Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown positives and lifestyle changes

(62 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 28-Jan-21 08:27:47

Are there any? I found that I have ditched a few activities since our lockdown because I found I was happy without them and it was nice to spend more time mooching around the garden and having no pressure to go anywhere. I realised I was just involved in too many activities. The simpler life appeals.
More cooking and experimenting, more phoning friends, more walking locally and talking to neighbours. Not all bad, in other words.

Seefah Fri 29-Jan-21 21:44:06

I’ve got a long list of positives !
I don’t have to travel in fact last December/Jan I took 6 flights and on the last one I prayed just to not have to travel I was so sick of it , just to be in one place and stop travelling and it happened!
I was dutiful visiting relatives and now I can just zoom, phone
I don’t have to entertain for business
I can work online no tubes bus etc
I don’t have to worry about clothes
I can do gp by email ( fantastic )
Save money on restaurants ( now DH and I fill a flask of coffee and go to stare at the sea in the car for a change of scene lol cheaper)
I’ve had time to sort cupboards
Written a book
Lots of time for reading
Spent lots of time with DH
Reconnected by email with old friends
Walked much more
I could go on lol .....
To cut a long list short I’m loving it

melp1 Fri 29-Jan-21 22:12:09

Its made us realise it was time to move.
We put the house up for sale and are now waiting for a moving date. Been really busy sorting out 40 odd years of clutter from loft, garage, shed, hoping the Charity Shops open soon, don't want to take things to the tip, when they might be useful for someone.
The new house will suit us better, downstairs lou and utility plus bigger kitchen (I've a small galley kitchen at the moment. ) I can have a dishwasher and not have to go into the garage to use the dryer or get items from the freezer. I'll be sad to leave as its where we brought up our 2 sons but the garden is now getting hard work for us and the drive is very narrow and hard to reverse up as we get older.
Covid has made us really look at how we were living,

ginny Fri 29-Jan-21 22:28:13

Umm....... no can’t think of any positives. Dull and restrictive. I commiserate with those whose say life is not much different to what it used to be.

ayse Fri 29-Jan-21 22:39:19

I’ve not been as busy for at least 3 years since I finished my OU degree. Since last March I’ve bubbled with daughter and GCs aged become housekeeper, teacher and now teaching assistant Monday to Friday and home for 2 days of relaxation at the weekend. All my craft activities have been reduced but cooking dinner for 4 has made up for it. For me, it’s a temporary change with new experiences, keeping me busy all day.

I admit to looking forward to a more leisurely pace of life when lockdown ends, hopefully in the not too distant future.

ayse Fri 29-Jan-21 22:39:47

GCs are 6

Moggycuddler Sun 31-Jan-21 09:48:39

Definitely spending less!!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 31-Jan-21 10:10:07

Lockdown has not made a lot of difference to us because we were living quietly before it started. It is however becoming tedious now and we are looking forward to the day when we can go out and about again.

School children being at home means there are far fewer sweetie papers to pick up on the grass verge between our fence and the pavement, as they are not going past to get the bus to school.

I don't think there are any other advantages.

Georgesgran Sun 31-Jan-21 11:33:21

Can’t think of anything other than saving money - but for what??

Not seeing my real friends - I’ve long since ditched the ‘fair weather few’. Hardly seeing DGS and can’t offer much help to DD2 in a difficult first pregnancy (SinL has really stepped up though).
DH has terminal cancer - so he could have had his last Christmas. It’s all so uncertain.

Plus we are all a year older. A year we’ll never get back!

sandelf Sun 31-Jan-21 11:34:48

My life is no longer dominated by noisy extraverts who have no concept of 'too loud', 'too crowded', etc. We don't have daily fast food litter (live on a walking route to secondary school). I have peace and time to read, walk and learn new flute pieces.

rosie1959 Sun 31-Jan-21 11:42:50

No cant think of one positive apart from has taught me not to waste life.
Cant wait for the restrictions to be lifted

JaneNJ Sun 31-Jan-21 13:36:02

I work from home now and enjoy more light, space and freedom than at the office. I spend less. Read more. Have taken up knitting—an old hobby and have added more variety to my cooking. I’ve also learned that I am able to be on my own. Best of all, my marriage has been closer than ever.