Gransnet forums

Chat

How are you going to spend the money saved during lockdown?

(145 Posts)
JenniferEccles Tue 09-Feb-21 11:02:39

It’s said we have saved an astonishing £150 billion during lockdown!
What will you spend yours on?
Some people will use it to pay off debt but it’s expected that a lot of people will go on a spending spree - holidays, clothes, meals out.

For me, I seem to have lost the inclination for clothes shopping.
Looking through my wardrobes spread among bedrooms, I have found things I had forgotten about plus some I have never worn.
Holidays and meals out with family and friends when permitted do appeal though.

Sarnia Tue 09-Feb-21 15:36:00

I have helped my 2 sons who both lost their jobs in the 1st lockdown. They were at risk from losing their homes which would have had such an impact on their young families. Fortunately last autumn they both found new jobs. I won't squirrel it away when my family needs help.

TerriBull Tue 09-Feb-21 16:16:16

We've just moved. Have bought some new furniture, will probably have one of the bathrooms refitted and although the decor is pretty much to our liking we will have some redecoration done. We are getting quotes for certain things like having the garden landscaped and look forward to entertaining friends and family here in the summer. Other than that we will be supporting local businesses, shops, glad to say we have a John Lewis where we have relocated to so look forward to visiting their home department when they open up and will splurge some money in Waterstones for sure, plus restaurants. Looking forward to getting my hair cut and highlights done, I managed to get in one appointment back in the summer, but that feels a long time ago now! Probably last of all join a health club when it feels safe to do so

Although we have a flight and hotel booked for later this year, I fully expect to cancel, I think it's over optimistic to think overseas travel will be up and running in the foreseeable future. So not pining any hopes on that but would like to get away somewhere in England if that's a possibility.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 16:35:22

As a WASPI I’m looking forward to going out and spending my state pension. I got it last summer. Yay! So far I’ve been sharing it each month with my two girls. Both of their households have taken a hit financially during lockdown (one with a self employed husband and one with a furloughed partner). These are difficult times for many, sadly. Anyway once the family is up and running I’m going to do a Viv Nicholson. Some of you will be too young to remember her!
?

Esspee Tue 09-Feb-21 16:49:53

I’m having my patio redone (we didn’t get to Egypt)
New carpets upstairs (we didn’t get to Malta)
The complete inside redecorated (we didn’t get to Texas)
and the money we saved by not getting to Tobago will remain there as we intend to go just as soon as possible.

Kim19 Tue 09-Feb-21 17:11:59

Recliner chair for me.

Billybob4491 Tue 09-Feb-21 17:16:31

I remember Viv Nicholson Urmiston, she was the spend spend spend lady who won on the football pools.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 17:17:21

?

GrannySomerset Tue 09-Feb-21 17:19:29

Having sitting room chairs reupholstered and buying a riser recliner for DH, since no holidays last year or this and not eating out - I have had one meal in the last year which I didn’t shop for, cook and wash up. Have given extra to my chosen charities too. Hope we are enjoying investing in our homes - seems a good move, since we are all going to be spending a lot of time in them for the foreseeable future!

Washerwoman Tue 09-Feb-21 17:32:10

Nothing saved here.We are much worse off as a result of me retiring just before the pandemic but still no state pension.I had a very physical,self employed job and simply couldn't continue.
DH started a new business not long before the pandemic started so not eligible for much. He has been able to get one of the business loans but thank goodness or we would be even worse off.Things are now picking up but we will never recover those savings again I fear.
Most of our friends and family have saved a small fortune not going out for meals,or on holidays.And I have to switch off from dwelling on it. Good job we like a simple life with our dogs,garden and the odd short break! That will be it for us.

grannypiper Tue 09-Feb-21 17:58:42

Having just built a new barn and Dh having too much free time to spend on ebay we haven't saved a penny. Come our day of freedom we will be off touring the country visiting our Grandchildren ( and their parents, of course).

JaneJudge Tue 09-Feb-21 17:58:58

Is it just people claiming pensions that have managed to save?

Our food bank (one of many) is serving 100s more families that have had their work contracts ended and then have had to claim universal credit, people on furloughed wages struggling.

I feel like we have been really lucky as my husband at least has continued to earn as he would normally but with two adult children moving back in again our food bills are two fold.

JaneJudge Tue 09-Feb-21 17:59:35

we also bought a large shed blush

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Feb-21 18:37:04

JaneJudge you reminded me, I’ve bought a greenhouse, not here yet.

