Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(79 Posts)
12Michael Sun 24-Jan-21 06:12:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , and its dry at the moment but very cold outside here in brackley this morning.
Today, expecting to see more snow later as forecast .
Another fry up breakfast ,and will try one of my German ready made meals and have it with German potato dumplings , which according to the pack, states put in boiling water for 30 minutes ,and do not boil , see what the result is .
Yet to get back into the Parsley Box meals , but will do in the week .
Take Care,
Mick

NannyJan53 Sun 24-Jan-21 14:07:02

Urmston my DD is a Teacher, and I really hope they all get the vaccinations soon. I would gladly delay mine if my DD could have hers soon, as I constantly worry about her. I suppose the system doesn't work that way though. Hoping they manage to sway the Govt to do this, and for the Police too.

Litterpicker Sun 24-Jan-21 13:30:15

Oh dear, the morning disappeared. So Good afternoon from a now bright West Sussex. The earlier rain has cleared and there are fluffy while clouds moving quite fast across the blue sky. I have topped up the fat balls and sprinkled some dried mealworms around the top of a pot containing still under-the-earth hosta. The robin is very happy.
? for CherryCezzy, Marydoll, Harrigran and others with health problems that are taking much of their energy for enjoying life. Also thinking of those like GrannySomerset and others caring for partners with progressive conditions - so hard when there are not the usual supports.

Stilllearning Sun 24-Jan-21 12:58:50

Afternoon everybody, sundry phone calls and a late online mass from Ireland which I have got into the habit of ‘going to’ (a good sermon and a guitarist with a folk music style of singing) seems to have consumed the morning.
Lovely and bright but still very icy/snowy which I think will keep me in today again.
Is it Leslie Sansone exercise walk you use Nankate? I really enjoy them and try to do one most days just now.
Good wishes to everyone x

LauraNorder Sun 24-Jan-21 12:45:06

Ashcombe, I would think the snowman is quite relieved to have no sense of smell at the moment, can’t be much fun going through life only able to smell carrot.
lovebeigecardigans don’t apologise for getting niggles off your chest, sometimes little niggles can be the last straw.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:31:13

A late morning all/good afternoon from a cold and frosty South Notts. I'm a bit fed up today as I've a few small problems.
After the MOT and expensive car service two weeks ago the steering wheel is reluctant to turn so it must return to the garage. It'll have to wait until Tuesday as I've got to stay in tomorrow for a parcel to be collected by a courier as a wrong item was sent.
Due to Covid I'm still waiting for my teeth - in April it'll be three years since I fell down the stairs and knocked them out. I applied for my bus pass and pension at the same time as my twin sister, guess who got them very quickly and who's still waiting? I feel as if I spend my life waiting for others to get their backsides into gear.
However, I'm alive, not in pain, not living in abject poverty, etc so I mustn't moan. Others have far worse problems than me - mine are merely a collection of small niggles. Sorry to lower the spirits here. Hope all is well with those who have real illness or big worries.

Happyme Sun 24-Jan-21 12:19:49

Good Morning (or is it afternoon) from a snowy bright Cumbria. Looking forward to a walk with Bobby dog through the snow, lots of folk enjoying sledging on 'our' hill today. Paprika pork and dumplings for dinner, good warming winter meal.
Congratulations to all who have had their vaccines....progress !!!! Sending a hug to all who are struggling and thanks to those who cheer us up.?

Urmstongran Sun 24-Jan-21 12:18:48

A very late ‘Good Morning’ from south Manchester. It’s just gone noon. Milder here today & the snow is melting. I slept in till gone 9am! I think I needed it. Yesterday was a bit of anxious one. Today we (younger daughter and I) have a better sense of perspective. Plus it seems that all school staff might be getting their jabs during the half term? Headteachers and unions are pressing the government for it anyway.

Our Yorkshire Lass rang (another reason I’m late). She had her jab this morning (she’s NHS front line, speech & language therapist) at the Wakefield hub at 9am.

My stepfather (support bubble) is coming for Sunday lunch. Hungarian goulash a la Delia in oven. So easy which is why I make it. Shove it in the oven on a low light for 3 hours! I will have some red wine, he his whisky. Burns night tomorrow (25th) glad it’s the 24th today or he might have been expecting haggis, tatties and neeps!!

