Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(109 Posts)
12Michael Sat 06-Feb-21 06:11:04

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , and looks foggy and cold out there in Brackley this morning.
Still trying to get used to being home , went out twice yesterday , got some Fish & Chips and a supermarket shop as well , both causing delays with queing , but no palpitations returned a good sign.
Getting my medication in order , also spoke to my surgery as regards to the coronavirus jab option , also talked about an exemption card as to face mask, and it was a yes , having checked .
Take Care,
Mick

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:03:34

Good Morning all from wet, miserable, Harrogate.
Yesterday had a lovely surprise, DDs arrived, she had won a hamper of chocolates and biscuits, with pots of jam included!
She is into healthy eating (I'm just into eating). While she was handing this over, one mischievous GS had opened the car door, unbelted himself and was all ready to come to get his cuddles.. He is still very much undersized for a 7 year old. not sure if he understands not being able to be cuddled. He has DS, but his brain certainly works in most ways.

Today i have to make 3 crumbles. DH is pleading for no more brambles - can you imagine not wanting brambles?
He's getting brambles!! He helped me pick them last year!

I make the crumble with oatflakes and brown sugar - yum!! - it's almost healthy!!
sheepandcattle so glad you found a calf tor Nancy to suckle.
Think of it the way Marydoll you are too young for the vaccine? Now do you feel better? My BIL is having to go to Edinburgh for his, he lives in D&G, but had a liver transplant 15 months ago in Edinburgh and they insist on doing all his medical care. My DS, however is only 64 so she has to wait for hers. It goes purely by age - not need!!!!

Keep well folks, tomorrow will be a better day!!

Gelisajams Sat 06-Feb-21 10:48:25

A late Good morning from Morecambe Bay where just for a change it’s raining. Not too hard though!
DH is back from his run and is struggling to find his beloved cricket on ch 4. We had Apple TV bought us for Christmas so it forced us to investigate our smart tv and move into the 21st century. DH monopolises the remote so I have my excuses not to help.
Take care everyone and stay safe?

marq66 Sat 06-Feb-21 10:46:27

Morning all from nr Perpignan in S France. I rarely get online before midday as the morning has a series of gentle rituals (breakfast with DH, listening with him to the fascinating Rachel Maddow's US podcast and cleaning before relaxing on the computer). I love catching up on all the postings to read the weather reports, fascinating days everyone is having and how industrious everyone is.It’s a real inspiration! However I’m on here to day before 11am!
My DH has a big smile today due to the arrival of a pack of goodies from M&S (French site) so he's got new T-shirt, socks and underwear reminding us how crunchy clothes get drying in the sun! New wear is really soft - and due to current offer, superb pensioner prices.
So sorry to hear your news Georgesgran. I do hope you get a moment to have some kindness for yourself? It is so exhausting supporting a beloved in a health challenge. I join with other corresponders’ virtual hugs.

Niochorio Sat 06-Feb-21 10:45:17

Good morning from a rather damp and murky North Wales. So sad to hear of the troubles of so many of you and sending warmest wishes for you to have hope and comfort during these difficult time.
Sparklefizz that’s a lovley painting. My talents are limited to colouring in which I do enjoy and find quite therapeutic.
Not much on the agenda today although I must stir myself to get on with some of the household tasks. I will also be making some triple chocolate chip muffins a firm favourite of my youngest son, and of course the cook will have to sample them too.
Hope you all have the best day possible ???

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Feb-21 10:43:45

Thought are with you Georgesgran ?

GrannyOwl5 Sat 06-Feb-21 10:37:48

Good morning everyone from the north Kent coast where everything is quite benign before the snow tonight.

So sorry that some of our GNs are coping with unwelcome news and hope your medical people and treatments offer as much support and help as possible ?

Hope those who are down in the dumps find things a bit easier today. As my GS2 said yesterday, “Granny, Captain Tom said tomorrow will be a good day and it will be.”

Nothing much planned for today. The washing machine has been awoken from its slumbers and is busy whirring away. Family tree investigations continue; have got back to the early 1800s on my father’s side, but I think there is a brick wall approaching. When I get fed up with that a new jigsaw bekons - I can’t wait!

Hope you all have as good a day as possible. Stay safe

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Feb-21 10:36:15

Avoid "The Vanished" on Netflix - it's rubbish.

Elizabeth1 Sat 06-Feb-21 10:33:50

CELLULAR 0n Netflix if you’re into police corruption this one kept me interested a good story ending. Good always wins.

polomint Sat 06-Feb-21 10:32:09

Good morning from central lanarkshire. I'm sorry to read of so many troubles that you are all having at present. Try and keep strong and think positive. Weather wise, it's not too bad here, a bit grey with sun peeping through occasionally

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Feb-21 10:32:01

Thank you for all the nice comments re my painting. Auntiflo Watercolours are the hardest but acrylics are much more forgiving because if you go wrong, you can wait for it to dry and then just paint over it. I would recommend starting with those first to gain some confidence.

