Gransnet forums

Chat

Reality Shows- do you love them or loathe them?

(66 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:57:41

I’m really over most of them though I do watch ‘The Voice’ when they have it. The cooking ones were fine at first but just go on and on. Same applies to the ‘ survivor’ series. I wish we could get Alan Sugar’s show here but they don’t have it, only stupid obstacle course and endurance type things.

crazyH Sat 06-Feb-21 22:37:59

I love reality shows because I am basically a nosey person ?

nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 22:29:29

Some of the judges they choose for these talent show are very irritating and pretty talentless themselves. Can’t stand that Simon what’s his name though we don’t see that much of him here. Good job too.

Redhead56 Sat 06-Feb-21 19:23:07

I watch Gogglebox when it’s on a few years ago watched Scouse wives. That was totally embarrassing but truthfully there are a lot of them walking around. A relative of mine was on Dinner Date but the guy didn’t pick her.

cornishpatsy Sat 06-Feb-21 16:56:04

There are a few comments that the celebrities are unknown.

The shows try to appeal to a mixed audience so unless you watch every other tv programme, trawl youtube , know every actor or singer nobody will know them all.

Because I watch some reality TV does not mean I have a sad life Bullnuts54 or if you mean those taking part then they are doing a job they enjoy.

Kim19 Sat 06-Feb-21 16:16:29

I simply regard them as stepping stones for some extremely untalented people who seek limelight and yet have little to contribute by way of entertainment. The real offenders are those who operate the selection process. There must be money to be made from it somewhere or it simply wouldn't be happening.

DanniRae Sat 06-Feb-21 16:07:22

MissAdventure.........so true grin

GillT57 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:49:28

Ilovecheese

I am not sure what you mean by reality shows. If you mean programmes like The Great Pottery Throwdown and The Great British Sewing Bee, then I love them. If you mean programmes like The Only Way is Essex or I'm a Celebrity then I don't bother watching them.

Same here. Anything populated by celebrities who are generally only famous for being on other celebrity shows........nope.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 15:30:08

grin
I love some people's reactions to the shows they have never watched.

Lyndylou Sat 06-Feb-21 15:25:04

I love Pottery Showdown, Sewing Bee, Bake Off etc to watch people trying to produce lovely things.

I am presently catching up the latest series of Blown Away on Netflix, glass blowers making the most amazing things.

Bullnuts54 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:24:04

People know these shows are rubbish, by the never ending clips/advertising rammed down their throats ... It saves tuning in & watching embarrassment being plastered all over the screen ...

JaneJudge Sat 06-Feb-21 15:19:01

Doodledog

I always think it's funny when people say they have never watched such rubbish. How they know it's rubbish without watching it is beyond me, so I can only assume they are being snobbish and/or judgemental.

Life it too short to be worried about it smile If I find things entertaining, I really don't care in all honesty.

I tell you what I liked, I like Matt Lucas's reasons to be cheerful and Grayson Perry's art club. Both filmed during the first lockdown - both featuring normal people, some celebs, but both really uplifting, happy programs. We need more of it imo More positivity and less negativity

HurdyGurdy Sat 06-Feb-21 15:16:22

MissAdventure

One of the greatest tv moments ever, for me.

youtu.be/_AwplSf_C7E

This never fails to have me in tears. Musharaf is now a motivational speaker. Whoever would have thought that he would have been able to do that.

It was lovely to see June and Leon again. And I didn't remember there being four members of the Siddiqui family!

Bullnuts54 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:15:26

"Reality" shows, a numbing, pointless way of a sad life ...

FarNorth Sat 06-Feb-21 14:49:26

I meant the Gogglebox clip. I love the Susan Boyle one too, tho.

Doodledog Sat 06-Feb-21 14:47:09

I always think it's funny when people say they have never watched such rubbish. How they know it's rubbish without watching it is beyond me, so I can only assume they are being snobbish and/or judgemental.

FarNorth Sat 06-Feb-21 14:47:07

That's a wonderful clip MissAdventure . Thank you.

I like the hoarder / ocd programmes too as it's so good to see the improvement, especially if they keep it up.
Also Wife Swap, as it can be astonishing to see what others consider to be normal family life - and there are often changes made for the better.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 14:41:49

For those saying they never watch a reality programme what do you watch there isn’t anything else is there ?

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 14:40:13

I love the Voice for the singers , the judges are slightly better than the Cowel lot I love the pottery, sewing, and various prtrait/landscapes artists and love the masked singer although I didn’t expect to and the American version is pants ( mainly because of the judges) but I absolutely loathe the Chelsea’s, love island, cabin, first married stuff etc which I ve only ever seen snippets of advertising them
I do sometimes watch 4 in a bed but it’s so repetitive you could write the script yourself couldn’t you ? I quite like some of the antique programmes the bidding room bargain hunt etc
I watched Celebrity and Big bro when they first started can’t bear them now same with BGT and other Simon cowel stuff (gosh he’s aged)
Thanks so much for that clip MissA always has me in tears whenever I watch it a big lesson for everyone what a voice

ellenvannin screaming s not new did you never see the Beatles or Rolling Stones ?

BBbevan Sat 06-Feb-21 14:30:37

Never ever watch them. All that trashy television and unknown celebs !!!

GagaJo Sat 06-Feb-21 14:21:18

Hahaha, nanaK54. That's right.

timetogo2016 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:16:48

Only gogglebox for me,i`m a people watcher minus the bull...t

May7 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:10:16

ilovecheese gringrin

allium Sat 06-Feb-21 14:09:38

Pass.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Feb-21 14:09:14

One of the greatest tv moments ever, for me.

youtu.be/_AwplSf_C7E

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Feb-21 14:08:55

I'm guessing you never went to see The Beatles EllanVannin