Thick snow here yesterday. Took these photos from our front door yesterday morning. The footprints were from Himself - he’d just gone down in the lift to Sainsbury’s! It made me laugh seeing his tracks.

Thanks to everyone for your kindnesses yesterday. It meant so much whilst I was having a bad day.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all. I shall read all your posts now while I drink my coffee. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Nortsat Sun 24-Jan-21 12:08:22

Good morning Mick and the GM team from east London, where we have snow. Like others we had a pink sky this morning and a couple of hours later, light snow merging into heavy snow with large flakes.

No walk for me today.
If I can’t go out tomorrow I will do the Jane Fonda Cardio Vascular Walk Out ... this is 20 mins of relatively simple exercise and stretches which is the equivalent of walking a mile.

I plan to make Sweet Chilli Stir Fry for supper. My partner loves it. He always happily accepts what I cook and seldom expresses a preference but he mentioned this as one of his favourites yesterday... so I will cook it tonight.

So pleased to hear from Sheepandcattle, I loved the farming posts. Lovely snowy photographs today.
Stay safe and warm team, good thoughts to those facing challenges and ‘let’s be careful out there’. ☃️

Grandmafrench Sun 24-Jan-21 12:02:02

We honestly need a daily register of members of the Club. Ashamed that I’ve not spotted Pants’ absence. Please say something if you’re reading this, Pants.

Totally edible little blonde person, Laura

So sorry to hear about your DD’s sadness, Ellan. Maybe she’s trying hard not to burden you with tears? Relieved you got to have your ?, and Maw too. Hope you’re feeling better, Harri - reckon your Vacc. may have been given to you by the Clinic handyman! Never be sorry, Cherry.....you’re here, that’s all that matters to us. Keep going, Auntieflo x

maydonoz Sun 24-Jan-21 12:01:55

Welwyn, Herts now

Kalu Sun 24-Jan-21 11:50:36

Good morning from a snow covered Glasgow. Sunny blue skies and the scene is picture perfect.

I had to do a double take when I saw your name this morning greenmossgiel. What a blast from the past. A warm welcome back.

No plans, just going with the flow today and quite content to do so. I bought a long rectangle frame with a certain place in the kitchen in mind. I will paint it to blend in with others then comes the tricky bit....I had the idea to do some calligraphy but my mind has gone blank as to what I will write! The appropriate content will come to me at some point, I hope ?

Have a pleasant day all, hoping you find something to make it more enjoyable.

Auntieflo Sun 24-Jan-21 11:46:28

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all. When I first looked in, there were just 11 posts, now there are 60 +. Oh well, I have an excuse, as my niece emailed with the news that her mum, my sister-in-law, had slipped and broken her hip, whilst out walking yesterday. She is due to have a hip replacement today. I bet my brother is in bits, and I am waiting to hear from him.
Then we watched the 2 1/2 yr old twins, opposite, with mum, dad, big brother and boxer dog, all playing snowballs. Lovely.
Next we listened to our on line service, and have just had a coffee. So lots has happened meanwhile.
Ashcombe lovely photo. Our sky was very apricot pink at the back, just before the snow started. What was green and wet, is now white and snowy, up to about 3 inches maybe now. Photo taken when snow first began.
Sorry to hear you had a bad day Harrigran. Hope you have a better time today.
Beef casserole, in the slow cooker, yesterday, was very good, but I am finding I do not enjoy beef so much these days. Although I am making a couple of meat loaves later on. One to eat and one to freeze .
Loved the snowman pic LauraNorder.
My DH is also a cooking phobic. He can sort lots of techy things, but cooking , as you say, terrifies him. Although he is getting used to Cook Shop meals and their instructions, and is a good washer upper, and excellent tea and coffee maker.
We are staying firmly inside whilst the snow is around, hope others do the same. Keep safe, and warm, and enjoy your day one and all.

CherryCezzy Sun 24-Jan-21 11:31:59

Good morning everyone from a chilly Gower.

I seem to be becoming an intermittent poster on Mick's lovely thread ?. The truth of the matter is that I'm not finding I have any life in me until the middle of the day, I think my medical conditions are getting the upper hand at the moment. It's not that I'm not thinking of you all and I feel pretty pathetic when I know that so many of you have significant issues of your own but manage to post each morning.

