Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Tue 26-Jan-21 06:10:20

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its starting to become daylight around 7 , anyway its cold outside with remains of snow still on the ground here in Brackley .
Today ,some housework ,and do a bit of TV and reading.
TV choice is getting into reruns daily , wish they would revamp some of the older 30 minute comedy's on TV at night .
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 08:33:31

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s cold but dry. Gone 8am so it’s light and I can quite clearly see the snow-topped Pennines in the distance. I like that they are known as ‘the backbone of Britain’. Just seen one magpie in a tree across the road. I don’t like that.

I’m off to see the optician later. I rang for an appointment yesterday and got a cancellation. I’ve started with dry eyes and some mornings they are bloodshot. They can be quite sore. Apparently I’m only six weeks away from my regular 2 year check up as well so will have that done too. I go to one of our local independent opticians as I like to support small family businesses wherever I can.

Later this afternoon we will walk over to our little family, using the spare key, to drop off a helium balloon and wrapped presents from us, the Yorkshire Lass (auntie) and my stepfather (grandpa). We are to hide them in a big cupboard which our daughter suggested. That way ‘ta-da’ in the morning for the baby of the family! I cannot believe she will be 4ys old.
?

Hope Tuesday is good to us all. Pace yourselves today Marydoll and GG13. I admire all grans who attempt home schooling even under the best of circumstances. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

baubles Tue 26-Jan-21 08:36:43

Good morning Mick, morning all from freezing S Lanarkshire. We’ve had another wee flurry of snow but thankfully it didn’t last, we’ve quite enough already.

DH practically had to drag me out yesterday, I’m becoming so unmotivated, but I’m glad he did as it was such a beautiful day. We tramped over the fields to the golf course where we managed to throw a ball enough times to exhaust the dog. They both snoozed for an hour when got home.

Today I’ll do my online food shop for tomorrow’s delivery and not a lot else

Wishing you all a peaceful day.

Gelisajams Tue 26-Jan-21 08:40:40

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it looks wet from the window. It was frosty when we went to bed so it must have warmed up a touch. DH is getting ready to run so he will investigate whether it’s still slippy or raining. If he’s back straight away I will know which!
Nothing exciting planned. Yesterday’s video meeting went well, but the poor girl was working in her bedroom on her ironing board she said, while she had bribed her 2 children to do their homework and keep quiet. I was supposed to be having another bank chat today but she phoned and said she could put papers in the post and our appointment wasn’t necessary.
I will FaceTime DS2 shortly and do some exercises with him. He’s off work for 12 days holiday so I am trying to keep him company as much as possible.
DH isn’t back so it must be ok under foot.
Take care everyone and stay safe ?

ginny Tue 26-Jan-21 08:42:39

Good Morning from N. Bucks. A little snow left on the pathways Rain forecast later.

Lovely surprise yesterday. DD2 sent us flowers, just because.

Hoping some fabric I ordered might arrive today .
Nothing particular happening today. A bit of ironing, craft and I fancy roast chicken for dinner.
Maybe DH might start decorating the spare bedroom. I cleared it out at the beginning of lat week but I won’t nag.

Hope you all find a ?today.

grannysyb Tue 26-Jan-21 08:49:37

Good morning, it looks cold and grey outside. Must go for a walk and then make meatballs with spicy tomato sauce for tonight and also last lot of marmalade. Had my eyes tested yesterday and no need for new glasses so came home and ordered a cashmere jumper from the landsend sale as I had saved the money! Hope everyone has as reasonable a day as possible.

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Jan-21 08:51:00

Good morning all, late for me today, it’s raining in S Hants, the snow remnants will go. Happy Birthday MrH ?. Ashcombe we too watch the quizzes on BBC2, but the new Lightning one is a quiz too far for me. sheepandcattle you are amazing, such hard work in all weathers, makes me feel chilly reading your posts. I have some minced beef I’ll cook down in the slow cooker, half will be cottage pie tonight, the rest frozen for chilli or pasta another day. A walk today, too wary of the ice the last couple of days, I’d rather get wet than slip over.
Have a gentle day all with a smile now and then.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Jan-21 08:55:15

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. Snow is still lying, frozen solid now. I have an appointment for the vaccine. First that and a dental appointment a week later. So much to look forward to. Why then do I feel sorry for myself?
Yoga today on zoom and a walk later. I will try to watch some comedies Mick and see if they have an uplifting effect.
I hope all those of you who are poorly make a good recovery. Try not to be too anxious about your DD Sar.
She's young remember smile

Alygran Tue 26-Jan-21 08:56:43

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s another frosty morning here. It didn’t quite clear yesterday but it’s supposed to be warmer today.
I have some ironing to do, calls to make and a zoom meeting so a day with a bit more going on than of late.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Anniebach Tue 26-Jan-21 08:58:38

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

nanna8 Tue 26-Jan-21 08:59:35

Australia Day today , had a BBQ with some of the family. Wet day after extreme heat the last couple of days but it is welcome for the plants and garden. It is a public holiday, quite controversial these days.

