Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(78 Posts)
12Michael Wed 10-Feb-21 06:12:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, and cold here in Brackley this morning , looking icy but no overnight snow .
Today , later a small shop get somethings I need a chance to try out the face mask exempt in a supermarket .
Had a call from my surgery reference a general health check lasting 2 0 minutes , assume blood test, urine sample etc.
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Wed 10-Feb-21 08:09:51

In yesterday’s paper. It made me laugh! ?

cornergran Wed 10-Feb-21 08:10:12

Morning Mick, morning All from a clear, cold corner of Somerset. Click and collect grocery order this morning and dust removal will fill today. Curry in the slow cooker for this evening. It seems popular with good morningers today.

Happy anniversary to Mr and Mrs Scentia. A wish that marydoll has a less fraught day and feels more robust.

Take care everyone, hope for a smile in the day for us all, stay warm.

Pittcity Wed 10-Feb-21 08:12:12

Good morning from a frozen, snowy Colchester.
Today's adventure will be digging out the recycling from under the snow to move to the front of the house in the hope that the bin men take it tomorrow. Collections haven't been cancelled as they are tough guys. The postie is still in shorts, although he is in a van and sporting a bobble hat!

Beechnut Wed 10-Feb-21 08:13:19

Happy Anniversary Scentia and MrS ???

Nice to see you this morning mancgirl

ginny Wed 10-Feb-21 08:15:50

Good Morning. We had flurries of snow yesterday but all gone now.

Just a day of pottering for me. Probably a short walk .

Hope you all find a ?today.

Susan56 Wed 10-Feb-21 08:15:57

Good morning from Shropshire.Haven’t looked outside yet but feels chilly.

Online funeral today.Very sad not to be able to attend in person but too far for us to drive there and back in a day.

Cherry, I hope you have had a restful night and are feeling brighter.x

Thinking of Auntieflo and Georgesgran and all with illness and troubles.Mary, I hope you and your DH are feeling better.

Have a good day all and stay safe.

Urmstongran Wed 10-Feb-21 08:18:40

Yes, nice surprise to see you posting again Mancgirl!
?

brook2704 Wed 10-Feb-21 08:18:49

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve had yet more overnight snow, it’s -7 outside and we’ve a sunny very crisp cold day forecast.
Yesterday I enjoyed a walk in the local woods with DD2 and the two DGC - luckily we all stayed upright with no trips or falls. Nothing planned yet but will see ..
Happy Anniversary Scentia enjoy your day together ????
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Gagagran Wed 10-Feb-21 08:25:45

Morning all from a chilly south coast. -1.0c first thing.

I am a bit late this morning as I was awake at 4am but decided that was too early even for a lark like me, so turned over, drifted off, and was consequently late up. Well 6.45am was late for me.

My nil agenda continues and it is getting tedious now. I always like to have something on the calendar to look forward to, and this week, the only highlight is green bin day on Thursday. The next highlight is pancakes next Tuesday!

Still look for Gilly every day on here in case she has popped back in. Can only hope that she is coping and things have improved for her and her DH.

Just had a discussion with my DH about whether it is better to have very cold weather or very hot. He chose the cold and I chose the hot but really I would choose temperate!

Take care and keep safe and warm everyone. sunshine

Marydoll Wed 10-Feb-21 08:30:36

Good morning all from a chilly Glasgow, where we still have a fair amount of snow on the ground. Exciting times, today is vaccination day......I hope! Well, actually it's tonight at my GP surgery. Fingers crossed that they don't cancel because of the weather. Heaven knows when I would have had an appointment, if I hadn't een persistent and chased them up ?

WARNING! LENGTHY NOVELLA AHEAD! WALK AWAY NOW!!!

You will be relieved to hear that I'm in a happy frame of mind today, decent recent events. DH and I slept for most of the night, which is very, very unusual.

I spent ages yesterday morning, trying to get hold of my dentist. Due to the bad weather, they were late opening and closed just after I got there.
My main worry was the high risk of infection from the open gum, as I'm immunosuppressed, not the ugly crone, old look!
The duty dentist said he was afraid of putting me at risk, by asking me to come down. I thought he meant because of Covid, but no! He was afraid of me falling in the snow. because my age must mean I am a doddery old lady! ?

The dentist looked about ten, but oh, he was so professional. his, soothing, Irish accent wasn't too bad either. His mum has RA and on biologics, so knew exactly the implications of the missing tooth.
There was no decay, no infection, just a big hole in my gum. It's difficult to comprehend how insidious and invasive RA is, it silently attacks your body. ☹
The biggest relief was no infection present, because needing antibiotics, whilst on biologics opens up a huge can of worms.