LauraNorder, I haven't seen Pantglas post much recently but maybe I'm not the best person to answer given what I've already posted above. I hope she's alright.

Sending you all warm wishes and vibes. Stay safe and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

Ashcombe Sun 24-Jan-21 11:21:55

LauraNorder. No wonder the poor snowman looks sad! He will be wondering if his loss of the sense of smell means he has caught the virus! (hope that’s not in bad taste)

LauraNorder Sun 24-Jan-21 11:11:00

Good morning Mick and all from cold Anglesey. No snow for us but family in Valley, 4 miles from us enjoying snow.
Someone ate snowman’s nose.
Had a very long walk yesterday so feeling stiff today.
Couldn’t find good morning Saturday for some reason, hey ho.
Has Pantglas been on recently? Haven’t seen her posting.
Have as good a day as you can all of you.

EllanVannin Sun 24-Jan-21 11:09:59

Good Morning All x.
0 degrees here with a heavy sky, but nevertheless I still open a window for the " freshness " to circulate before using the heating later.

D picked me up yesterday to take me to the medical centre and the sun was shining, quite pleasant--until we reached a set of lights which is on a hill, but beyond was the blackest cloud over the Welsh hills. By the time we got to the venue the Heavens opened with such a volly of hailstones we had to sit in the car at the side of the road until it gave off a bit.

D then drove into the car parking area, no spaces so we went to the nearby Aldi car park. No good because D couldn't maneouvre her big car to park in reverse as she likes driving out of a space and not backing out.

Off we went again to speak to the chap who was overseeing the traffic in the medical car park to see it she could drop me off at the door because the ground was lethal after me giving it a go.

Yes, that was fine, while hanging on to the rail, I went safely inside, temperature taken, handwash and sat down to fill in a consent form etc. 5 minutes I was led along a corridor into a surgery-type room with a doctor at the desk asking all kinds of questions then the nurse gave me the vaccination----never felt a thing ! Staff were brilliant and all well organised as the place was packed. I was in and out while many people were still waiting ?

Thankfully D was able to find a speck while I was inside and the hail had melted enough not to be slippy so that was that. I must say that D seemed very subdued and I gathered it was because she'd lost her beloved dog so I didn't mention it. She did say that she'd put his picture by a table-lamp and the bulb went, so she smiled and said it was typical of him playing tricks.

We should know tomorrow if GD has tested positive or not but apparently feels rough. I hope not.
D's colleague at work tested positive and is off so it means extra hours for D so thankfully GS is at home to watch the children. A couple of truck drivers from NI also tested positive. D looked worn out but I didn't crack on.

Anyway in 6 weeks time I'll be sent for again, and that'll soon go !. No problems with my arm at all but my jitters got the better of me yesterday so didn't get to do the planned shepherds pie----bacon,egg and tomatoes instead, so Sunday lunch will now be shepherds pie with some runner beans.
The only time I can't eat is when I'm churned up, which isn't too often grin thank goodness.

I could do with " bollus-ing " Sheepandcattle a large vitamin pill to tide me over---sounds a good idea. Good to see you and to catch up with life on the farm in these times. It still has to go on, regardless.

Many of you are all "white" I notice. It's too cold here and with the sea air it's not often we're covered. Looks nice when you're on the inside looking out, but--

It's snowing here now, I thought the sky looked heavy. So glad I whizzed out yesterday for a loaf. I doubt it'll stick.

Heating on now as the temp. was down to 15 degrees indoors, so enough of the fresh air.

Hoping all is well with everyone and life isn't too much of a strain. It's very difficult at times. x
Good health and stay safe. Have a peaceful day xx

Grandmafrench Sun 24-Jan-21 10:50:54

Well, shame on them! x

Grandmabatty Sun 24-Jan-21 10:43:47

Grandmafrench better not looking at the ingredients! Although every country has its quota of dishes that taste great but you'd be as well not to look to closely! You're, right, traditions are the glue that hold us together. Anyway disaster as Tesco didn't deliver my haggis stuffed beef olives so roast chicken it is. I'll venture out to get haggis slices and make a whisky sauce.

