Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you collect anything ?

(128 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:19:06

I have some nice old pottery that people in the family have passed down to me, knowing I enjoy it. I also like small wooden objects though there are only so many you can collect over the years. I love looking round antique shops and op shops for ‘treasures’.

CanadianGran Thu 04-Feb-21 06:39:25

Nothing in particular. I remember my DH asking ages ago when the kids were little if I wanted any figurines etc, just so they would have something easy to pick out for a gift! No thanks...

I do however look to purchase pottery bowls or vases when I travel, but I see these as more practical than actual collections.

Nell8 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:36:01

On my travels (!) I collect interesting pebbles for my kitchen windowsill. When I handle them I'm "transported" back to their place of origin.

I also keep a selection of cones from different conifer trees. These look good as Christmas decorations or as a mulch for plants in containers - although squirrels nick them, given the chance.

Auntieflo Thu 04-Feb-21 09:04:54

I do love coloured glass, and now mum's old china cabinet is bursting.
Most of it came from charity shops, so nothing of value, except to me.
Who will want it? No one I suspect.

Nickysmadhouse Thu 04-Feb-21 10:22:46

Wine bottles, which once were full

I dread recycling Thursday, its like an allotment of greenhouses smashing when they empty the bins ?

JdotJ Thu 04-Feb-21 10:23:16

I collect old Ladybird books - pre 1980 and dating back to the 1940's - have been collecting them for around 10 years now.

HHBBNN54 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:28:42

I used to collect bookmarks the leather ones. Everytime I went on holiday or somewhere I used to buy them and family used to bring me them back from holiday. I stopped after seeing some in a charity shop where I helped out before lockdown that someone had given away. I have a shoebox full sat in the cupboard.

Pap67 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:37:22

Bathsheba.... ?....
My first thought!

rosemarigold Thu 04-Feb-21 10:40:53

Urmstongran

Compliments.
??

Oh, I like this one...a very worthwhile endeavour!

Quizzer Thu 04-Feb-21 10:41:14

I collect eggs from all the places I visit plus a lot picked up in charity shops and auctions. China, glass, wood, stone or metal. They make a pretty display on egg racks and don’t take up too much room. Shame that I can’t remember where some of them are from. I always meant to label them, but never got round to it.

Madbird37 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:43:50

Bathsheba that made me laugh, dusting destroys my own little ecosystem?

kittypaws49 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:46:06

I do love old teasets. but now I have several I wouldn't buy any more. I have a huge collection of magazines and cuttings, I did have a cull a while back still have a lot, British and American Vogue( the latter are as thick as encyclopedias ) and my special weakness, home decor mags. I tell my children that some of them might be collectable one day, so they can sell them . Well, they might !

buylocal Thu 04-Feb-21 10:51:58

I am against 'stuff' in principle - but that needs qualifying. I like to own things that are functional and also attractive. And, I like to have some nice objects that are decorative or remind me of something, especially if I bought them from the artist that made them or they were chosed by one of my children. Even books, even the ones I love, when I have read them, I give them away. I cannot see the point in a book sitting on a shelf when it could be in active use by someone else. Besides, I can use the shelf space for other things that have current benefit.

cupcake1 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:53:00

Noritake China. I have two dressers full of it which I now want to dispose of, lovely as it is. Not really sure how to go about selling it as to fragile to post via eBay. Perhaps I’ll leave it to my AC to sort out when I pop my clogs ?

Lettice Thu 04-Feb-21 10:53:38

I am not counting books, as they are necessities and I seem to have a lot of "needs" of them. So, not really, although all my cupboards and boxes would say something different. Fabric, sewing bits and bobs, paint (oils and acrylics) canvasses. Not really collectibles but they do seem to be amassed and prove irresistible when spied when out and about.

rowanflower0 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:56:29

I have a collection of Coalport and Royal Doulton figurines, Gozo and Mdina glass, 20's & 30's coloured glasswear. 10 000 books and an awful lot of dust!

sazz1 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:01:34

When we downsized I sold or donated lots of ornaments books etc as didn't want to clutter up the new home. Unfortunately daughter did the same and now donates to me to sell, donate or bin stuff she's finished with, text books, DGDs clothes etc.

Casdon Thu 04-Feb-21 11:03:37

There’s no hope for me, I collect plants. As I’ve decluttered the house, I’ve just added more outside.

WoodLane7 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:03:42

Hedgehog ornaments - I have well over 300!

Daffydilly Thu 04-Feb-21 11:05:07

I collect fridge magnets from foreign countries we've visited. It's a manageable collection.

I also appear to have a rather large collection of craft supplies...

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:05:43

Wooden stacking Russian Dolls.
I think I have about 18 of all sizes. I always wanted one as a child but was an adult before I got one. Then it sort of mushroomed ?

Puzzler61 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:07:48

My favourite

Theoddbird Thu 04-Feb-21 11:09:58

I love vintage and art deco china. I also have an interesting collection of mugs. Love quirky things of all sorts and have doves and hearts hanging in the corner of my narrow boat and in the cratch. Oh and the crystals hanging with the doves and hearts...hahaha

Foxglove77 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:10:38

Yes I'm a collector! My biggest is postcards, mostly horses, and some are from the early 1900s by Tuck. I also have phone cards which were popular before mobiles. China horses and Whimsies. Childrens books by Primrose Cumming. I'm trying to stop now as when helping my Mum downsize after 60 years, the stuff was overwhelming. I don't want to leave my children with such a mountainous task!

Alioop Thu 04-Feb-21 11:16:30

Dust!

Azalea99 Thu 04-Feb-21 11:26:56

I used to buy tea towels from places we would visit, but nowadays they’re too expensive and I really don’t need any more. However ..... owls! Irresistible!