Gingster Re the white of the snow, in places I left the paper white but in other places I used a little bit of white acrylic paint, so it's a painting using mixed media.

Perhaps we should start an "Art thread" and help each other with our paintings, sharing tips, post them up, etc. which would motivate us to keep going. What do you think Gingster?

Greyduster Sat 06-Feb-21 10:30:33

Andyf it was the only place we could go and have a reasonable chance of keeping our feet dry! Everywhere else is like a swamp! Hope you enjoyed it - it was fairly busy again.

gillgran Sat 06-Feb-21 10:29:33

Good Morning to you all from a bright Cambs., it was dull earlier, & we have this amber weather warning from this p.m, until Monday a.m. will the snow reach us this time?

Mick, I'm pleased you are recovering, & feel confident to go out, do take care now.
I seem to feel nervous to go out & about. I was a bit apprehensive going for my vaccine last Tuesday, although everyone was distancing & it all ran smoothly. ( I did have to queue, but it quickly moved forward.) I think the longer you don't go out, the harder it gets.

Thinking of all who have extra worries & troubles.
flowers, for Auntieflo, Georgesgran & Mary.

Take Care Folks

amselerin Sat 06-Feb-21 10:20:38

Good morning all, from Lueneburg. I am very pleased to see that Mick is back. Take special care, Mick.
I am going out to do some shopping in our village shop. We are having some weather warning. From the north cold, cold weather is being met in the middle of Germany by some warm weather from the south. Snow and maybe freezing rain. The freezing rain is treacherous because everything is covered in thin ice and you just slide about and can`t hold to anything. So, this afternoon, when the adverse weather is expected I shall be sitting in front of the fire.
I am sorry to read that so many are not well or having other difficulties. My best wishes to them.
I would like to visit my children in Britain sometimes this year, but I don`t think that I will be able to get the injection the next couple of months. I was last in Great Britain last February.
So, please all keep well or get well. Take care.

Gingster Sat 06-Feb-21 10:18:43

Good morning all and snow is forecast here in Essex. We usually miss it here but I’m hoping for some as I love watching it come down and see the garden transformed into a wonderland.

I had such a lovely ramble with my friend yesterday over Hadleigh Country Park. The sun shone the whole time and the cafe was open, so we had coffee and croissants sitting on a bench overlooking the estuary. Unexpectedly met another friend so had a lovely catchup with her. Life seemed ‘normal’. Simple pleasures are the best. ?.

I have a gammon in Apple juice in the slow cooker, which will feed us for a few days. Just had a fresh baguette with butter and marmalade for my brekkie. Yum! Why am I always thinking if food?

Auntieflo And georgesgran - my thoughts and best wishes are with you. ??

Sparklefizz that’s a great painting. I always have trouble with the white of the snow. Do you leave the paper blank and just add shadow? You got it just right, ? . I intend to get my paints out every day but motivation escapes me. ?

Mick try to get a delivery instead of going out yourself. You are so recently out of hospital and are vulnerable. Especially if you’re not wearing a mask. ?

Marydoll hope you have a more cheery day . Read Urmstongrans theead with cartoons. It will give you a chuckle. ?.

Love and kindly thoughts to all. Keep warm and cosy ??⛄️

Callistemon Sat 06-Feb-21 10:13:13

Good morning Mick and everyone from a chilly S Wales.
I'm glad you're feeling better Mick Take care, don't try to do too much too soon. In our area the Council will provide a food box if you are shielding, I've not asked for one and think they're quite basic but it could tide you over if you have no-one to shop for you. I don't think they contain fish and chips, unfortunately.

Best wishes to all

Sending good wishes to all

EkwaNimitee Sat 06-Feb-21 10:09:27

Good morning Mick (take care now!) and All from the Cumbrian coast. I’m currently concentrating on sitting and enjoying the sun in my big bay window. Because I’ve heard the weather forecast with a sinking feeling!
I’ve just got back from a quick supermarket run for fresh veggies and was not happy to walk past a guy in there who had pulled his face mask right down to talk to someone. I may have had my first jab but don’t feel like relaxing yet as COVID is still rampant round here.
Have the best day possible everyone and a special thought for you and your DH, Georgesgran

Auntieflo Sat 06-Feb-21 10:02:36

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all you lovely Good Morningers. Thank you for the messages of encouragement.

Marydoll, a bit of wallowing is allowed, when you are feeling down. So here's to a better day today. ?. for you.
To Georgesgran, also a hug and thinking of you and your DH.

Lovely painting Sparklefizz, I wish I could draw or paint. I have some water colours, but never had the confidence to splash it on some paper.

It was foggy when I looked out much earlier, and it's still hanging around, so nothing planned for today, which seems pretty normal these days, so we shall just potter and maybe go out later, just to blow away the cobwebs.

