Gransnet forums

Chat

Cutting the supply of vaccines

(81 Posts)
blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 23:18:31

Just read that Matt Hancocks has said he is cutting supplies of vaccines to Yorkshire,and sending more to more deprived areas
I am fuming about this,how dare he?
Surely everyone deserves one asap
As far as i know Yorkshire hasn't had more vaccines distributed than anywhere else to a great degree
I know there are difficulties at the mo0ment with one supplier being flooded,and the one in India has caught fire with sadly 5 dead
I don't think this year is going well at all, and now all the floods
What else can go wrong?

Bridie22 Fri 22-Jan-21 08:05:37

Surely, the vaccines are distributed by population numbers, so if there are say 35,000 people in group to be vaccinated then that is what would be sent ?
I am a North East resident and am aware of people 80/90 who haven't yet been approached with a vaccination date.
So Mr .Hancock leave our supply alone ! Sounds to me that there maybe a problem with production and he is shuffling things about again.

silverlining48 Fri 22-Jan-21 08:11:33

Kent with the new COVID variant is the second largest county in the country with a large older population and the vaccination rate is about 30%.
I am trying not to panic. The day I hear it’s
My turn will
Be a happy one. Like every thing else there seems no rhyme or reason.

Casdon Fri 22-Jan-21 08:24:03

I think the time we can legitimately be critical is if the promise of all over 70s being offered the vaccine by mid February fails.

There are bound to be some local/regional/national differences in the implementation in the meantime, but let’s all keep our fingers crossed that can be delivered on.

sodapop Fri 22-Jan-21 09:23:42

France has run out of vaccine, no more for two months apparently. So much bureaucracy to get it underway. Macron is a tad unpopular.

chelseababy Fri 22-Jan-21 09:28:53

In East Anglia only 46% of over 80s have been vaccinated.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:29:26

Honestly, Hancock said no such thing.

Yorkshire, like everywhere else is getting fewer vaccines next week because the supply from the manufacturers next week is less than this week. Hancock said that we need to speed up the rate of vaccinations in London because they are slowest there.

Cue doctor's groups, local press and the Guardian jumping on this and making 2+2 equal 5.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55759857

Oh, and the floods in Wrexham? No interruption to supply.

Can we not just be happy that we have a vaccine that protects us against Covid that is being rolled out amazingly quickly. Is that too much to ask for?

JenniferEccles Fri 22-Jan-21 09:33:15

Here’s a thought- why don’t we just let those in charge of the vaccine rollout organise the distribution as they see fit, rather than pouncing on any news item and be critical?

Vaccinating the entire adult population is a massive undertaking, surely everyone understands that?

So far it’s going extremely well so let’s leave them to it and be grateful when our turn comes.

gillgran Fri 22-Jan-21 09:41:30

I only know that in our area of East Anglia the roll-out of the vaccine is very slow.
Local GPs only started giving the vaccine on Wednesday this week, ( & that is at a centre 12 miles away).
They announced that they are starting on local care homes today.
Not sure of reasons, lack of vaccine? or just slow getting organised?

Bridie22 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:47:05

Really happy and grateful that I will eventually receive a vaccine, however hancock did announce earlier in the week that the over 70s and CEV would receive a letter this week to receive their vaccine earlier due to the success of the rollout , I havent received one! Anybody ?

Its the playing with peoples emotions at a time when a lot of us are struggling to cope.

eazybee Fri 22-Jan-21 10:07:44

I was surprised to receive a letter last Tuesday offering me the vaccine, as I am not quite 75, but very grateful for the opportunity, going a week tomorrow. (South-West England). My friend, also 74, had her vaccination last week in Norfolk,(does that count as East Anglia?) a rural area but near to Norwich, a hotspot.
No idea what CEV is.

gillgran Fri 22-Jan-21 10:29:34

eazybee, Yes Norwich is very much in East Anglia, just goes to show how varied the vaccine is given in different areas. I am in NW Cambs., (same age as you), our area is at 46% of over 80's have been vaccinated.
I am looking forward to having mine by mid- Feb., [fingers crossed]

Bridie22 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:50:05

Clinically extremely vunerable.
Good to hear some are receiving it early, however I'm north east were supplies are being cut so why is that, tell me Mr. Hancock.

JenniferEccles Fri 22-Jan-21 12:01:43

The BBC news has said that Pfizer is upgrading its facilities which means the vaccine distribution will be limited for a couple of weeks.

That’s probably why supplies here are being redistributed around the country.

We are third in the world for the numbers already vaccinated so we have much to be thankful for.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 12:12:33

vampirequeen I don't think most of East Anglia does have access to large stadiums ... and have you ever driven on a Norfolk road? hmm

I suspect Casdon is right. Population density and geographical location almost certainly play a part.

Surprisingly, London doesn't have an abundance of suitable venues for the number of people living there, apart from a handful of huge spaces such as the former Nightingale Hospital.

Blinko Fri 22-Jan-21 12:13:48

How do you find out how many have been vaccinated in your own area?

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 12:14:24

The problem with the Pfizer vaccine is distribution in areas such as the Fens and most of Norfolk, where there are still many isolated hamlets.

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 12:15:02

Blinko

How do you find out how many have been vaccinated in your own area?

Ask Google.

MawBe Fri 22-Jan-21 12:15:12

An unfortunate turn of phrase though isn’t it?
“Reallocating the current resources, redistributing, ensuring a fair distribution to all areas” whatever might have stopped this assumption that it is being cut back.
Sometimes you have to read beneath the headlines.

lemongrove Fri 22-Jan-21 12:18:41

NellG

Hi, I understood that this is because Yorkshire and the NE in general have managed to vaccinate many more people (80% of the priority groups) than some other areas so therefore the vaccines they don't need urgently are being sent to areas that are behind in vaccinating the top few priority groups. I think it's more a case of logistically making sure things go according to plan. Unfortunately Hancock seems to possess the communication skills of a flatulating gibbon, so always gives the impression he's doing over someone, somewhere. As for what else can go wrong, everything and nothing. We just don't know. What we do know is that we will prevail and eventually things will be in balance again. It certainly feels massively overwhelming right now though.

This made me laugh ( in a good way)?
Spot on!

GrannyRose15 Fri 22-Jan-21 12:28:34

CEV - clinically extremely vulnerable

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 13:41:26

This is what Hancock said, couldn't get it all on

Katyj Fri 22-Jan-21 13:45:58

I don’t know we’re he gets his data from my mum 89 still waiting and a friends mum 94 also still waiting. West Yorks .

Peasblossom Fri 22-Jan-21 15:06:17

Well now, talking to friends this morning in East Anglia.

They firmly believe the North got more than it’s fair share of vaccine to begin with.

The friends in Central London believe that the middle class commuter belts have been given favourable treatment.

The friend on the South Coast thinks that more vaccine should have been given to the big retirement towns down there.

Up in the North they think they’re not getting their fair share either.

I’m in the Midlands. We’ve been in almost continuous lockdown all year. Obviously the vaccine should be concentrated here?

Sigh

Patsy70 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:00:39

There are still over 90s in London who haven’t had the vaccine.

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 16:16:45

I had a phone call about an hour ago,to go next friday the 29th , so pleased,thought it would be by letter
I did the vaccine calculaer thing which gives dates of when you are likely to have it
It came out at 29th January to the 10th February, so pretty much spot on