Gransnet forums

Chat

How are you going to spend the money saved during lockdown?

(145 Posts)
JenniferEccles Tue 09-Feb-21 11:02:39

It’s said we have saved an astonishing £150 billion during lockdown!
What will you spend yours on?
Some people will use it to pay off debt but it’s expected that a lot of people will go on a spending spree - holidays, clothes, meals out.

For me, I seem to have lost the inclination for clothes shopping.
Looking through my wardrobes spread among bedrooms, I have found things I had forgotten about plus some I have never worn.
Holidays and meals out with family and friends when permitted do appeal though.

suziewoozie Wed 10-Feb-21 17:56:49

Jaxjacky

Harmonypuss I don’t think posters are ‘ bragging or rubbing others noses in it’ but answering the OP’s question, which referred to a news item and answering honestly. Most of us are very aware we are fortunate and others are in a difficult and different position,

Quite - the OP asked a question and we’ve answered it honestly. Before the pandemic it was often clear there were disparities in income and wealth between posters and it’s not surprising the pandemic has exacerbated these. I don’t think the more fortunate need any lectures on awareness of those less fortunate - and if they do, they were probably like that before anyway. I’ve no financial problems at all but I’m envious of able bodied posters who post about the walks they enjoy going on - I don’t accuse them of bragging about their mobility. I’d give all savings to be able to stride out of my front door and go for a good long country walk.

GillT57 Wed 10-Feb-21 18:22:58

No I don't think anyone was bragging, and as I said previously,most people who are spending less on some things are spending it on home improvements for example, which is money going into the local economy and keeping people working. This doesn't mean I am not aware of others who are finding lockdown more challenging, I support our local food bank as I did before the onset of covid19.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Feb-21 18:28:30

I'm worse off, I think, but the upside of that is that i rarely go anywhere or do anything anyway, so life hasn't changed much. smile

Minerva Wed 10-Feb-21 20:11:43

Anything saved on days out has gone on increased heating bills with everyone home all day every day and no shopping for bargains so paying through the nose for food and everything else. I have always been thrifty and got by on little so I am worse off as a result of Covid but we are all well and that’s what matters most.

Harmonypuss Thu 11-Feb-21 01:11:55

Suziewoozie ... No, I don't moan about people being able bodied but it's the "I've saved £1000s due to the pandemic" brigade who get my hackles up because we all know that so many people have lost their jobs or are self-employed and haven't been eligible for government help, it just feels like bragging.

I totally agree about the mobility thing, I have secondary progressive MS which prevents me from being able to go for lovely long walks, spending time outside on lovely sunny days because I can't tolerate the heat, etc, etc.

I have, in the past, had people telling me that I'm 'lucky' because I have a brand new motability car every few years and that they're jealous!

My answer? I'd happily give thrm my motability car here and now if I could also give them the disability that goes with it too! It's amazing how quickly they change their minds!

Washerwoman Thu 11-Feb-21 08:14:53

Not aimed at GNetters.Just general. But heard interview on the Jeremy Vine show the other day(Don't generally listen as he winds me up but was in the car and it came on)
In a similar vein asking if people would spend,spend ,spend with all the money they had saved.People phoning in were saying the things they had bought new carpets they didn't really need and various other things as they 'Didn't know what to do with all the money they had saved'
As I said previously we are worse off due to the virus.But I'm not bothered if someone else is better off than me .That's their good fortune.I'm happy with my life in so many other ways.Buying new clothes isnt top of my list.I've realised I dont wear half the stuff in my wardrobe anyway.Holidays are nice,but DH and I have had plenty of those in the past.More than some people will ever get.
But what saddens me,and I would truly love to do is be able to give generously to some of the smaller charities out there struggling to keep going.As a huge animal lover I'm particularly concerned about the number of 'lockdown'puppies being abandoned and the shocking state some horses are found in.Plus homelessness. I just wish I had some spare cash to give to our local rescue and homeless centre.I would love to just hand over a big donation .

patchworksue Thu 11-Feb-21 08:36:28

i haven’t saved during lockdown iv bought fabric.... a lot of it ! to use on my obsession patchwork and quilting...... i sew every day it keeps my mind busy.... finished lots of patchwork quilts that i have started over the years ...and made a few new ones patterns that i have wanted to do..... i will give some quilts away to special friends once we can socialize.... i have bought fabric every week from local shops with money i would have spent on coffees and lunches out ....

Doodledog Thu 11-Feb-21 08:57:57

I think that people who previously spent a lot on commuting and other work expenses, but have continued to work from home will have saved a lot. Everyone else will either have lost money or broken even, so I find the conspicuous consumption insensitive to say the least.