Greyduster Tue 26-Jan-21 08:59:42

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s cold and grey in South Yorkshire. We had a fairly long walk yesterday that, for some reason, knocked all the stuffing out of me, so much so that I was asleep in my chair at half past eight so was packed off to bed at nine and slept for almost twelve hours! What is going on? Ironing for me today and bathroom cleaning, plus tackling the oven after Sunday’s roast pork dinner. Good crackling makes a horrible mess. Something has to give!
Sheep and cattle it’s good to see you back among us. Hope there’s something good in everyone’s day. Stay safe.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 09:03:19

Ooh you’ve given me food for thought there grannysyb if I don’t need new spex either!

Where are Pantglas and taichinan? I hope all is okay with our friends. x

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 09:05:53

? for you today Grammaretto.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Jan-21 09:11:24

Morning/evening to you nanna8 down in Oz! Why the controversy?

NannyJan53 Tue 26-Jan-21 09:14:51

Good morning from an icy and snowy Black Country.

My friend wasn't too keen on a walk yesterday. She broke both wrists 5 years ago slipping on ice, so I wasn't surprised. MrJan and I went on a walk to and round the park, it was very atmospheric.

No plans (again), so after a bit of pottering will try to finish my book.

Lovely to hear about farm life sheepandcattle, just reading about the lambing tired me out!

Hoping our missing posters are ok.

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 09:16:35

Good Morning All x.
2 degrees on the Costa Mersey and we've lost the brightness as it was yesterday, so it's threatening to do something methinks.
I do need to stock up on cat food but it's only round the corner.
I stocked up for myself from M&S yesterday when D picked me up----you should have seen her trolley piled up !

I was having a chin-wag with the check-out lady and she turned to D and said " you've got a lovely mum ", to which D said " I know "----well it made my day. What a lift ! The first outdoor person I'd spoken to for a month grin.

We hadn't heard up to yesterday whether GD had tested positive so I said maybe not or we'd have heard before now seeing it was Friday when she was tested. Probably just a cold.

At last I'd decided on the flowers for D's 60th Birthday tomorrow in Oz, so ordered them direct from Oz so that she'd get them in time. I had to email it through early.

Another interesting insight into farming from Sheepandcattle , you certainly have to be dedicated to early starts and late finishes with everything involved as the seasons dictate. Tough work but with its rewards.

Hoping the poorly DD's get well soon, always worrying regardless of age. xx More so when you can't do anything about helping out.

Yes, TV is lousy once the weekend's gone. I've been following Charley Boorman with his photographer ( Mungo ) roughing it overland from Ireland to Australia. It's on on Sunday nights. He does the extreme travelling and is a likeable character, so look forward to that. He'd reached the Middle East and India, so a way to go yet. CH 5, 9pm Sunday.

Nothing on the agenda today and won't need any food for a month. When/if the weather picks up soon, I'll trim the shrubs with the shears, if they haven't gone blunt. I wished I'd planted some bulbs in the empty containers I've got, just for some colour and cheer.

I do hope everyone's doing alright and keeping warm. Look after yourselves and stay safe. Thoughts to those who are struggling---we'll soon have the lighter nights xx
Take care all.

GrannySomerset Tue 26-Jan-21 09:16:51

Wonderful cleaner has arrived to work her magic and DH is having a slow start in order to keep out of her way. Nothing else in the diary but might have a short walk now that the ice has disappeared. Half the back garden is green, half white as the snow is slowly going. I took in the bird feeders last night to clean and disinfect them so must reassemble (much muttered bad language) and refill them or our resident diners will want to know why there is nothing for them.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Jan-21 09:17:03

Good morning, from a dull, cold, but dry bit of Berks. There is still some snow lurking in the shadier parts of our garden and street, so I really hope that we do not get any more.
Good news, I heard from our surgery that I can have the vaccination, on Friday morning at 09.30 am. So it will be a medical day, as my scan is scheduled for the afternoon.
The lovely young Dr who had to phone me with my MRI results, rang yesterday evening, to have a chat and see how I was. I know that they are given follow ups to do, but it was really nice.
Nothing much doing here, except that we do have prescriptions to collect, and a couple of other bits and pieces that we forgot last week.
I was pleased with the big cushion covers I made yesterday, but had to have a good clear up afterwards, as my sewing room floor was messy.
Still think of *Gilly every time I come on GN, so hope she pops in now and again to see what we are up to, and knows we are thinking of her.
Also the other missing 'faces' who used to post.
That's all for now, so take care of yourselves, everybody, and have a good day, whether it be peaceful or productive.

