Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you watch too much TV?

(124 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Thu 04-Feb-21 21:37:04

I think I do. I start my day with about an hour and a half of Good Morning Britain on my working days. On my days off this might be two hours when it will stretch into Lorraine Kelly's programme. I switch off then until 5.15pm when DH and I watch Pointless and then I'm pretty much slumped in front of the TV for rest of the evening until I go to bed. DH is not as bad as me and he will take himself off into another room to listen to music or the radio. When I'm not viewing I'm quite active though, usually doing a lot of walking. I'd be interested to know other GNers viewing habits.

sazz1 Sat 06-Feb-21 21:59:50

I have the TV on all day from when I get up until I go to bed. OH usually watches Piers in the morning and sci fi films in the evening, or QI. I like it on for background noise as I can't stand it too quiet but rarely watch it as I potter around. I'm a late riser and late to bed so watch 24hrs in A&E on More4 when OH has gone to bed around 11 or 12. Occasionally watch The Chase but apart from the News that's it for me.

Luckygirl Sat 06-Feb-21 22:05:19

I watch most of every evening in the winter - but in the summer hardly any. I sit outside and read a book, or potter in the garden. TV does help to see me through the dark winter evenings.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 22:58:34

I know some people think that not watching TV is a virtue, but we have it on a fair bit. We didn’t use to switch on till the evening news, but this last year with more time on our hands we often watch one of the afternoon quizzes, and we enjoy evening ones too (Only Connect, University Challenge, House of Games). Later on we’ll watch a drama - we’re currently enjoying It’s a Sin and The Serpent - or something light like Gogglebox. DH likes travel documentaries and sport, I watch Corrie. We both enjoy a good comedy. I’d say it averages out at about 3/4 hours a day.

And seeing as I’ve just started watching The Crown from the very start, and DH is about to take my recommendation and do the same with Peaky Blinders, I guess the TV’s going to be red hot for the foreseeable future. smile

Annaram1 Sun 07-Feb-21 10:46:59

I think I am living in a parallel universe. Its Groundhog Day...Why are all todays posts old?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 07-Feb-21 10:49:13

I know we do. DH has the TV on from the time he gets up, til he goes to bed.

Craftycat Sun 07-Feb-21 11:05:26

I don't turn it on until afternoon but I do listen to Radio 4 all day from the time I wake up. Probably just as addictive.

Candelle Sun 07-Feb-21 11:22:03

Annaram1, not just me, then!

Graygirl Sun 07-Feb-21 11:39:24

My DH has tinnitus the minute he is down stairs it's on till bedtime, he insists that it helps something about sound waves music or radio does not help
We are open plan can't get away lockdown has been a killer. When alone radio is my thing

Speldnan Sun 07-Feb-21 11:48:37

I watch too much but never actual daytime tv only things on catch up and often on the iPad while cooking or washing up also while on my treadmill walking or running. I’m on my own most of the time so no one to regulate it plus it’s escapism at the moment.

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Feb-21 13:07:16

Annaram1 and Candelle, what do you mean? confused

DanniRae Sun 07-Feb-21 13:49:22

confused from me too Maggiemaybe

polnan Sun 07-Feb-21 14:07:08

Bit like you Sazzl... I have it on for company, since dh died.

don`t watch it that much,, boring stuff..

Puzzler61 Sun 07-Feb-21 14:15:33

We have TV’s on 3-4 hours a day in total (sometimes in different rooms). We don’t think that’s excessive, but
sometimes we listen to music instead.

Harris27 Sun 07-Feb-21 14:45:14

I watch it normally after I’ve done the tea and dishes then sit down for my evening’s tv. However not at work at the moment and have been watching much more. Try not to out it on till after 3pm so I get things done!

SunnySusie Sun 07-Feb-21 16:28:00

We dont watch 'live' TV any more. Usually sit down about 9pm for an hour of whatever looks good on iPlayer, mostly documentaries or travel programmes. I am however an avid user of the internet and regularly spend two hours a day reading news, on e-mail or just surfing.

Lilyflower Sun 07-Feb-21 16:57:53

We never watch TV in the daytime but at nine o’clock the DH and I sit on the sofa and watch something together. It’s usually a Scandi Noir or something subtitled.

Candelle Sun 07-Feb-21 20:07:29

Maggiemaybe and DanniRae: all of the topics today seem to be repetitions- nothing fresh.

arosebyanyothername Sun 07-Feb-21 22:01:04

Too much!, but not daytime television except the news channels.
I watch the evening programs from 7ish or something I’ve recorded

arosebyanyothername Sun 07-Feb-21 22:03:28

I’m more Radio 2 during the day till Steve Wright comes on at 2

MiniDriver56 Sun 07-Feb-21 23:07:36

I watch note because of the Lockdown! Can’t see why not, you choose what you want to do! I do play scrabble online which I enjoy!

Shropshirelass Mon 08-Feb-21 08:13:02

My DH switches the TV on all the time, I prefer to do something else unless there is a good drama or documentary. I often sit down and say ‘isn’t there something better on?’, he replies no, this is all that’s on. My response is ‘you can always switch it off’. This is a regular conversation in our house! I often find out later that I have missed a very interesting programme.

Chewbacca Mon 08-Feb-21 09:05:58

I have a t.v. but I can't remember when it was last switched on; Christmas maybe? The only programmes I've watched recently have been The Great Pottery Throwdown and The Trial of Oscar Pistorious on catchup on my tablet. I have no patience for soaps, game shows or daytime tv.

Floradora9 Mon 08-Feb-21 15:37:13

Seldom watch live TV we record what we want to see and usually limit it to 2 hours per evening . No daytime TV ever and no TV left on just for the sake of it .