Gransnet forums

Chat

Cutting the supply of vaccines

(81 Posts)
blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 23:18:31

Just read that Matt Hancocks has said he is cutting supplies of vaccines to Yorkshire,and sending more to more deprived areas
I am fuming about this,how dare he?
Surely everyone deserves one asap
As far as i know Yorkshire hasn't had more vaccines distributed than anywhere else to a great degree
I know there are difficulties at the mo0ment with one supplier being flooded,and the one in India has caught fire with sadly 5 dead
I don't think this year is going well at all, and now all the floods
What else can go wrong?

Blinko Fri 29-Jan-21 11:41:32

These people are the more vulnerable to the virus, but are believing they'll be killed by the vaccine and see it as a racist move.

I've heard this and it simply beggars belief. If it's a killer and a 'racist move', why are white people taking it up in droves? What planet are these people on?

GrannyRose15 Fri 29-Jan-21 15:36:35

Alegrias1

No, we're not being "held over a barrel".

The EU want the manufacturers to deliver on their commitments. Which means not sending higher proportions of vaccines to third party countries when the cannot meet the orders of the EU itself. They want what they ordered.

As we are now a third party country with no stake in the EU, they can treat us the same as everybody else when it comes to exports, which is exactly what they are doing. They're not withholding supplies just to annoy us. So yes they can withhold permission for exports. Welcome to the world post Brexit.

What is so interesting here though is that the EU seems to be blocking exports from one company because it is having a fight with another, quite separate, company. This is really counter productive for them. They might get more vaccines in the short term but if big companies find themselves subject to restrictive practices like this then they will simply move production elsewhere. The EU will then have shot itself in the foot.

Not that I'm at all worried about that of course - but they should be.

Alegrias1 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:34:52

Yes, its very convoluted, isn't it GrannyRose15. No idea how this is going to play out.

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:59:14

I agree GrannyRose and think the EU is using their ‘beef’ with AZ as a distraction technique because they have moved so slowly where vaccines are concerned and the citizens of EU countries are quite rightly annoyed with the EU commission.
It makes no sense to block vaccines to non EU countries from a completely different company!
Bully boy tactics.

Blinko Fri 29-Jan-21 20:47:30

growstuff

Blinko

How do you find out how many have been vaccinated in your own area?

Ask Google.

Cheers, Growstuff