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Jan-21 09:39:04

Hello and good morning from a grey and cold-looking Northampton. The snow is still lying on the ground, and the footpaths look very icy. I shall not be venturing out today.

As usual nothing special planned. I finished knitting DD's scarf yesterday and need to attach the fringe today. Then I shall pick up the cushion cover I started knitting last year, to keep me going until my new pack of wool arrives. I succumbed to temptation yesterday and downloaded another pattern I fell in love with, an unusual cardigan/poncho. Now to choose the wool! This knitting lark is costing me a fortune!

Shall go back and read everyone's posts now and may pop back in later. Have a pleasant day and keep warm.

Georgesgran Tue 26-Jan-21 09:42:13

Good morning from Durham. It’s dry and a bright grey. Lovely walk with DGS yesterday - he has learned a naughty word from his Mummy, when she had a mishap on Sunday!
Nothing much on today but to print off a returns label to return an unordered item - so today’s outing will be to the Post Office. No word yet on DH’s vaccine - it will come.
Stay safe everyone. X

Stilllearning Tue 26-Jan-21 09:58:46

Another morning from cold S Lanarkshire, I enjoyed my walk yesterday, we had a lovely clear blue sky. Today it’s very grey, we could well have more snow. Lovely staff at Tesco have replaced my out of date crumpets so I’m looking forward to my coffee break (from doing nothing!)
Quite a big worry for one of my daughters, her husband’s large firm are very suddenly changing the contracts of a small number of staff ‘in order to rationalise’ their new payroll system. This will mean a large drop on salary with of course knock on effects on their pension. This is all to be done within the next three weeks with no real consultation only window dressing as it were. They are really worried and distressed, I do hope something can be done.
Good wished to everyone.

harrigran Tue 26-Jan-21 09:59:09

Good morning from a frosty NE.
Had a really bad night, had tummy ache so went to bed early, didn't sleep and even when my tummy was empty the pain continued.
Quiet day for me.
Sister, in Germany, has been told there is no vaccine for them yet and she is 80.
Stay safe.

CherryCezzy Tue 26-Jan-21 10:05:40

Good morning everyone. Grey and damp in the Gower and all the snow we had has melted.

Great joy of the dentist for us both at lunchtime today. I never used to mind it but I do now, ever since I had to have a tooth removed ?. Oh well at least it'll get us out of the house which is a bit of relief.

What else to do today is the question. I've joined you in becoming a couch potato Marydoll. I am worried about a friend of mine as I haven't heard from her for a week, which is unusual, so I hope I can get through to her today. That's not going to get me off the couch though ?

I wondered where you'd got to yesterday Lins, keep on keeping on, not many of us have much to report these days.

Thinking of Pantglas and Taichinan, hope you are both okay. Hope you are feeling more at ease today Susan ?

Take care one and all and be kind to yourselves ❤️

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Jan-21 10:07:47

Urmstongran, I would imagine Australia Day is controversial as it celebrates the 'discovery' of Australia by white Europeans. Whereas the indigenous people would argue that the country had been there and populated by them for many thousands of years before that. I remember from living in Darwin the tension between the aborigines and other races.

sheepandcattle, love hearing about your farm. Wiltshire is my home county, and although I haven't lived there since the 1960s it remains my favourite. Used to visit frequently but have very little family left there now. Just wondering where you are

Mapleleaf Tue 26-Jan-21 10:10:53

Good morning all,

Another cold but cloudy day in South Yorkshire though the frost has gone and the sun is now trying to shine.

It sounds very busy on your farm, Sheepandcattle. I hope you find the time to make that soup, though.

I must make an effort to go for a walk today - I had intended going yesterday but the ice and cold breeze put me off, but sitting around is not a good idea.

A lot of shoots are popping up through the ground now, some with tight buds on them, which is a very welcome sight. I love springtime, when everything begins to come back to life, so it's certainly something to look forward to. I even ordered some vegetables in preparation for spring the other day, which are due to arrive April, and some seed potatoes which I'm told should be here in the next few days, so I've saved an egg box for chitting them. I grew some potatoes in two large pots for the first time last year, and was really pleased with them, so I'm hoping for repeated success this year.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, only skimmed, so will go back and read them at a leisurely pace.

To all with worries, illness or concerns, I do hope today brings you some improvement. Take care everyone ?.