The bottom line is, I may be able to have a crown, but the adjoining teeth may also have to come out, as those teeth are going the same way. Eye wateringly expensive. I'm perversely glad in a way. For years I have had so much pain in my front teeth, but nothing seem to help. It's actually a relief, the tooth is gone.
Before anything can be done, my own dentist, will need to consult with my new RA consultant, who was a very difficult man to track down. It turns out that he is based in a different hospital from my old consultant.
On another thread, I had said that I had always wanted to be a sleuth and now you can see that I am very good at getting results. ?

We were home for only half an hour, when we had to leave again for the hospital. My heart sank, when it started snowing heavily again. Poor DH had been out digging snow and had been gritting the road at 7am. I felt so guilty, so I have ordered a special bottle of whisky as a thank you for being such a caring man. well sometimes. He was so upset for me, having something else to contend with and perhaps missing my hospital appointment.

We had dreadful problems parking at the hospital and of course I can't walk far, especially on treacherous ground.
My Fitbit should that I had walked more yesterday than I had walked for weeks.
I was quite euphoric because this time last week, I couldn't have walked the length of the house without experiencing chest pain.

My friend, whose expectant granddaughter has Covid, phoned me. Mum is so much stronger and brighter, she seems to be on the road to recovery.
She had a scan and baby looks to be about 9lbs. Tomorrow is her due date, so I hope to have (good) news in the next three days. My friend was in tears when I told her that so many people were praying for her family..

Today is my SIL's birthday, I'm hoping he and DD will put in an appearance, if the snow melts a bit. Its his fault I broke my tooth! I was wrapping his gift, a beautiful framed print, I knew he liked, but had difficulty wrapping it. Too lazy to look for scissors, I bit off a piece of sellotape ( I know, disgusting and unhygienic) but the tooth sheared off instead!

Hoping that Auntieflo and Mr Georgesgran are not in too much pain, hugs for Georgesgran and congratulations to the Scentias. ?

A big thank you to all you lovely people for all the kindness you have shown me! # Star grans! ?

Elizabeth1 Wed 10-Feb-21 08:30:36

Good morning everyone from a bright -4 freezing snow day the main roads look okay says my dh. He’s going to get his vaccine today I’ll be delighted to see him back home afterwards

Fife had a disgraceful waiting time outside some vaccine centres yesterday. Fingers crossed my carer gets through to me this morning she was stuck in the snow yesterday my dh and I worked very well together - the dream team wink

I received a call from my gp surgery yesterday asking if I’d received an antibiotic from the chemist it seems I have a uti anyway I’ve not got the antibiotic just yet I’m hopeful of it coming today I’m praying it doesn’t affect my gut like last time.

Yesterday was a good day for me I rode my motomed for a fairly long time using both legs and both arms I even sat up most of the day which shows I’m getting stronger each day.

We’re even looking for a good hotel in Aberdeenshire any reommendations?

Our grandchildren are needing to meet up with us and hopefully they’ll not have forgotten what we look like. A wee visit will lift all our spirits and get us through this.

Poor wee Lady my ds dog was frozen with the snow yesterday she fired through it like a submarine then came indoors all clogged up. The dyson hairdryer came out of hiding and did the trick smile

keep warm and safe today everyone no taking risks at least not today wink we need you. flowers

grannysyb Wed 10-Feb-21 08:41:08

Lovely bright and sunny cold day here. So glad that Marydoll managed to see a dentist and that her friends daughter is doing well. Not much planned for today, will try and have a walk later. Hope everyone with worries and problems have a better day.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 10-Feb-21 08:41:41

Good morning everyone and Mick from a bright and sunny ( and snowless) Oxfordshire.
DD 2 and her dog are moving back home today as her op has been cancelled
until at least the end of March, so no need to isolate with us, she will be missed, but TBH I won’t miss dog walking at 9am in this cold weather. If she can’t cope then she will be back.
I wish you all a peaceful and safe day, best wishes to you Marydoll and all those who are struggling and unwell.

harrigran Wed 10-Feb-21 08:44:16

Good morning from the NE where it is -2 with more overnight snow.
Sainsbury's delivery this morning, nothing special just the basics.
Despite lockdown we have a very high number of covid cases in our town and it is clearly not going away.
Take care everyone.

Grandmabatty Wed 10-Feb-21 08:44:31

Good morning all from a snowed in Polmont. There were about six or seven inches yesterday then another three or four on top. Combined with a fierce frost and wind chill, I'm going nowhere, like the blooming snow! Although it looks pretty, I hate trying to get about in it. So no plans for today continues to be the theme. I have a WhatsApp chat this afternoon with friends but that's all. Happy anniversary to the Scentias Have a good day all.

BlueSapphire Wed 10-Feb-21 08:48:10

Good morning everyone from a very chilly looking Northampton; the road outside looks icy, and I have just looked up and seen that it is now snowing!

