Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you stopped doing since lockdown?

(149 Posts)
Foxglove77 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:37:55

As I only venture out for essentials now, I have stopped wearing a bra! I have always found them uncomfortable but felt it was a requirement in the office. No more sore points from the underwire! Bliss. Have you given up on something you thought important before the pandemic?

GlammakAz59 Thu 28-Jan-21 17:05:31

Honeypot I'm sorry these things have happened hugs and ? for youx

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 17:13:10

Stopped handling cash. I have not been to a shop for eleven months and since than all shopping has been done on line.

Catlover21 Thu 28-Jan-21 17:30:18

Dieting, and no I don’t miss it

JadeOlivia Thu 28-Jan-21 18:00:58

Stopped travelling. Stopped spending money on myself generally and spent much more on the house. Washed fewer clothes and ironed clothes less. Stopped reading magazines as they are no longer in doctor' s waiting room/ hairdresser' s.

Mollygo Thu 28-Jan-21 18:41:19

Sue241 it’s certainly been a saving in clothing purchases this year for me too.
No holiday clothes, but I had to buy DH a couple of jumpers because he doesn’t usually walk a lot in the winter.

Roxie62 Thu 28-Jan-21 18:44:44

I am not wearing jewellery and am not wearing office clothes. Tempted to ditch the bra as underwire not comfy. No drinking alcohol at the mo but that may change. Instead eating cake and chocs.

Florida12 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:41:43

Wearing a bra,
Makeup,
Worrying

hicaz46 Thu 28-Jan-21 20:07:58

Stopped wearing a bra
Stopped wearing earrings unless I’m zooming.stopped Stopped constantly tidying - no one is visiting
Stopped wearing ‘going out clothes’

Flakesdayout Thu 28-Jan-21 21:18:07

Ive stopped going out.
I no longer wear my rings or watch.
No longer wear make up - mascara if I do go out (hospital appt) Lips are behind a mask.
I do not wear 'office' clothes, just comfy wear,

Longdistancegrnny Thu 28-Jan-21 23:12:45

Well said Honeypot (so sorry for your recent losses) - ladies, why don't you wear your make-up, earrings and other jewellery just for you? I would not dream of going out for my exercise without my usual make up, sometimes I even swap my jeans for a skirt and boots, just for a change, it does me good! I must admit I don't do my nails so often though. I do miss swimming, the few swims I fitted in between lockdowns were bliss!

Jennyluck Thu 28-Jan-21 23:37:18

Hardly ever wear makeup now, I used to wear it all the time. Still do my hair every day. I do my own colour, which looks ok. But I think I look much older than before all this started.

Allegretto Thu 28-Jan-21 23:44:57

Stopped wearing rings, watch, bracelet, all of which I used to wear every day. I still put my earrings in every day and I’ve started wearing a Fitbit.
Stopped going to the hairdresser (I’ve been cutting my own fringe and DH trims the back)
Stopped going to the beauty salon (& how I miss it). I do put a tiny bit of makeup on every day and I do wear perfume.
Stopped going to the podiatrist
I’ve not been in a shop since March.
Stopped going to restaurants and coffee shops and I’ve not had a takeaway (even a takeaway coffee) since March.
Bring on the vaccination. I’ve my sleeve rolled up and ready!

Nannina Fri 29-Jan-21 00:28:37

10 months Shielding so the bra went ages ago as did the haircut. Only wore make up and jewellery for nights out so that’s long gone. Main loss is shoes, I developed swollen legs/feet during lockdown so can’t fit in any of my shoes so having to do my daily totter in flip flops

Shropshirelass Fri 29-Jan-21 08:28:34

Stopped running around after everyone else!

Iam64 Fri 29-Jan-21 08:48:18

Shropshirelass, I miss my family, especially my daughters and grandchildren. I miss baby Thursday, our usual childcare day but ..... you make a very good point. No more of those phone calls “what you doing, mum? Can you just......”.

LesterGran Fri 29-Jan-21 09:53:27

I stopped wearing make up and that's probably it

WishIwasyounger Fri 29-Jan-21 10:31:42

I'm really missing not hugging my children and grandchild, its so difficult.
I too seem to wear the same clothes all the time and no makeup, but hopefully that will all change when we get back to normal.
Still wearing a bra, croptops are no good for me.
Routine cleaning went out of the window ages ago: it gets done when it looks like it needs it.

YoohooLindylou Fri 29-Jan-21 13:08:06

It's cheered me up reading the last 6 pages, I don't feel like I've given up on myself now. I am over 70 and live alone. I can relate to every one of the comments in one way or another. I'd like to add I've given up washing my laundry the usual way. Like others I only wear 1 jumper and thermal vest and jogging pants and a zip fleece a week, alternate with another set, (change socks & pants daily) bedding changed weekly with towels etc, no cooking for anyone, no visitors, no going out only 1hr local walk daily, so they don't get dirty. I put my washing on Rinse/Freshenup dial 18mns and only use fabric conditioner. In Oct last I went in the loft to swap my summer clothes for four bags of winter clothes (including Christmas parties, nights out etc), three bags going back unused, sad but my daughter taught me a mantra........you're not stuck at home, you're safe at home.......

melp1 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:05:55

Calling in to see relatives and friends
Having family stay over
Hugging
Swimming
Eating out
Cafes
Shopping
Holidays

Marilla Fri 29-Jan-21 16:10:42

yoohooLindylou what a refreshing and positive phrase!

effalump Fri 29-Jan-21 16:44:40

Hobbies, mainly because my mum developed Alzheimers during the first lockdown and I now spend most of my time helping her as her mobility is pretty bad. Also, I miss having deep conversations as mom's a chatterbox but nowadays it difficult to understand what she's trying to say. I remember seeing something on YoutTube that said a conversation with someone with AD doesn't contain any nouns, adjectives or verbs. It's mentally exhausting. Sorry for the doom and gloom but this is my life at this time.

Scottydog6857 Fri 29-Jan-21 20:00:08

I have just about given up on life during the lockdown!
I suffered from depression for many years before the pandemic came along and was hospitalised in September 2019 following a suicide attempt! I wish I could say it helped, but it has actually made me even more depressed and I am still traumatised by it! So much so, that it has damaged my relationship with my GP and from now on, I point blank refuse to speak to anyone connected with mental health!
My relationship with my husband has deteriorated over a number of years, since we both had to retire early due to ill health, and bankruptcy followed. That was in 2012 and he thinks I should have got over it by now - as far as I am concerned, I will never recover from the effect it has had on my life! Now that we are virtually cooped up with each other 24/7, I am teetering on the edge yet again!
I waited over 2 years to see a psychologist on the NHS for help with my depression and associated issues with extreme anger. I got only 3 sessions with her before the pandemic came along and all NHS mental health services were cancelled in the area where I live! I have since discovered that this psychologist has left the NHS and now works exclusively in the private sector, charging £100 for a 40 minute appointment! Going private is not an option I can consider, being on a low income!
I have looked into receiving some support from mental health charities, but the waiting lists are very long, due to Covid-19! I really don't know what the answer to my problem is, but at this rate, I actually feel that getting and dying from Covid-19 would be a welcome release! I am nearly 64, and this is not at all how I envisaged my retirement! sad

hollysteers Sun 31-Jan-21 17:53:55

Scottydog I’m so sorry to read your sorrows, what a hard time for you!
Yes, there is a big price to pay to keep ourselves safe’.
I know this sounds lighthearted, but is there anything you enjoy doing that you could throw yourself into and take your mind off things for a bit?
Also, could you have a little break from your husband to recharge your batteries? Have you got a pet? That can help too.
I do sympathise with you.