Anyone on a fixed income, such as a pension, who is not working will probably bump along much as before, apart from food going up (whether because of Brexit or Covid is difficult to tell). People who didn't travel far anyway are not going to save money on petrol/fares, and won't have cut back on expensive coffee and work clothes.

People who have been furloughed with have mixed fortunes. Some will offset the 20% loss against work expenses, but others who were just managing before will feel the loss.

It is the people who have been laid off or have lost their jobs who must be desperate now, and for them to hear that others are spending what would have been their holiday money on unnecessary carpets must be sickening for them. According to today's BBC business news, the worst is yet to come, and thousands of businesses are 'on the brink of bankruptcy'. When the subsidies stop, the government will want to claw back the money it has spent.

Yes, we live in an very unequal society, but usually British manners normally discourage talking about money. This sudden media interest in spending is very likely to be deliberate, so that the government has an excuse to do things like means test pensions, increase taxes and make spending cuts.

Lexisgranny Thu 11-Feb-21 09:21:19

Having been shielding since last March we have obviously not spent as much as we would have done in an average year on impulse purchases, although heating bills will have risen dramatically. However what I have realised personally is that those things that I thought I needed, I really don’t. The only thing I would have preferred not to do without was a decent haircut, but there again, a pair of hairdressers’ scissors from Amazon has sorted us out, and the sky hasn’t fallen in, but I will certainly be glad to see my hairdresser.

I think any money saved will be spent on house maintenance, we have accepted that we are no longer able to decorate etc. I don’t really understand the current obsession with holidays, I will just be thankful to be able to go out!

harrigran Thu 11-Feb-21 09:42:20

Don't think that I have saved anything as there have been large fuel bills and my tablet and DH's phone have had to be replaced. At the beginning of lockdown last year we had to replace the dishwasher.
I have not been having my hair done but I pay my hairdresser regardless because she comes to my home and is self employed.
I am subsidising the family so that they can order food online without worrying about what they are spending.

LMW1 Thu 11-Feb-21 10:12:02

Sadly I have not saved any ?

JenniferEccles Thu 11-Feb-21 10:52:40

It’s very interesting to read what people are planning to do with any money saved over the lockdown and I haven’t seen any comments at all which could be construed as bragging.
What a strange accusation that was.
Rather there have been accounts of various plans for the rest of the year once we are released and the country reopened.

Thinking about it, the recovery of the economy is dependent on a high level of consumer spending in the months to come.
Sadly a lot of businesses have gone under, especially those in the hospitality industry, and those which have managed to stay afloat will be desperate for our business.

Predictions I have read for the economy’s recovery are not all doom and gloom thankfully.

jocork Thu 11-Feb-21 13:12:51

I retired in October so my income has fallen quite a bit. I can manage on the new income but there won't be much extra spending. Also in the first lockdown, when I was saving as I was working from home, I made a few extra charity donations to organisations who were struggling as a result. I still haven't got one of my pensions as I suspect they have calculated it wrong and have asked for verification, so when I finally get it there will be a reasonable amount of back pay due. That might result in a little celebration of some kind depending on what is allowed.

Washerwoman Thu 11-Feb-21 14:56:52

Harrigan.That is so kind of you to still pay your hairdresser.I gave mine a large tip each time I went when things relaxed last year.As someone who was self employed relying on lots of little amounts coming in regularly I really feel for anyone in that situation.

tattygran14 Thu 11-Feb-21 20:55:01

Unfortunately I've discovered that a big chunk is going to the dentist. Not my idea of fun at all.

OnwardandUpward Thu 11-Feb-21 21:39:01

I haven't saved much money because I've spent on gym equipment, vitamins and health products! But I am healthier than before at least, which is worth more than money.

jenpax Sun 14-Feb-21 16:10:36

tictacnana Your husband should still be able to claim new style JSA (formerly contribution based JSA) as this is not effected by your earnings but is dependant on his previous national insurance contributions.

M0nica Sun 14-Feb-21 20:57:10

I do not think that people have actively saved money, more that they have not spent money.

Lockdown meant no spending on travelling, whether car, bus or train. No eating out; not even a cup of coffee or a sandwich in a supermarket cafe. No visiting, or being visited by family and friends. No haircuts. For those that can afford it, no holidays, or days out.

For some families (of all ages), this reduction in expenditure will have helped them pay off debts, put a little aside for a rainy day, replace or repair houshold appliances.

Mollygo Mon 15-Feb-21 17:30:11

Exactly that for me M0nica. Not spending, rather than saving.
No new clothes for holidays either.
The only thing I spent more on really was laundry. Having to wash and dry my clothes every time I came in from work was a real challenge at first.