Grandmafrench Sun 24-Jan-21 10:36:10

Good Morning everyone.

??Weather today, blinding sunshine, cloudless skies but an evil wind from the north west. May get to the dizzy heights of 9 degrees, but looking forward to Thursday, almost no winds and birds able to fly right side ⬆️ up - and 17 degrees. That will be a day in the garden, hopefully.

Lots of snow in the posts today, and photographs. Love those - especially skies.

Welcome back sheepandcattle, hope life is being kind to you and your animals. Can’t go back to check Scottish poster or I’ll lose my post....greenmossgiel (??) Welcome to you swelling the numbers of Tartan Grans! Had my first haggis, 3 winters ago, Grandmabatty. A Scottish friend located and ordered some from Scotland to be sent here to the South ??. We were all filled with even more anticipation whilst he eventually tracked it to Germany, then Belgium! What?? A Scottish haggis roaming Europe on an adventure of its own! All was well, however, and it eventually arrived. I was very impressed. Two helpings (but deliberately avoided discussing the ingredients). Celebrating traditions is half the glue which helps hold us all together, I feel. So for all and any able to Burns Night this year, a toast to you all.

Burgundy beef for us much later today. I might make a pud’. Such excitement for a Sunday. Enjoy your day, each lovely Gran. Try to put a lid on worry and sadness - even for a short time - while you do something just for you. Don’t forget you deserve it ?.

Stay safe, stay sane, stay warm and stay on your feet. No Circus acts today, please, it’s Sunday! ??.

Hugs to all ?‍♀️?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 24-Jan-21 10:31:31

PS My Pork casserole experiment turned out great - very tasty! Might have been the wine!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 24-Jan-21 10:28:27

Good morning all from Harrogate at -3, don't think anything is going to fall from the sky today.
grandMattie Lovely photo, wouldn't care what the weather is, just get yourself as snug and a bug in a rug and enjoy the view!!
Beauregard my DH still hasn't discovered what the kitchen is for! He thinks it's for soaking plants in the sink and washing flowerpots!! He's been retired for 20 years.
Aart from cooking, nothing really planned for today, will try to get my virtual church which sometimes works. Got no breath for taking dog out, DH will do it. Still trying to contact Virginmedia - DH loves them and won't change!! Neither will he try to phone them.
Keep warm, well and safe everyone.

Blossoming Sun 24-Jan-21 10:28:22

Good morning all. Yesterday’s snow has now turned to ice so no walk again. I made a lovely chicken curry in the slow cooker yesterday. We ate some with naan bread last night and will have the rest with baked potatoes tonight. Bacon butties for brunch ss it’s Sunday. The storage boxes were delivered late afternoon. By the time I’d got them unpacked and the packaging sorted for recycling I was all out of spoons, so sorting and tidying things away is this afternoon’s activity. I look upon it as functional physio ?

Wishing all a calm restful day.

HAZBEEN Sun 24-Jan-21 10:25:55

Good morning from a very snowy Heathrow area! Yes we have the white stuff! Its been snowing for about an hour and showing no signs of stopping.
Not a lot planned, my OH is in the kitchen making a start on lunch, roast lamb today.
I am about to have a second cup of tea and read through your posts.
Stay safe all.

hulahoop Sun 24-Jan-21 10:24:30

Good morning from very frosty w/Yorks we also had beautiful sunrise . Never thought to make crumpets Amselerin glad they turned out edible for you. Beef in gravy with mash ,sprouts and carrots/turnip mix for meal later. Hope all with worries have a easy day .

amselerin Sun 24-Jan-21 10:11:45

Good morning all from a cold and frosty Lueneburg. It was snowing just now, but alas, only very very slightly and I love the snow. Creates a wonderland.
I had success in baking crumpets yesterday. As I can`t purchase them here I attemped baking them myself. They would pass as crumpets and taste almost as good as the bought ones. I had them toasted for breakfast. So the day started real good. Not much else happening today. We have got very few covid infections in this area. Let`s hope that we can all put this illness behind us soon. Injections are very few here. The 80 year old ones are beeing given the jab first, but they haven`t started in this area yet. You are very lucky - everyting seems to be well organised. Have a happy and healthy day. Take care x