I do wish that when I delve into the freezer, for some inspiration, that it would present me with a meal on a tray!
The years of thinking about what to feed everybody, gets tiresome, and boring. But I will be trying out the salmon risotto recipe. That sounds just up our street.

Kitty, have they finally managed to fix your roof leak? and I hope that the evidence photos will enable you to claim some compensation of work not done properly. Enjoy your flowers.

We are all still missing Gillybob, and her tales of Evie etc, so hope she is OK.

Have a good day one and all.

Stilllearning Sat 06-Feb-21 10:02:28

Morning from S Lanarkshire, it was surprisingly bright when I opened the curtains earlier but reverting to form now. I have been too slow starting the day so I’ll just wish everyone the best day possible and send prayers and ?to Georgesgran, so very sorry to read about your husband and wishing you strength x

CherryCezzy Sat 06-Feb-21 10:00:08

Good morning Mick and all goodmorningers. We've got the Gower gloop here today.

I was incredibly sleepy after my jab yesterday, so much so that I went to bed illnesses exluded at the earliest time since childhood. Achy today but I'm sure it'll pass ?. Marydoll my GP practice had a whole day, and there are probably more, only giving jabs to shielders to prevent us coming into contact with those who haven't needed to. Perhaps your practice is doing the same thing and it'll be your turn on one of those set aside days ?

Cornergran the point you make about about even machines needing downtime is spot on, unless it's a fridge freezer that is - but they are cold and us humans are warm blooded, we all need downtime to reset our bodies.

Georgesgran, I'm really sorry to hear the news about your DH flowers and Auntieflo to hear that your scan results brought unwelcome news ?. It's good that a treatment plan is being drawn up for you though and medical treatment can wield brilliant results now, keep strong and keep going.
So good to see you back Susan x ???

A gentle day for me one the cards today. I've a bit of sewing to do and it's quite a delicate job so I'll have to rely on all my poor skills ?. My WP will watch the rugby but I'm much more interested in seeing how my footie team fair today.

Don't overdo it now Mick!

I hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and you all find a ? along the way ❤️

Kalu Sat 06-Feb-21 09:58:13

Good morning all from a dry and windy Glasgow. I had a look at the forecast for Friday and Saturday, when we are due our jags and if they have got it right, both days, it will be snowing.
Only those two days!

Georgesgran I am so sorry to hear how unwell your DH is. Remember to look after yourself too during this worrying time for you both. ?

Watched Monty Don’s American Gardens last night, what a delight to see what some people have done with a roof garden in NY and others with more breathtaking gardens. Part two will be tonight’s viewing.

Today is bed stripping, the easy part. The worst part is I will have to iron bed linen to make up a fresh bed! Oh joy.

Best wishes to all for a good day and gentle hugs for those who are struggling.

Nannagarra Sat 06-Feb-21 09:56:41

Mick it’s good to hear you have the confidence to be out and about but do take care, please.
You are one very talented lady, Sparklefizz.

BlueSapphire Sat 06-Feb-21 09:53:52

Good morning everyone from a very misty Northampton. I seem to be late again this morning, must have nodded back off again! Am having a mug of tea and a buttered hot cross bun for breakfast.

Glad to hear you are feeling better Mick but make sure you don't overdo it.

Just the same old usual today, reading the papers, doing the puzzles, knitting and reading. Started my new book club read yesterday, 'The Man I think I Know' by Mick Gayle. Seems ok so far.

Wanted to order some wool for my new cardigan yesterday, but either the colours I wanted were out of stock, or there was not enough in stock, so I decided to start on a pattern I downloaded a few days ago - a sort of cross between a poncho and sweater/ cardigan thingy. I was really taken with the pattern and have ordered alpaca wool in a lovely rust colour. Will try to put a picture on tomorrow. The wool has cost me a fortune, but I am not spending money on anything else at the moment.

An afternoon of Six Nations Rugby awaits, but am very disappointed that my team Saints match is not on tv; I understood that BT were showing all premiership matches this season.

Must get my steak out of the freezer for tonight's dinner. And get showered and dressed.

Hope that today is kind to us. Take care everyone.

Nannagarra Sat 06-Feb-21 09:50:48

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is damp and a bit chilly.
Inspired by the mention of salmon risotto, I had a look at the recipes on GN. Has anyone made the Rosy Chicken and could give me some opinions on it?
?for Marydoll, Auntieflo, Georgesgran. Sorry if I’ve missed anyone out.
Have the best day you can everyone. x

Sar53 Sat 06-Feb-21 09:47:20

Very sorry to hear your news Georgesgran xx

Mapleleaf Sat 06-Feb-21 09:45:49

Good morning all,

A very wet one here as greyduster says. It's been raining heavily since last night.

Sorry to read your news Auntieflo and do hope that the treatment begins very soon.?

Sorry to read your news, too, Georgesgran ?.

I am pleased that you managed to get a calf to suckle from your cow sheepandcattle.

Sparklefizz you are very talented indeed.

Mick be careful and don't overdo things.

Take care everyone.