Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday, subbing for Michael

(99 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 03-Feb-21 06:18:21

Good morning all from an overcast E Kent.
Welcome all newbies, don’t forget that to join you need to answer Urmstongran’s questions ?
Yesterday, I treated myself to some lovely Pottery bowls made in Almeria apparently. They’re covered in fish. Fish are rather a love of mine. I love the shape. (I collect fish earrings - now have about 120 pairs...) and before you ask I am allergic to fish and am Aries, so no connection there!
I’m having my vax today - notice the cunning avoidance of the other word. It’s in a shutdown Debenhams, so will take hundreds of vaccinators. Be interesting.
Hope today is gentle with you all. Stay safe. X

Urmstongran Wed 03-Feb-21 08:32:02

X posts Marydoll - The other day she was hugging the laptop to give me a hug was too cute!
❤️

Lins1066 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:33:02

Good morning from a cloudy S Welsh coast.
Nothing planned today except a walk which raises my spirits whatever the weather.
Thank you for the memories * NanKate* they were lovely posters, I do miss Old gaijin and her tales of walks with her old mut.
I signed a petition against the use of those lanterns sheep and cattle it was some time ago now.
Welcome to all the new posters.
Thinking of all missing posters, those in pain and all for whom life is a struggle.
Stay safe everyone and have as good a day as you can.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Feb-21 08:34:53

Good morning everyone from a snow-covered NE of Scotland. I'm not often on GN at this time in the morning, but I do sometimes look at these lovely Good Morning threads. The reason I'm here today is that I have been lighting the fire early and checking on progress of the loss of gas we have had here since yesterday. It doesn't seem as if it will all be back before tomorrow as they have to go round about 4,500 properties to make sure everyone is back on safely. I know life has been a bit repetitive recently, but this kind of excitement we can do without!

Have a good day everyone, and stay warm!

Beechnut Wed 03-Feb-21 08:39:34

Urmstongran

X posts Marydoll - The other day she was hugging the laptop to give me a hug was too cute!
❤️

It brought a tear to my eye.

Gingster Wed 03-Feb-21 08:43:08

Good morning all from a nothing sort of weather day here in Essex. No rain, wind, snow, frost, sun. Nuffink!

I had my Zoom Bridge lesson yesterday and saw and chatted to some old pals. Lovely!

My DGD 1 knocked as she walked past with her dad and gave me my Xmas present. I beautiful bracelet with all the GC’s birth stones on it. How thoughtful!

My DD and smallest GD also walked past at an earlier time . She was stressed and had had a bad morning. Dentist, bank and shopping. She doesn’t drive. Then little one stepped into fox poo on our drive. Her dad (my DH) finished it off and said something to upset her so she stomped off in tears, Carrying 4 bags of shopping. All in the front garden. Oh dear! Families!

Scentia it certainly is a worrying time for your DD and of course, consequently, for you. I’m sure all will be well! Not long now is it? ?.

I’m glad several of you have enjoyed The Dig. I read that when Brown gets buried in the earth, it was actually Ralph Feines under there and they took a long time to get him out. He earned his money!

Sar when you said you haven’t seen the GC for six months, I had a count up and I haven’t seen two of mine for that time too. Brought tears to my eyes.

Left over stew , made into pasties for tonight. Those burgers sound delish kitty. I won’t be able to get them out of my mind now. ?

Wishing you all a good day ♥️

BlueBelle Wed 03-Feb-21 08:53:14

Good morning all, for a moment when I read your opening post grandematte I thought it said I m having my wax today and I had a mind flip
Grey and Misty on the east coast but so much warmer

Anniebach Wed 03-Feb-21 08:53:29

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmabatty Wed 03-Feb-21 08:55:52

Good morning all. Like Marydoll it's wild and wet in Polmont. The lovely tree across the street is waving to me and my hedges are blowing about so the furthest I will go will be the end of the path to collect the bin. A day of no babysitting for me so I shall potter. I have a WhatsApp chat with friends this afternoon. I bought transport stickers for dgs's bedroom in my house so I'll enjoy putting buses and cars etc on his wall as a surprise. I've also been very foolish and ordered him a recorder. What was I thinking? That'll be staying at my house too, so dd said when I told her. I'm lucky, I know, that I see him, as many of you can't see your family. I'm part of their extended household as I live alone. Those lanterns are so dangerous Sheepandcattle aren't they? An imported idea from elsewhere which didn't take account of our countryside. I'm sorry that Viridian is stepping back and wish her well. I had a few days away as I was getting down at negativity. Back now though! Scentia I feel for your daughter. It's such a difficult time to be pregnant. Dwym it sounds like you are on the mend. Don't overdo things though. Marydoll that is heartbreaking to hear of your wee Dolly hugging the screen. Not so good about your heart problems though. Take care of yourself. To all have a good day.

