Gransnet forums

Chat

Reality Shows- do you love them or loathe them?

(66 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:57:41

I’m really over most of them though I do watch ‘The Voice’ when they have it. The cooking ones were fine at first but just go on and on. Same applies to the ‘ survivor’ series. I wish we could get Alan Sugar’s show here but they don’t have it, only stupid obstacle course and endurance type things.

Doodledog Sat 06-Feb-21 14:05:55

I think there is a difference between talent shows (be they singing, baking or whatever) and programmes like Big Brother or Love Island. Gogglebox is different again, I think.

I watch Gogglebox, but like it less than I did, as I think it is far too scripted now. I don't think it used to be as bad.

Big Brother used to be interesting, when the housemates weren't looking for fame, and I quite liked seeing the 'celebrity' ones in the earlier days when I knew who at least some of them were. I've never seen Love Island, but I saw a couple of series of Castaway and that one where they have to survive on remote Islands (is it Bear Grills?). I think seeing people having to appear to be nice to one another whilst also competing for votes is interesting, but can't be bothered with all the exploitation of some of the 'youth' ones such as TOWIE. I think they forget that they have to back to real life afterwards.

I don't bother with the talent show ones. I liked X Factor for a while, but apart from the Great British Menu cookery show I'm not really interested in the other ones.

Alegrias1 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:03:09

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFoMJGQl4D0

13-year old Sam performing his own song about his mum on the Voice Kids.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 14:01:50

You're welcome may7. smile
A lesson to never, ever judge a book by its cover.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:58:04

I liked Stars in their Eyes too and most of those old shows but won't watch these over-exciteable wannabe's.

May7 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:57:59

Thanks for the link of Susan Boyle's audition MissAdventure
Made me cry all over again. (In a good way of course) just the sheer joy on her face.
People watching fascinates me too so I like most reality shows but with some exceptions - Love Island ugh

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:54:35

My mother would have " beaten me within an inch of my life " if I'd carried on like the screaming teens do in some of these shows. I remember screaming at mum when I was frustrated at 10 years of age----I never did it again grin

EllanVannin Sat 06-Feb-21 13:47:47

They're all too staged for my liking. Can't stand the hysterics on The Voice and shows of that ilk. No wonder teens are neurotic there's no example shown on how to show excitement/ fun without screeching and making as much noise as you can muster.
There's a difference in laughing and applauding to bordering on a frenzy.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:44:56

We used to like Stars In Their Eyes.

Amberone Sat 06-Feb-21 13:41:07

I watch The Voice too - just caught up on the first four episodes. I have it on when I'm in the kitchen as it's something you don't have to watch all the time. Not at all like the X Factor where people who can't sing are filmed just for laughs. All the contestants can sing, even if you don't like their particular style, and it doesn't matter what they look like (at least not at first, anyway). The judges make me laugh too, Tom Jones at 80 is just amazing.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 13:39:34

I've always enjoyed Gogglebox and The Apprentice, daft though they are. Since last March I've watched The Masked Singer, The Sewing Bee, I'm a Celebrity and The Great British Bake Off for the first time ever. Sometimes it's good to have something to watch that you don't have to give your full attention to. And we've a lot of hours to fill. smile

grandmajet Sat 06-Feb-21 13:38:55

I like Bake Off, Junior Bake Off, Come Dine With Me, Dinner Date, Four in a Bed. The people in those don’t seem to be after a celebrity status like the later Big Brother contestants, Towie, and Made in Chelsea.
I do wonder if the camera crew on Four in a Bed have a supply of dust/hair which they place before filming!

Lin663 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:38:14

Absolutely LOATHE this sort of cheap and nasty telly...particularly if it’s a “Celebrity” version

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:34:46

I enjoy the programmes about hoarders; particularly when they send in people who have ocd to clean.

Alegrias1 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:32:03

I LOVE the Voice! Never thought I would but the talent on there is amazing and the judges don't try to make fun of people or belittle them.

Even better I'm afraid is The Voice Kids. I thought it would be very twee but again, the talent is amazing. There was a young man a couple of years ago who performed his own song about how he felt when his mother died, it was so moving.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Feb-21 13:28:56

Never watch any of them, it does make me wonder what permutation next, dog grooming now, good grief! But Gogglebox makes me lol, got to be good at the moment, due back soon I believe/hope.

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Feb-21 13:28:40

You are right about the manipulation lovebeigecardigans1955 I knew a girl who went on "Blind Date" many years ago. They made her look like a nasty person, which she wasn't.

HurdyGurdy Sat 06-Feb-21 13:28:19

I love the ones I watch - IACGMOOH, Strictly, Dancing on Ice, Masked Singer, Bake Off

I loathe the ones I don't watch, which are usually the scripted ones, such as any of the "The Only Way Is" ones, Love Island, "Housewives of" etc

Can't tar them all with the same reality brush.

I also was obsessed with the first three series of Big Brother, often sitting up until 4am. It was doing that, and then watching the highlights show the following evening that really made me realise that "it's all in the edit", when anyone can be portrayed very well or very badly, depending on how well the producers like the contestant. It became clear that the winner had been chosen by the producers before they'd even gone i to the house, and that a lot weren't members of the public at all, but had agents representing them.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:09:37

I'm a people watcher, too.
People absolutely fascinate me.

nanaK54 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:08:51

GagaJo

I loved the first ever Big Brother. It was very gentle and sweet. None of the would be celebs and fame hunters. There was a lovely guy in there who spent a lot of time looking after the chickens. No silly games.

After that they got really stupid and fake so I didn't watch anymore.

Marjorie grin bit worried that I can remember the chicken's name

cornishpatsy Sat 06-Feb-21 13:08:26

I like to see celebrities on reality shows, seeing them without a script shows another side of them. I used to particularly like celebrity big brother.

I love people watching whether on reality tv or sitting in a park, cafe or train station.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:07:10

More fool her for going on then. smile

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:05:07

I never watch these - they're full of nobodies who want to be somebody. I watched 'I'm a Celebrity' a few years back but got bored with it. There's a certain amount of exploitative and manipulative behaviour which is uncomfortable to watch. The TV companies edit things for the sake of entertainment to show people in a bad light which can cause embarrassment.
I know of someone whose MIL was on Come Dine with Me and the editing exaggerated her personality to make her seem monstrous and caused her much unhappiness.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 13:03:28

youtu.be/RxPZh4AnWyk

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 12:58:35

I watch them to remind me of my girl, too. smile

tanith Sat 06-Feb-21 12:56:24

DH and I always watched ‘I’m a Celebrity’ together it made him laugh so much now since he’s been gone I found it comforting to watch it on my own. The only other one I watch is Gogglebox it’s very funny sometimes.