your advice. I will look into that.

Strangely I have no problems with Prime, just with Netflix.

Sparklefizz Thu 21-Jan-21 09:25:54

NanKate Sparklefizz try unplugging everything TV and any other devices leave for a couple of minutes and replug hopefully the buffering should stop. Well it did for me. I do that with Alexa regularly when he voice slows down. ?

Thank you NanKate - I'll try that too. I am not good with tech stuff but must stop saying that and being negative.

Alygran Thu 21-Jan-21 09:32:16

Good morning from North Yorkshire. I don’t think I have ever seen so much rain here. The fields behind my house are standing in water but I can see some traffic on the main road about half a mile away so the main road must still be open. It crosses the River Swale about a mile from here and is very prone to being under water.
Today DH would have been 68 so a sad day for me. The picture was taken in 2016 when we toured Western Australia. Happier days.
I’m pleased to read so many are getting their vaccines. I have a bit of a wait yet.
I need to find something productive to do today so I’ll wish you all a good day and go and get dressed! Stay safe.

dragonfly46 Thu 21-Jan-21 09:37:44

Alygran flowers

amselerin Thu 21-Jan-21 09:37:49

Hello, yes, Marydoll, I do live in Lüneburg now. I met my husband on a school exchange and fell in love with him and with Wales, later Cambridgeshire. Hopefully, one day I can move back. 2 of my sons live with their families in Great Britain.x Keep well.