NannyJan53 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:59:29

Good morning from a bright Black Country.

Went out for a walk yesterday afternoon, but it started raining heavily and came back soaked, to hear the sad news about Captain Sir Tom sad

Thank you NanKate for the memories, I too miss Oldgaijin and her walks with her mutt, cannot believe it has been a year!

Take care Viridian hope to see you back soon.

DD emailed a copy of a Certificate of Achievement awarded to DGD aged 12 from her school, for recognition of completing all work to a high standard! Proud Nan smile
Just wish I could visit and hug her!

That was a poignant moment Marydoll of your DGD hugging the laptop, made me quite tearful.

Making a chilli for dinner tonight, with enough to freeze a couple of portions. That is todays excitement!

Wishing you all a good and safe day

Urmstongran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:02:15

grandMattie I meant to say, your collection of 120 pairs of earrings made me feel so much better about my stash of 20 lipsticks! I had a sort out the other day and put them all in one place - they were squirrelled away in handbags, in my make up bag, in a dish on the hall table etc.

Mind you, anyone else notice in these mask-wearing days we aren’t wearing lipsticks?
? ?

brook2704 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:10:15

Hopefully things will get smoothed over soon with your DD gingster I can empathise!
How adorable and cute marydoll hugging the screen!?

harrigran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:18:02

Good morning from a wet NE.
Another day of doing very little.
I have taken to watching Escape to the countey on iplayer, at least it is a change of scenery.
Take care all.

Georgesgran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:21:17

Good morning from Durham. It’s wet again. Like Scentia I’m so worried about DD’s pregnancy - now struck down by a kidney infection and loss of bladder control. Saw her briefly through a window on Monday and she looked awful.
DH isn’t doing well - but wants to ‘see how things go’ as he’s back to Hospital next Wednesday, and says it’s pointless contacting them - his last chemo tablet is tomorrow, then a week off when he might improve. Very negative - sorry.

Nice to see new posters and hope our missing ones ‘lurk’.
Stay safe. X

Auntieflo Wed 03-Feb-21 09:22:25

Good morning GrandMattie, Annie, Mick, Gilly and all.
I had a bad, disturbed night, so feel woolly headed just now, although my first cup of tea was wonderful. DH deserves a medal. Later this year will be our 60th wedding anniversary, and every day I have had a cup of tea brought to me in bed. Except, of course for the few that he was away for work.
Yesterday I posted GGS socks that I had knitted, hope they are not too big, but may do for welly socks.
Thank you NanKate for telling us about Viridian, I hope she will feel able to return soon. Also the mention of Oldgaijin and Mommawolf. Sad.
I started to watch the Joanna Lumley programme, but thought it flitted about too much, so decided to start binge watching Traces. I had watched the first two, but went back to the beginning, to sort it all out.
My DD sent me a link to a crochet pattern of Bernie Sanders, and his mittens, so I have made his body and head, and started on his legs.
Tomorrow is an opticians appointment, then Friday the results of my PET scan.
Have a good day and stay safe and warm one and all.

Greyduster Wed 03-Feb-21 09:28:22

Good morning, all GNs from a brightening but cold South Yorkshire. DH has a runny nose and is cosying up to a box of tissues. Doesn’t bode well if he is coming down with a cold. We may go over to the butchers later and then have a walk round the park. We had a face time with DS last evening and he was very out of sorts because it sounds like their cat is in a bad way. They lost his brother late last year and now it looks as if they are going to lose this one. It wasn’t the easiest half hour we have spent on line with him recently. Just a case of watch this space.
Have the best day you can folks.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:32:04

Good morning all

I am feeling a little bit better each day, still have hardly any energy or appetite but getting there slowly.

Sar53 it’s horrible not seeing the GC, if you are out walking today you might see my little seaside family out en-masse, it’s DIL’s 40th so they are going out for a long walk complete with dogs to celebrate, how I wish I could drive down to join them, but it’s not allowed!!

Homeschooling with the GC that we are allowed to see later. Our other little GC I am convinced think we live in the iPad ?, the older ones give us a curtesy wave as they stroll past on their way to the fridge whilst we talk to their parents!!

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

GrannySomerset Wed 03-Feb-21 09:40:00

A mixed bag of posts this Monday morning, so supportive thoughts to the many with anxieties. An endless January followed by a not very hopeful February is getting to most of us, I think, and we all need something to look forward to.

A blank canvas of a day but even very uncrafty I have a little project. Our lovely WI committee has delivered heart decorating “kit” to all members, to be made up and decorated according to taste and skill and then posted to a member. I am so not good at this kind of thing but will do my best willingly because it is such a nice idea. And sewing is not essential as glue will do, so even I might manage it.