Looks like another day in of amusing myself with the papers, knitting, reading etc. A never-ending merrygoround of excitement...... I wish. I must also finish my Sainsbury's order for tomorrow.

I ordered yet more wool yesterday, for a free pattern I had downloaded the day before. And this morning the company have emailed me with yet more special offers which look tempting! I also found a company that had in stock the wool I need to finish my current cardigan, so I also ordered the couple of extra balls.

Shall now go back and read the thread. Hoping we all have a good day.

Lins1066 Wed 10-Feb-21 08:54:05

Good morning Mick and all from a very cold S Welsh coast. We went for a walk yesterday afternoon,there was a biting wind and unsurprisingly, very few people about. We enjoyed our curry last night, just the ticket to warm us up. I bought two sword fish steaks yesterday, haven't had them before, the fish man said they taste like tuna, which I love. Spent a very pleasant hour on the phone to an old friend and former colleague.
No idea what is on the agenda today, a walk probably and like corner, some dust removal.
Happy Anniversary Scentia and Mr Scentia
Thinking of all those with troubles, stay safe everyone.

aggie Wed 10-Feb-21 08:55:12

Good Morning everyone, cold and just a sprinkling of snow here , late up due to sleeping in for the first time in weeks , not a problem though , no rush to get anywhere even though I have had my vaccine , just the first shot a fortnight ago.
I wonder if you think it is a good idea to carry on with your usual routine Michael ? Especially as you are not wearing a face covering , maybe see if your necessity can be delivered ?

Greyduster Wed 10-Feb-21 08:59:28

Good morning Michael and all GNs. It’s freezing in South Yorkshire but snow is scant and the sun is shining. Finished GS’s birthday cake yesterday. The piping is a bit of a car crash, but I’m sure he won’t mind! Had a sad face time with DS. They had to have their lovely cat put down yesterday - he was very poorly. They were very upset. Not sure what we are doing today. Nothing exciting I suspect.
Sheep I don’t envy you de-icing water troughs. Doing the bird bath every day is bad enough!
Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Scentia!???.
Have the best day you can folks.

Anniebach Wed 10-Feb-21 09:03:10

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

gillgran Wed 10-Feb-21 09:06:45

Good Morning to you all from a frosty Cambs., We keep getting flurries of snow, but little settles on the ground.

I, too have a dental appointment this morning, not an emergency, but I'm very apprehensive.

Congratulations to Scentia on your anniversary.

Warm Wishes to all with extra cares.

Take Care Folk

Marydoll Wed 10-Feb-21 09:10:31

I'm just going to be blunt and say this.
Aggie, you are saying is exactly what I'm thinking. You are putting yourself at great risk, Mick. I don't think you understand how risky it is, due to your health and age. The person beside you in the supermarket could be infectious, without you knowing it.
I have COPD, but wear a mask, despite always being short of breath. I try to keep others safe too.
If you have to go out, once a week should be your aim.
We are are not being unkind, just thinking of your welfare.

Alygran Wed 10-Feb-21 09:14:21

Good morning from North Yorkshire. More snow overnight and yet more promised today! This is the most snowy winter for a long time.
Charity zoom this morning, bed changing and some ironing to do. Regular call with DGS after ‘school’ to read more of our book. His reading has improved dramatically since we started this last March! He is one of the few for whom reading using phonics is impossible so it was always a struggle.
Glad to hear your dentist has a plan Marydoll. Dentistry is unrecognisable from what we had as children, they can do so much more.
Wishing you all a good day. Stay warm and stay safe.

EkwaNimitee Wed 10-Feb-21 09:17:48

Good morning Mick and All from a very cold but very sunny Cumbrian coast. I loathe British winters as my body has an erratic temperature control system so envy those who live by the Mediterranean. I considered retiring to Spain when DH died but thought I was too old in my seventies. We spent 20 years wintering near Valencia and I still feel more at home there than I do here.
Well, I won't dwell on that but get on with a bit of housework and then take advantage of the sun streaming in through my bay window to sit in it and read. I have a bit of a puritan streak.. it tells me thou shalt not lounge about reading etc until something useful has been done!
Hopefully, a good day to everyone.

Gelisajams Wed 10-Feb-21 09:23:29

Good morning from a frosty Morecambe Bay. Congratulations to Scentia and Mr Scentia on your anniversary. Have the best day you can.
Good to hear you are more upbeat Marydoll and ready to do battle with the world. I do hope your appointment for your sh*t tonight goes well with nothing untoward occurring and your dentist sorts you out quickly. Teeth are the bane of my life. I think I’ve kept my dentist in luxury holidays over the years.
Not much happening here, so I’ll sign off by reminding everyone to take care and stay safe ?