Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you collect anything ?

(128 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 08:19:06

I have some nice old pottery that people in the family have passed down to me, knowing I enjoy it. I also like small wooden objects though there are only so many you can collect over the years. I love looking round antique shops and op shops for ‘treasures’.

BlueSapphire Thu 04-Feb-21 17:26:16

I have a collection of Lladro Eskimos and polar bears; always used to love holidays in Spain, as I usually found something new. Think I've got most of them now.

My daughter loved Pendelfin as a child, and has a large collection; think they are now stored in a box.

ss1024 Thu 04-Feb-21 18:20:28

Beach glass as well as sand from around the world. I keep the sand in wavy jars and each one has a metal label attached indicating where it came from.

Hellogirl1 Thu 04-Feb-21 19:28:44

Happysexagenarian, you sound to have more than me, I think I have around 20. They`re quite expensive now that the firm has closed down. I think one of my favourites is Brixham harbour, although we bought it in Scotland!

Diggingdoris Thu 04-Feb-21 19:31:24

I can't resist old blue and white china. I used to buy from charity shops and car boot sales. I've had to stop now as I've run out of storage space. Pressed glass also but only pale blue things. My buffet table does look lovely when we have big family get togethers as I use all the vintage items.

B9exchange Thu 04-Feb-21 19:38:31

No formal collections, but I do like to pick up Christmas tree decorations from any new country we visit.

Musicgirl Thu 04-Feb-21 20:40:30

Another Chalet School lover here. I have always loved china and have some beautiful tea sets but have a trio - cup, saucer and plate from each on display in my cabinet. I have figurines and have collected the Royal Worcester Days of the Week and Months of the Year series. They were originally made in the 1950s and depict children from that era in various poses according to what they are representing. I also have a large collection of Ladybird book (and many,many other ? books) and far too many ? musical instruments ?.

hollysteers Thu 04-Feb-21 21:07:55

Jewellery, but my main passion is for pop up books and toy theatres.
I always keep a pop up book open in the kitchen with stringed lights on it.
The standard of pop up books now is wonderful. If I had had them as a child, I would have been beside myself!

mothertrucker52 Thu 04-Feb-21 21:15:18

When a squirrel built a nest in the tree in the garden where I used to live I bought a crystal squirrel. Suddenly I was known as a squirrel collector, everyone kept buying me squirrels. My daughter ssid "You can never have too many china squirrels:" but you really can ??

Legs55 Thu 04-Feb-21 21:20:22

I too collect Lilliput Lane cottages, I have over 100, I started collecting them when they first started producing them. Many were bought as Birthday & Christmas by my late DH & some by my DD. I have them all on display.

I also collect Giles Cartoon Annuals, I have the 1st one & from no 7 which are all genuine, the early ones which were reproduced a few years ago, books about Giles & anything else Giles related including lots of the Christmas cards which were & still are sold by RNLI, these are all in the cupboards of my display cabinets.

I had to downsize my book collection when I moved but I still can't resist Cookery books.

I have a few original Pendelphins, one is from my childhood, bandstand & figures were bought by my first H & a couple I've bought

My DD has told me she will sell everything when I diegrin, meanwhile I will enjoy themsmile

Lots of fridge magnets, some from NT Properties I've visited, some humerous ones were gifts

scourw Thu 04-Feb-21 22:47:16

Books, dragons and tiny boxes

MissAdventure Thu 04-Feb-21 23:21:04

I just collect clutter.
Nothing of any worth, and none of it matches.

It's like a jumble sale in here.

Alexa Thu 04-Feb-21 23:27:15

I collect old picture postcards of places I have lived in.

Kartush Fri 05-Feb-21 01:18:58

I collect dragons, so far I have about 200 of them

vira70 Fri 05-Feb-21 07:33:10

I have collected Coalport and Royal Doulton ladies of fashion ornaments . Cost me a lot of money a long time ago..Alas I often wonder what will become of them when I am gone,!!! as DD tells me she is not interested in clutter...They are not worth a lot in today’s climate but I love them all ...

LMW1 Fri 05-Feb-21 09:19:14

Buddhas are my thing. They look so serene and remind me to slow down when I see them sat in their corner cabinet surveying the living room ?

Witzend Fri 05-Feb-21 09:46:21

Who else collected those little mini Wade animals as a child?
I had quite a few - goodness knows what happened to them. Though on reflection I probably do - my folks moved area during my first uni year, to a slightly smaller house and my DM got rid of a lot of things, inc. some treasured books of mine.
Many decades later dh ran two of them to earth - identical copies, and one was published pre 1900! - on abebooks. ?

Cnash Fri 05-Feb-21 09:52:50

Has anyone got a halo capsule cordless cleaner? If so how do you find it? I have a dyson currently but design fault means it clogs up daily!

Madammim1 Fri 05-Feb-21 14:02:17

I collect rubber ducks I've probably got about 100 .I was going to take them to the charity shop as I'm trying to declutter but my dd decided she wants them for my dgd when she gets her own room so I'm still having to store them and still buying more when I see them , they aren't worth anything but are very cheap to buy , the most I spent was £8 on a proper duck sized one covered in tattoos

MissAdventure Fri 05-Feb-21 14:21:42

That's a quaint collection. smile
Were they all on show before your declutter?

grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 14:38:27

B9exchange

No formal collections, but I do like to pick up Christmas tree decorations from any new country we visit.

Me too B9exchange.

I collect people. smile. Over the years I’ve had hundreds of people that have stayed in my home, adult students that I’ve taught and people I’ve been involved with at significant times of crisis in their lives. To me, most of them are simply ‘ships that pass’; I’ve helped them out, they’ve moved on etc. However to some of them I’m a significant person and they are determined to stay in touch. Hence, I ‘collect’ people whether I want to or not. I’ve worked it out and for the most persistent it takes about six years for them to finally ‘move on’ from wanting me to be involved in their lives.

Of course there are a great many people who do become part of our extended family, especially the ones who we fostered or who lived with us for a long time (and their subsequent spouses and children) and I love them dearly, but there are only so many relationships that can be sustained meaningfully.

seacliff Fri 05-Feb-21 14:55:58

Not a huge collection, but I love stained glass hanging in the window. It started when I got a star at a Christmas market, in shades of gold, orange and amber. I refused to take it down after Christmas.

I love the different textured glass, and shades of colour.
Since then I have bought several more from individual craftspersons, on Etsy etc. One of my favourites is a big sunflower. With the sun coming through on a winters day, it lifts my spirits.

Seamus89 Fri 05-Feb-21 23:26:48

I have collected different things over the years , jewellery a while ago , especially in the early years of eBay , I was very lucky with a few finds . I like looking through auction house catalogues and finding treasures there .
We did downsize a few years ago and disposed of lots of books and clothes. I wish I still had them ??

Nanna58 Sat 06-Feb-21 09:34:11

Regrets-I have a few.......

polomint Sun 07-Feb-21 01:10:00

Just thimbles I've collected for years but have now stopped. I guess no one will want them once my time is up, so why collect more. I've enjoyed buying them in the past and enjoy looking at them when I dust the cabinet they are displayed in and of course that's why we collect isnt it, to enjoy for ourselves

Marydoll Sun 07-Feb-21 08:29:58

polomint, did you ever subscribe to the thimble museum, which was based in Biggar?
We would go for a day out there with the children, so that I could buy from the shop.
DH used to buy me one to mark special occasions.

Like you, no-one will want mine, when I'm gone.