Otherwise just the usual routines of a limited life, but at least no serious worries.

BlueSapphire Wed 03-Feb-21 09:40:56

Hello and good morning everyone from a grey Northampton. Another day of the same old, but try to keep to a routine so that things seem normal.

Had a longer than expected walk yesterday as I had to take a detour to escape a very busy area. It seemed as though everyone and his/her dog were out yesterday enjoying the sunshine. I'm afraid I have started wearing a mask when I go for a walk as it makes me feel a bit more protected and safer. Good for me psychologically.

When I got home I made a large chicken stew in the pressure cooker - enough for two main meals and a soup for lunch. It went down well with a glass of rose. So no cooking for me today.

Not much planned for today; bedding is in the washing machine. Will run the Hoover over downstairs, clean out the cats' litter tray, and put the bins out. Reading, crosswords and knitting to do later. My new book arrived yesterday and is quarantining in the study. Must finish the Sainsbury's order for tomorrow. What a glamorous life I lead...

Hope that today is kind to all.

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Feb-21 09:44:12

Good Morning GranMattie and all GNs from an overcast South Glos.

I woke up late this morning and am still a bit groggy, and mis-read the title of this thread as "sobbing for Michael" instead of "subbing", so that gave me a shock. Was relieved to read it properly. smile On scrolling down, I see Ashcombe thought the same!

Good luck with your vax GM and all who are due to have it today.

NanKate You mention Captain Sir Tom and there was a lovely tribute to him on BBC Breakfast from the people he inspired, including a wonderful small boy - Tony - who wouldn't walk on his prosthetic legs until he saw Captain Tom, and then he said "I can do that" and promptly did!

Captain Tom's saying "Tomorrow will be a good day" got me through some pretty bad tearful days back in April and again in September. I've got stickers around the house saying that.

Well, I must get going and will pop back to read everyone else's news once I'm showered and dressed.

Have as good a day as possible everyone, and special thoughts to all who are sad or troubled. x

Urmstongran Wed 03-Feb-21 09:44:57

Glad to hear of your improvement health wise GG13. x

Blossoming Wed 03-Feb-21 09:49:08

Good morning all from a very soggy Lancashire. I’m still under the duvet. Will get up once my second lot of meds have gone down and I’ve finished my morning tea. As it’s still raining heavily I don’t think I will be going for a walk today. Today’s excitement will be putting up new shower curtains and bathroom curtains that have just been delivered. I heard from an ex colleague yesterday who’d retired a year before I did, nice to have a catch-up.

Look after yourselves, self care is so important these days.

Sparklefizz Wed 03-Feb-21 09:52:32

We have got the new Covid variant in South Glos and also in Bristol, so I'm waiting to hear whether they will be doing door-to-door testing as has been done in a few other areas.

Contact tracing is ongoing. The only time I have left the house since Christmas was to have my vax last Saturday. Fingers crossed nobody there was carrying it as the place was packed.

LauraNorder Wed 03-Feb-21 09:55:23

Good morning grandMattie and all from a dry, fairly bright Anglesey.
Good morning to Mick, come back soon. Same to Viridian.
flowers for Georgesgran and anyone else in need of a little tender loving care.
flowers for absent friends. I do abhor injustice.
Seems we are all taking pleasure from the lovely little moments our grandchildren give us, curtsying as they pass the camera, hugging the laptop, showing off their drawings. We are truly blessed.
Slap on a smile, keep warm and safe.

GrannyOwl5 Wed 03-Feb-21 09:56:52

Good morning everyone from the north Kent coast. It is raining at the moment; think it’s going to be on and off all day.

Had a quiet day yesterday after my jab on Monday evening. It all ran very smoothly and I was in and out in twenty minutes. My arm was sore yesterday and I felt a bit off colour so made the most of it and languished fetchingly on the settee with my kindle and numerous cups of tea lovingly made by DH?. Feel ok today though - although I can feel a relapse coming on at coffee time ?.

Several worried and concerned DDs today; hope things get better for them all. Hope also that those struggling with illnesses and worries have as good a day as possible. Remember “Tomorrow will be a better day”. Think I will adopt that as my motto!

Stay safe.

BlueSapphire Wed 03-Feb-21 09:58:36

sheepandcattle, please keep on with your tales of farming life in Wiltshire; I do love hearing about my home county and keep trying to work out where you are. I am Wiltshire born and bred and always used to get a tingle when I approached my home town, the Cherhill downs and the white horse. We used to go down every year for my birthday, but since DH died nearly three years ago I haven't been able to get there. Miss it so much.