Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you/ are you planning to ‘downsize’

(106 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 01-Feb-21 08:15:43

Lots of our friends have either gone into a smaller property or a retirement village but we like our house and find a use for the 4 bedrooms so we are staying put for now. There are some things which might become more difficult as we get older (stairs for one, big garden ) but we love our outdoor area and the privacy we have here.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 14-Apr-21 13:06:51

I downsized about eight years ago. I've no garage now or conservatory and I do miss these a bit. I've also 'lost' a kitchen/diner and utility. Although it is ultimately for the best I'll always hanker after the larger kitchen.
I adored the garden but it was too big for me to look after single-handed. It's swings and roundabouts, isn't it?

kissngate Wed 14-Apr-21 13:33:30

Lbc1955 - yes it is swings and roundabouts. We opted for a nice kitchen, bathroom and conservatory over large garden and privacy.

Pittcity Wed 14-Apr-21 15:59:54

We successfully downsized a month ago from a 4 bed detached to a 3 bed semi. It's so liberating getting rid of stuff! So much less to clean and much lower bills. We only need 2 bedrooms for us and DS when he's on leave.
We moved to a quiet estate that is right in the heart of town and next to a park. We therefore have no need for a large garden and can concentrate on enjoying life rather than house maintenance.

M0nica Wed 14-Apr-21 18:04:01

Bazza, the house being visible from the road is no protection from break-ins and ladders are not always necessary..

Our last house was the outside of a pair of rather grand and tall Victoran semis. We were the corner house overlooking a busy crossroad, with traffic lights in the university area of town.

On a warm summer evening in broad daylight, someone shinned up a drainpipe at the front of the house. There was a small roll of brickwork sticking about 2 or 3 inches from the main wall. The burglar edged along that for about 10 feet, incuding going past one window to get to the one that was open a couple of inches. He opened the large sash window and climbed in.

He could be seen clearly by students walking up and down, cars stopped at the traffic lights, people going past the house on the top deck of buses.

When we called the police they simply would not believe that this was how he made his entry, but eventually having cjecked all the other locked doors and windows, plus the footprint, fthey were finally convinced.

As I said, being open to the road, does not stop brass-necked burglars prepared to take a risk, from getting in.

kissngate Wed 14-Apr-21 18:53:47

Pittcity - we wanted a house with a small garden in a village with amenities and that's what we found. Doesnt have an attic either so no room to store junk ;-).