Gransnet forums

Chat

This amused me.

(75 Posts)
Grandma70s Sun 31-Jan-21 09:54:50

My brother made a mistake when ordering milk delivery via an online form. He meant to order two pints, but somehow managed to order forty-two, all of which were on his doorstep the next morning. They managed to give them away to neighbours and the local food bank.

That evening they wanted to make custard, but found they had got rid of their milk so thoroughly that they didn’t have enough left.

Tweedle24 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:58:02

As my Ocado order was cancelled last week (don’t know why!). I ordered bananas from the milkman for this morning and they were delivered safely.,

silverlining48 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:02:30

Oma, oh we were indeed as we don’t usually buy biscuits.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:20:42

henetha have to admit I could manage to put way 12 bars of chocolate much easier than 42 pints of milk!

SueDoku Mon 01-Feb-21 12:32:45

On-line order during first lockdown : Ordered 1kg of quite a few things: bananas, carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes ...
One of everything arrived. Didn't make that mistake again.
I did the opposite muse - ordered 3 single leeks and found myself with 3 (large) packets of them...?
Leek & potato soup anyone..?? ?

Sparky56 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:52:23

Ditto - 1 onion and 1 bananagrin

NannyG123 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:16:45

A friend of mine though she ordered 1 bag of potatoes. What turned up was 1 potato.?

Jonah Mon 01-Feb-21 13:19:14

I managed to order online 4X1 ( packs of 4)steaks. Obviously they sent me 4 packs with 4 steaks in each pack, as they are normally packed. As you can guess I meant to order 1(pack) X4 steaks.The bill was a bit of a shock but they went in the freezer anyway. Could hardly blame them.

Riggie Mon 01-Feb-21 13:33:06

My milkman has hust stzrted selling algernative "milks" so I signed up to a carton of oat milk every monday starting today.
Their website is not very user friendly so I was dreading that they would send it every day. Waiting to see what happens!!

cmcpne Mon 01-Feb-21 13:58:50

Not the same but I remember asking for a pound of boiled ham at the cooked meat stall at our local market. I had only been married a few days and had no idea about quantities of things. The stall holder checked ‘a pound?’ ‘Yes’ I bristled back not liking being questioned. Oh how fed up we were of boiled ham sandwiches that week!!

pamdixon Mon 01-Feb-21 14:08:22

glad I'm not the only one with the odd supermarket disaster when ordering on-line. First time I thought I'd ordered 4 packs of salmon fillets and one box of tomatoes - but had done the other way round!! And for some mysterious reason, last week was given a bag of frozen beans instead of some fresh leeks (frozen beans disgusting in my book - very good reason why I've never had them before btw!!). We're all learning by our mistakes.

leeds22 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:15:20

Early in first lockdown I was sent 1 kg of ginger. Froze it in bits and its kept me going all year.

Rosina Mon 01-Feb-21 14:20:52

I made an extremely expensive mistake some years ago; I had placed an order with one grocery chain, and then noticed that another one I used occasionally had a good offer that week if you ordered online. I hastily re ordered the week's groceries, coincidentally at the same time, and was horrified when two delivery vans drew up outside! A couple we knew were at our house when this happened, and were very pleased to go home with salads, fruit and vegetables, milk and yogurt, and quite a lot of fresh bread and cakes. I was absolutely convinced that I had cancelled the first order. An expensive week.

Greciangirl Mon 01-Feb-21 14:55:38

I do online grocery shopping every week and order bananas every week. As yet, there doesn’t seem to be a shortage of them. Broccoli on the other hand has been unavailable on my list for some weeks now.

Larsonsmum Mon 01-Feb-21 15:48:21

I would have thought the person delivering might just have queried it before leaving it there, especially during lockdown when nobody would be requiring it for a houseful of extra guests.

Nannina Mon 01-Feb-21 16:30:57

Sorry Grandma70s but that really tickled me?

chrissyh Mon 01-Feb-21 18:28:17

Lexisgranny I wish I'd known, you could have had one of my bunches of 6 bananas as I'd inadvertently ordered 3 bunches instead of one. Frantically finding an easy recipe for banana bread.

Lexisgranny Mon 01-Feb-21 18:37:24

chrissyh I know what you mean! Prior to the banana drought of the last 2 or 3 weeks, we were only offered bananas in bags of 7, which proved to be very small. For several weeks we ordered 2 packs, and everything was eaten. However the next order produced 14 of the largest bananas I have ever seen, they were hanging out of a very large fruit bowl!

Patchwork Tue 02-Feb-21 02:58:44

hello from Australia
toilet paper is the "thing" as soon as a lock down is even thought of.. Why --- the shops are open.

One person had so much he endeavoured to return it to the store - no deal. So he is set for life!!!!

Pammie46 Tue 02-Feb-21 05:58:13

So so funny. I ordered 10 potatoes from aldi and received 10 bags. Had to distribute them to my family. Happily they all got used

GreenGran78 Tue 02-Feb-21 14:43:00

This story reminds me of when I entered a prize draw in our local newspaper, years ago. The prize was a year’s supply of milk. With 5 children, it seemed like a great prize, and I was sure that it would be in vouchers, spread over the year.
I received a phone call, telling me that I had won, and was thrilled...until she asked me to collect it as soon as possible, because it was taking up so much room in her office! The year’s supply was in long-life cartons. Fine. I can stack it in the shed, I thought, but when I collected it, filling all my boot and back seat, it was sterilised milk. We all hate it!
In the end I gave a lot away to friends and neighbours, and sold the rest cheaply to our local corner shop, but I was very wary, after that, of prize draws!

Dowsabella Sun 07-Feb-21 11:38:13

Thanks for the laugh! And for all the other amusing stories on here!
My story is that at Christmas, expecting DD and her family to come up to stay with me for a few days, I put in an early order - as requested by my milkman - for lots of extra milk. The government put the kybosh on that one as she lives 100 miles away! A couple of days after Christmas I had a knock on the door. One of DD's friends who lives locally had come round with a bag of goodies (including Kopparberg cider [shhhh wink]) at the request of DD. As DD's friend has a large family, she happily took away my extra milk. But like the OP, I gave away too much and didn't have enough to make cheese sauce!

Candy6 Sun 07-Feb-21 13:49:14

That’s so funny. Reminds me of the time I ordered just 8 Brussels sprouts on my online food order (there’s only me and my daughter who likes them) and I ended up with 8 bags! Luckily I noticed before the driver left and I returned them. Although I do like sprouts, somehow I didn’t fancy sprout soup!

Susiewong65 Sun 07-Feb-21 13:55:24

Wow,42 pints of milk on the doorstep !

That’s one big doorstep grin

Yammy Sun 07-Feb-21 18:38:26

My husband did the same with the inserts for loo roll holders and plastic syringes. When we moved a lot of holders were broken and he meant to order 5 instead he ordered five boxes of Ten, about three have been used over the years. If anyone went into our shed they would wonder what we were up to, enough fillers for the loo roll holders for the village and 50 plastic syringes with long tubes attached. Again ordered by mistake and never returned. They had been for the blocked outflows from the sinks. We obviously have problems with our plumbing.