Gransnet forums

Chat

In your experience, are people who share a house called at the same time for the vaccine.

(64 Posts)
littleflo Sat 23-Jan-21 11:30:07

I am due my vaccine tomorrow following a text message to my phone. My DH is older than me but has heard nothing. I would like to know if this is common among GNetters.

NotAGran55 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:43:09

My FIL 87 had his a week ago and my MIL 80 has hers today.

Gagagran Sat 23-Jan-21 16:20:58

We had ours done together last Tuesday. I am 77 and DH is 78. We were eating our lunch and got a phone call from the surgery to say if we could go NOW we could both have the jab.

So we abandoned our lunch and shot off down the road to the Baptist Church where the vaccination centre has been set up with great efficiency. We were straight in, no queuing, sat together in front of the nurse who jabbed me then DH.

We had to sit in a socially distanced area afterwards for 20 mins then were free to go back home to resume our lunch. Felt very grateful and relieved. Never felt the needle go in and neither of us have had any side effects at all.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:26:36

Our surgery did their level best to get us both in together although we are in different age categories. They called us on Friday to go immediately as they had a couple of vaccines spare.

maryrose54 Sat 23-Jan-21 16:28:50

Here in Norfolk my 71 year old friend had hers last week but her husband of same age hasn't. I was called yesterday for appointment next week and am in my mid sixties with no underlying health problems although had bowel resection 9 years ago due to cancer scare, although all was well and no treatment needed. Husband 3 years younger so not been called yet. Feel a bit guilty when I read other posts.

Atqui Sat 23-Jan-21 16:29:44

My husband of 85 had his before Christmas and I went with him. I’m 71 and they offered it to me so I had it too. He has an appointment for 2nd jab at 10 week interval in Feb - the person on the phone said I couldn’t have an appointment cos I’m not old enough . Hmmmm

blossom14 Sat 23-Jan-21 17:19:41

DH (82) had appointment for Tuesday last week. Two minutes after he left the house I (79) had a tel call from GP for Wednesday.

muse Sat 23-Jan-21 17:38:20

Callistemon is right about ringing,

We can't ring the surgery (strict instructions on their website and also on the local news !).

However, I was in the other day and asked at the dispensary, She said we would get a call (age order) and suggested we ask if the other could come as well. We're 18 months apart and in 70s. Said it would probably be mid February. They do the calls in batches.

Callistemon Sat 23-Jan-21 18:04:21

blossom14

DH (82) had appointment for Tuesday last week. Two minutes after he left the house I (79) had a tel call from GP for Wednesday.

Oh, haven't checked the answer phone! They could have phoned whilst I went with DH for his.

MrsEggy Sat 23-Jan-21 18:57:44

DH and I (in our 80s) went together. I had a phone call three weeks ago and I asked if DH could go as well, they checked his age and he was given his jab 5 minutes after me. We were both given an appointment for 2nd jab after 3 weeks. After about a week we had a text cancelling 2nd jab. Have heard nothing since.

Nannatwiglet Sat 23-Jan-21 19:12:00

Although I am not vulnerable and my husband is, I had a message on my mobile to ask me to ring our surgery to book appointments for vaccine jabs. That was Friday.
Rang surgery Monday and I asked if my husband could attend at the same time...we are both 74. We were given appointments 40minutes apart to attend another medical centre on the Wednesday.
When we both went along for our jabs, we were allowed to go in together. No problems...
Think it all depends a lot on the area you live in, if the surgery can do the jabs in situ or not...also some areas have high or low numbers of folk 75+yrs....
Several of our neighbours are older than we are and go to different Gp surgeries. They are still waiting for appointments...

downtoearth Sun 24-Jan-21 11:51:40

My 21year old grandayghter abd I share a home, she works in a care home and received her vaccine 3 weeks ago, I am 68 and waiting

chelseababy Sun 24-Jan-21 12:40:18

My brother and sister in law (72 & 71) were vaccinated yesterday, West Sussex. We seem way behind in Bedfordshire.

BlueBelle Sun 24-Jan-21 12:58:48

Nearly 76 not heard anything only two friends in this age group have got dates and both have medical problems one diabetes one heart pacemaker none of my other friends have heard except three over 80 s who ve all had their first and second
Now we are not going to get our second one within the given time frame I m not at all sure how useful these first ones will now be

Atqui Sun 24-Jan-21 14:48:01

When I went with my husband (85) to the centre doing the vaccine I actually told them I was not there to have it as I was not 80. ( this was before Christmas) , but they offered it to me and to other younger partners / relatives. Now they say I can’t have my 2nd one 10:weeks hence , (this is when they are doing them ) I wonder what I am supposed to do. We aren’t supposed to ring our GP s understandably, and I presumes one should have the 2nd jab at the same centre as the first.

heath480 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:03:29

My friend and her husband have both had both doses of the vaccine.

She is 76,he is 82.Both done at GP Surgery.

He is in bad health with dementia and my friend is his sole career.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:45:53

I think it's mad not to call people together, especially when it means a long journey. Problems come when there are big age gaps. My 89 year old BIL has had his first jab but my 74 year old sister hasn't. As she had to take him for the appointment it would have seemed to make more sense for them to have it together.
My biomedical scientist daughter has her first appointment on Tuesday. Not too bothered about myself yet as at 64 I might have to wait a while, but really glad she is having hers as she's the one that has been telling me what I can and can't do for the last 11 months. Maybe she'll let me out once she feels safe.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 02:51:48

maryrose54

It seems Norfolk is the place to be if you want a vaccine.

maryrose54 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:18:53

GrannyRose, my husband who is in his early 60s got an appointment for this week on. When he queried why, he was told that they are getting through their list quickly. We are grateful but feel a bit guilty.

maryrose54 Mon 25-Jan-21 15:20:15

We are also in a town which has a designated vaccination centre.

GrannySomerset Mon 25-Jan-21 15:23:21

We were not only not called together but had our vaccinations in different places. But at least we’ve had them!

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 23:53:08

maryrose54

GrannyRose, my husband who is in his early 60s got an appointment for this week on. When he queried why, he was told that they are getting through their list quickly. We are grateful but feel a bit guilty.

Please don't feel guilty!

Grandma11 Tue 26-Jan-21 04:30:35

My DH is 80 and had his Vaccination a fortnight ago, I am 63 and in the Sheilding category, yet it may be a few weeks yet until I am offered mine. We are also concerned that now he has Antibodies to Cornona virus, he could potentially infect me.

Witzend Wed 27-Jan-21 11:18:06

Phone call this morning - I’m booked in for first jab on Friday, exactly a week after dh. I’m nearly 72, he’s 16 months older, so it would seem that as I’d suspected, they’re doing it in age order.

Granny23 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:31:58

Both couples I know, (who are one over and one under 80) had their Vaccinations together at GP's surgery a fortnight ago. That is in Central Scotland.

Atqui Wed 27-Jan-21 12:31:32

Hurrah! I received a letter with an appointment for the second
Jab.Its the day after my husbands , but that will be two outings instead of one , with a coffee and cake while we wait the prescribed 15 mins in the lounge. Do hope they haven’t changed the venue grin