Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you stopped doing since lockdown?

(149 Posts)
Foxglove77 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:37:55

As I only venture out for essentials now, I have stopped wearing a bra! I have always found them uncomfortable but felt it was a requirement in the office. No more sore points from the underwire! Bliss. Have you given up on something you thought important before the pandemic?

AnnieOaklea Thu 28-Jan-21 09:46:31

Alcohol ? I decided back in March when the first lockdown kicked off that I simply couldn’t justify popping out for a “nice bottle of wine” as a treat, as it wasn’t essential shopping. I don’t miss the alcohol at all but I can’t say I’ve lost any weight, as chocolate has now replaced my wine vice!

SueEH Thu 28-Jan-21 09:48:32

The industrial strength bra has been swapped for a pretty and comfortable stretchy crop top but the make up, perfume and earrings will never go... I feel undressed without them. Even it it’s just me smile

inishowen Thu 28-Jan-21 09:49:12

Stopped wearing makeup. No point when wearing a mask. Stopped colouring my hair. Its a straggly mess with no hairdressers open. Stopped my daily glass of wine. Felt it wasn't good for me. Stopped buying loads of charity shop books as they're all closed.

Mollygo Thu 28-Jan-21 09:50:01

Swimming
Getting up at 06.30?
Eating out
Coffee with friends
Choir
Haircuts. DH is happy to do colours but I wouldn’t let him near me with scissors
Manicure and gel polish
I put more make up on for zoom meetings than I do for masked trip to the shops.
Visiting distant family
Meeting up just for browsing shopping
Wearing shoes with heels - just not suitable for the walking exercises.
Couldn’t give up a bra, but those bra-tops souls like a good idea.

Elvis58 Thu 28-Jan-21 09:50:23

Not seeing my grandchildren.August l last saw them.l could cry just thinking about it!

NannyDaft Thu 28-Jan-21 09:52:57

Doing my days with my Grandchildren

Lilyflower Thu 28-Jan-21 09:57:05

I still put my armour on to meet every day: pressed clothes, polished shoes, jewellery, lippy etc.

However, I have enforcedly had to stop having my hair cut and coloured due to the ban on hairdressing during the Lockup so am making extra effiorts to keep it neat and styled.

Never say die!

annab275 Thu 28-Jan-21 09:57:21

Days out with kids and grandkids, birthday meals out, day trips to Wales, charity shopping and lunch with friend, driving except to food shop, library visits. But I have bought new bras, make up, and clothes. Determined to keep making an effort. Clothes I used to save for best are now worn to do housework!

Moggycuddler Thu 28-Jan-21 09:58:17

Theatre, cinema, shops, meals out . . . i go without a bra for the odd day, when I know there's no deliveries or anyone coming to the door. No earrings. Given up buying new clothes. Why bother?

TerriBull Thu 28-Jan-21 10:05:21

A host of things like other posters. Haven't seen children and grandchildren since before the winter lockdown, all the obvious stuff like meeting up with friends, going out for a meal, cinema, I resigned from my health club, look forward to joining another once we are well out of the woods, going to the library, hairdressers, got in one appointment when the lockdown eased last summer, going away sad although did manage to get a brilliant week in in Devon back in September so am grateful for that, going food shopping frequently, rather than sparingly. So taking all that into account, tend to dress down, leggings round the house, do do a cursory make up, often leave earrings off these days. Flat trainer type shoes of course! a walk is all we can do now. I don't get newspapers as often, would often get a freebie in Waitrose when I shopped more frequently. My husband still gets The Sunday Times but that's about it for us.

harrysgran Thu 28-Jan-21 10:05:32

Bra started to wear soft crop tops in first lockdown jewellery other than small stud earrings occasionally to stop my ears closing and I can't remember the last time I struggled with a pair of tights

jaylucy Thu 28-Jan-21 10:06:35

Stopped wearing make up. As someone that used put on the slap even if I wasn't actually planning to leave the house, it's a big change.
So what if I have broken veins on my cheeks (always hated that since my teens) if wearing a mask, no one can see them anyway!
Sadly I have had to throw out a virtually brand new tube of mascara. I bought it, used it twice and under the 3 month rule, it had to go! Thankfully not an expensive brand!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 28-Jan-21 10:09:07

Stopped going out.......anywhere.

Still wear makeup everyday. No jewellery. Only ever wear stretchy bras, no wires, padding or fastenings so haven’t given up on those.

Tonucha Thu 28-Jan-21 10:12:44

Spending half the week on the boat. We COULD visit, but not sleep on it, so, two hours there and two hours back, WITH A CAT in the car, is not feasible.
Husband is climbing the walls!

Cuckoo22 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:14:02

My freedom. I’ve hardly been outside my home due to health, so that means not seeing my friends. I live alone, so that means not touched by human hand for nearly a year ( no family). Thank goodness for the Internet. Just a once a week check in with friends though as they are busy talking to their families, I know it will change, it will be so good to see people again.

Grandmacosway3 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:20:48

Hugging and kissing friends. Wonder if I'll want to do it when we're allowed. It's the easiest way to stop any germs spreading.

Theoddbird Thu 28-Jan-21 10:24:43

By not wearing a bra you are putting a strain on muscles. Just find a comfortable bra.

sue01 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:26:11

Yes. For the first time in 30 years I'm not going to the Gym. Knew I needed to replace the exercise with something.... looked on Gransnet and found the answer... an American called Leslie Sansone who runs at home exercise classes. They're fabulous. Choose from 15, 30 or 45 minutes. Free. And DH does them too ! He would never have joined an aerobics class at the Gym. So.... 12 months on, we're fitter and have lost some weight too. Well done Gransnet !

Lisaw1 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:26:34

no earrings makeup perfume but most importantly I have stopped smoking

Blondiescot Thu 28-Jan-21 10:29:17

Caring...what's the point?

timetogo2016 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:30:31

Well i`m breathing as everything else has been stopped for me.
Thanks to covid.

Hetty58 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:31:31

I had already ditched the bra, jewellery, makeup etc. (except for special occasions) long ago, so now, I've abandoned tidying up, dusting and hoovering - except when obviously essential. Nobody is visiting or coming to stay, after all.

Instead, I've packed away all the bedding, cushions, pictures and ornaments in each spare room and closed the doors. There's just a sheet on each bed to protect it from dust.

I have a cosy bed-sitter in my front room and live downstairs. It's lovely!

At some point in the future, we'll be up and running again!

Noreen3 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:32:44

stopped having hair coloured,as too messy to do at home.
Stopped lots of other things I enjoyed,as not allowed any more,all we can do is essential shops and exercise

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:33:48

Stopped putting my jewellery on each day.

hulahoop Thu 28-Jan-21 10:48:07

Stopped looking after gc
Going out for day on train
Going for trail round shops and having meals out.