Gransnet forums

Chat

This amused me.

(75 Posts)
Grandma70s Sun 31-Jan-21 09:54:50

My brother made a mistake when ordering milk delivery via an online form. He meant to order two pints, but somehow managed to order forty-two, all of which were on his doorstep the next morning. They managed to give them away to neighbours and the local food bank.

That evening they wanted to make custard, but found they had got rid of their milk so thoroughly that they didn’t have enough left.

MamaCaz Mon 01-Feb-21 09:54:28

Your post has reminded me of something that happened to me, Lindaylou55 ?

Back when my Spanish wasn't great, I asked for a quarter of a kilo of mushrooms in a Spanish supermarket. The assistant then said something to me that I didn't understand. Stupidly, I pretended I understood, and just nodded. She gave my a funny look then walked away.
Five minutes later she reappeared with loads of carrier bags over her arm, and started to fill them with 4 kilos of mushrooms!

When I realised what was happening, I stopped her (much as I love mushrooms, no way could I eat that many!), but she wasn't a happy bunny, and boy was I embarrassed!

narrowboatnan Mon 01-Feb-21 09:55:38

NotSpaghetti

*Lexisgranny*, bananas are currently under pressure as there are many less coming in from Ghana. They are having to pay nearly £100 per tonne in duty since the new year and Brexit. They are trying to negotiate an exception but nothing yet. The production from Ghana sells a huge proportion of their crop here and some growers apparently may go bust if a deal isn't sorted soon.

I thought Ghana was part of the Common Wealth countries, not the EU so shouldn’t be affected by Brexit or import duties? Confused now.

Pebblesterrier Mon 01-Feb-21 10:08:54

Thank you - made me chuckle ?

icanhandthemback Mon 01-Feb-21 10:16:04

What a brilliant story. We used to keep a lot of chickens with people knocking the door to buy eggs. Having had a run on them, I took the last tray into the kitchen so they wouldn't be sold. Cue one small boy who managed to sweep them to the floor, breaking every single one. How it hurt to have to shop for eggs whilst paying for the chicken feed!

Deed5y Mon 01-Feb-21 10:16:50

We booked a table in a small local restaurant for Sunday lunch a while ago but at the time we weren’t sure whether it would be just for the two of us or a couple of friends may join us. The booking person wrote in the reservation book, 2/4 people. When we arrived for lunch (just the two of us) we were surprised that there was just the one long table set, which we were taken to. After a while, we were asked when the rest of our friends would be arriving. Hearts sank when they realised that someone had read 2/4 as 24. They’d had to turn down many reservations.......

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Feb-21 10:20:04

Just googled thus to check nartowboatnan
Here's what "Bananalink" says (lol- bananalink!)
www.bananalink.org.uk/news/post-brexit-trade-deal-with-ghana-almost-done-but-tariffs-have-already-hit-banana-imports/

buylocal Mon 01-Feb-21 10:23:47

The benefits of a good sized freezer.

V3ra Mon 01-Feb-21 10:23:49

Spice101 tell your son to slice the limes and freeze them between layers of baking parchment. Then they're ready for his cocktails any time and keep really well.
My sister taught me this trick, I do it with lemons and oranges as well.

OmaforMaya Mon 01-Feb-21 10:33:18

silverlining48

When (at the start of lockdown no. 1 ) we placed our first supermarket delivery I thought we needed a treat so ordered a pack of hobnob biscuits. Then decided that might not be enough so increased order to two packs. Twenty two packs of hobnobs were delivered. Luckily they keep. grin but not for long!

Wow a packet of Hobnobs for a treat...? You were really pushing the boat out Silverlining. shock

timetogo2016 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:36:59

Always a good start to the day when you read something that makes you LOL.
Thanks Grandma70s.

Summerfly Mon 01-Feb-21 10:46:30

Oh my goodness. That’s so funny, but what a shock it must have been.
Reminds me of my online grocery shop a while ago. Included in my order was one box of mushrooms. Imagine our surprise when one mushroom arrived with a price sticker attached. It gave us a good laugh ?

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:54:52

Spice101, tell your son, limes freeze well if sliced or quartered first& popped in zip-lock bags,which also means you can pop them straight in drinks instead of ice cubes too.

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 10:57:11

Yes, tales like this remind me why i DONT let my 2 youngest sons (17&22) do the family shop online by themselves to save me a job....??

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:00:40

Sorry V3ra, had not seen your post first- but i dont faff about with baking parchment, i just throw them in a ziplock bag, they just pull off easy easy enough when needed.

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:04:14

Wasnt Ghana was in EU?hmm

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:05:01

*wasnt Aware Ghana was in EU?- typo, sorry.

Nannan2 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:07:55

If id known theres a banana shortage id have frozen the last 3 i had which had gone over- ripe when 'helpfully' they were binned.?

nipsmum Mon 01-Feb-21 11:12:56

I made the mistake with the bananas once too. I've been very careful since though. If you are not used to ordering groceries on line it takes a few mistakes to get it right. At the moment Tesco in our area is restricting the amount of bottled water you can buy to 4 bottles, Strangely though you can buy unlimited amount of milk.I would have thought water was the easier of the 2 and least likely to run out off.

Ijustwantpeace2020 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:26:44

In 1978 I asked my husband to buy 1000 nappy liners (I was going to use terry nappies when the baby was born). He went to Boots and asked for 1000 disposable nappies. I had explained a box of 200 nappy liners was about the size of a tissue box. He brought home 260 disposable nappies in a box that he could barely fit in the car! I’m surprised I never went into Labour there and then! But we did use all the disposables eventually.

Tizliz Mon 01-Feb-21 11:28:38

You have to learn the tricks of supermarket shopping. If something is restricted look for packs. Water comes in packs of 4 bottles and you can buy 4 of them. Bananas either single or in a plastic bag ? of 5, you can buy 4 of each.

I always return my mistakes, driver is always happy to take excess back.

4allweknow Mon 01-Feb-21 11:41:44

Only last week made a bit of a slip up with click and collect. Meant to order 4 red onions, received 4 kilos. Didn't notice until home as they were at the bottom of box. Neighbours are making a variety of meals and chutney!

Rose30 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:41:57

I had 23 tins of Chickpeas delivered by Waitrose. Made a mistake when changing the two to three! Luckily they were happy to take most of them away again!

Natasha76 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:42:16

I've not had anything as amusing as some of these but I did over order on my 22nd December supermarket order by clicking errors. We were just 2 people and I had ordered 3 Kgs of carrots and 3Kgs of sprouts and 3Kgs of Parsnips. Fortunately I was able to hand back the excess to the driver and get a refund. I can't think what I did but I obviously did it more than once.

Alioop Mon 01-Feb-21 11:48:14

That's hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh Grandma70s

NotSpaghetti Mon 01-Feb-21 11:52:24

Sorry to talk more bananas....
???
Nanan2 - the EU gives duty-free access for bananas to parts of Africa, the Caribbean and Pacific (ACP), and the EU has agreements with the Andean region and Central America where they're given tariff reductions.

The UK hasn't done this yet with Ghana - where we get lots of our bananas (though talks are "in progress". This means, on a narrow profit margin, the trade is not viable.
I don't know if we are "talking" about replicating the ACP deal or going to go from country to country to get different deals in different places.

I'm sorry I don't know more - bananas aren't my speciality!
???