Blondiescot Tue 09-Feb-21 18:43:27

Money saved? What money saved? I've not earned a penny since March, yet as one of more than three million #ExcludedUK, I'm not entitled to any support from the government whatsoever. I've had to dip into my savings (which were intended for retirement!) just to survive - and I realise that I'm lucky in at least having some savings to dip into. There are many others less fortunate than me. If anyone's been lucky enough to save money during this crisis, then I envy them...

WW010 Tue 09-Feb-21 18:46:47

I don’t feel I’ve saved anything. We eat more as we’re both at home 24/7. Bills have gone up. I might have saved some on petrol but I don’t feel rich.

humptydumpty Tue 09-Feb-21 18:49:21

TBH it's a mystery to me how posters have managed to save these kinds of amounts. Obviously if people were commuting to work they've been able to save on travel - but what else?

Trisha57 Tue 09-Feb-21 19:02:36

The first thing we did when we realised that our savings were accumulating (OH not going to football, no meals out, holidays, hair cuts or days out etc.) was to have our living/dining room completely re-done, fireplace take out, new TV, new carpet, new furniture, re-decorated and new french doors and a new roof with a skylight. We also wrote off the balance of some money that we had loaned to our daughters, which they were paying back monthly. I've also discovered a new love of sewing so have spent a bit on materials and tools for cutting and pattern-making. Oh, and a new gel nail kit! Some donated to a local food provision service.

blue25 Tue 09-Feb-21 19:17:23

Will be booking UK trips away with the family & holidays abroad. We’ve saved a lot on commuting costs, meals out, holidays that didn’t happen. We’ve bought new sofas & redone a few rooms in the house so far.

Casdon Tue 09-Feb-21 19:24:10

humptydumpty travel costs to work mount up very quickly if you live in a rural area £60 a week is common where I am. Add to that no eating out, no holidays, no need to replace car so quickly because of less travel, no new clothes (apart from jeans and sweatshirts). Less expensive food because of more time to prepare it, no takeaway coffees etc. etc. it soon mounts up.
I’m saving up to replace my windows though, but have not saved enough for that yet.

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Feb-21 19:28:49

humptydumpty

TBH it's a mystery to me how posters have managed to save these kinds of amounts. Obviously if people were commuting to work they've been able to save on travel - but what else?

Lots of things have already been mentioned. No holidays or other trips out, meals out, sports events, new clothes, hairdressing, petrol and other travel costs (we've even been offered a rebate by our insurance company). I can add to that the cost of the dental appointments we haven't had, and the contact lens direct debit I've cancelled, which is usually £30 a month - it's just not worth wearing them every day if I'm not going anywhere.

Like most others, I'm sure, I'd rather be having a normal life and not saving a penny, and I think we all appreciate that if we have a guaranteed income, we're the lucky ones.

Urmstongran Tue 09-Feb-21 19:51:31

Washerwoman Blondiescot and paddyanne these are for you.
???

Yes, those of us retired with a guaranteed pension dropping into our banks every 4 weeks must be the fortunate ones in all this stressful pandemic. We are used to being at home too so our utility bills haven’t taken a hike either unlike those finding themselves newly WFH.

I hope we don’t come over as smug.

I do realise of course that it’s very hard for some. My son in law for one. Newly self employed he fell between two stools. Not entitled to a bean. Nada. So yes, I’m very grateful to be retired during this awful time and I’m sorry for those on here who are not so lucky. I hope things improve for you all soon.

watermeadow Tue 09-Feb-21 20:10:19

As I am retired I’ve saved nothing during the past year. With the charity shops shut I’ve had to buy full-priced new clothes and household items. Buying on-line means paying for delivery and several items never arrived or were bad buys.
I don’t have holidays so no savings there.
My family are mostly working from home and spending nothing on children’s activities so they have saved money but at a truly terrible cost in the children’s mental health and lost education.

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Feb-21 21:22:57

Those mentioned by Urmstongran yes, I have a private pension, my husband is a self employed ceramic tiler, work is erratic for now. We have friends who are in more difficult circumstances, we’re very aware that we’re fortunate.

Kim19 Tue 09-Feb-21 21:39:43

My income hasn't changed but my outgoings have. No day trips, no holidays, no theatre, no desire for new clothes and no lunches.

Washerwoman Tue 09-Feb-21 22:03:15

UrmstongranThanks for your wishes .I really don't begrudge anyone more fortunate financially. It is what it is.We lost our business through no fault of our own in the bad recession of 91 and had to start over again with young children.That was a very stressful time.I'm older,wiser and more philosophical this time round.And count our blessings now in that we've paid off our mortgage and have still have some savings left.And most importantly all our DCs are in employment and hopefully secure in the jobs they have.