Gransnet forums

Chat

Lockdown hair

(71 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 14-Feb-21 13:27:18

I came across this photo of Edward Scissorhands and realised that atm we share the same hairstyle. Who do you share your current hairstyle with?

Chameleon007 Mon 15-Feb-21 11:32:27

Before March last year I had fairly short hair. Missed hair appointment by a few days because of the March 2020 lockdown. I avoided temptation to cut my hair and eventually got a hair appointment at the end of July 2020 by which time my hair had outgrown the short style. Having discussed with my stylist the prospect of further lockdowns I decided to grow hair longer. Thank goodness I did as I don't think I would have survived the following lockdowns without shaving my hair off.

AlisonKF Mon 15-Feb-21 11:38:18

Since my last blow dry befor lockdown I have not washed my fine hair, merely brushed it into the shape dictated by my last trim as far as possible.. I doesn't look dirty , even shiny. I have to spray with strong hairspray and use a hairclip for my fringe, alas.. Not great, but tidy apart from the back
of the neck which just keeps growing. If I washed my hair, it would revert to the frizzy remains of my last body perm and I could not do anything with it. Trying to trim a short style on one's own spells disaster for months after. My home hairdresser would give me a big talking to.

icanhandthemback Mon 15-Feb-21 11:40:26

I don't think my hair is any different...although maybe a different colour in places! I have never been a frequent user of the hairdresser but now I have found that my husband will follow instructions, I am happy with his efforts. They would probably make a good hair dresser weep but hey ho.

Rendella Mon 15-Feb-21 11:40:38

My style is. “Boris” special. All fine, wispy, and uncontrollable. No chance of styling it in any way, it will do what it will. I have been wearing hats, headscarves, you name it, as it currently looks dreadful, all grey roots and wisps protruding.

Lulubelle500 Mon 15-Feb-21 11:45:14

Mine might be a bit shaggy but it's never been in such good condition. No product, no hairdryer, just good shampoo and the occasional straightener on the fringe. If my hairdresser wasn't such a good friend I'd just go to her for cuts from now on. Although I do hate washing my hair in the shower and regret not having one basin with two taps to use the brainwashing thingy.

Lulubelle500 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:05:16

Sorry! Hairwashing. (Although...)

FarawayGran Mon 15-Feb-21 12:05:57

A witch! I even frighten myself when I catch a glance in the mirror

Nana4 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:13:52

What on earth is happening to Boris’s hair?? Is Carrie having a go?

Chimaera Mon 15-Feb-21 12:23:21

I went short in November, after 40+ years of various length bobs. Managed to get it cut before Christmas but it started looking awful a couple of weeks ago. So I gave DH the hairdressing scissors (that came in the bag with his hair clippers) and told him to have a go! In his defence, he watched a few YouTube videos, sat me in front of a mirror, and with a bit of supervision from me, off he went. shock
The result - pretty good! I've not had to cover my hair on the rare occasions I venture out - so I think I will keep him and his scissors on a retainer until hairdressers are operational again. I colour it myself anyway so it doesn't look too bad at all. I'm very grateful! smile

Notright Mon 15-Feb-21 12:24:12

Dont forget everyone will be heading for the hairdresser so get in fast or you'll have to wait weeks, maybe months before an appointment.

Dillonsgranma Mon 15-Feb-21 12:34:47

My grown out highlights are reminiscent of a poorly badger ??

LizM567 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:38:53

I have resorted to headscarves to make my hair look tidier. I was aiming for someone artistic like a member of the Bloomsbury Group but sad to say I ended up more like Rosie The Riveter!

Loulou54 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:44:39

My two scruffy dogs at the moment, we’re all in need of a haircut!! ?

leeds22 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:45:30

Ghastly. Long and lank but not quite long enough to tie back. Looks reasonably ok the day I wash it but next day ugh. And the grey roots don’t help.

Sarah48 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:52:57

What a pleasant, humorous thread smile with a lot of names I’ve never seen before. Nice to read though (sometimes feels like you have to gear yourself up for a fight before browsing grin.
My hair was a short blond (home dyed) bob - after a year of no hairdresser visits, it’s a long blond bob. It’s driving me mad, but DH likes it!

freyja Mon 15-Feb-21 13:12:36

When I was at school I was in awe of the girls with long hair, mine was always short, cut around a pudding basin. There was one girl in particular who had beautiful long black shiny hair that she could sit on. This was to be my goal but in sixty year still have not achieved it until the lockdown.
Now with no hairdresser for a year and no real reason to have it cut, I am nearly there. I might look like the hairy monster in the Adams family but who cares.
After many comments from family I told my 16 year old grandson that my ambition was to be able to sit on my hair. He liked the idea and wants to do the same but not sure if dad will let him as he is always behind him with scissors. [hairy] [smiley]

Harmonypuss Mon 15-Feb-21 13:14:35

Personally, actually better now than this time last year - I'm no hairdresser but I put my hair into a scrunchie and chopped 20cm off it, then did the same with my fringe (took about 8cm off).

No split ends, I also take a Biotin supplement which has improved the strength and texture of my hair, so I'm actually quite happy with my locks!

JaneR185 Mon 15-Feb-21 13:15:10

Lesley60 ???

123kitty Mon 15-Feb-21 13:19:13

My hair's fine and tends to frizz if it gets damp or I don't run my straighteners through it after washing. Before this last lockdown I had a special anti-frizzing smoothing and conditioning treatment that lasts for up to 4 months, it seems to be working (I'm beginning month 3) although I'd love to visit my hairdresser for a trim and root touch up it doesn't look too bad. I spray my grey roots at the parting with a touch up colour in dark blonde then muss it up with my fingers to blend the colour, it's easy to do and lasts till I next shampoo it - saves me looking at my natural grey growing through.

Suelondon Mon 15-Feb-21 13:26:12

Gwendolyne from Wallace and Gromit!!

Babs758 Mon 15-Feb-21 14:04:10

I had a nice chat with my hairdresser and have booked in for May - might be a bit early but will judge it nearer the time. In the meantime I bought some scissors off Amazon and had a go chopping a bit myself... It is not wonderful but not a disaster and at least has got rid of the split ends. I use Clairol's Nice and Easy and not too bad!

Lettice Mon 15-Feb-21 14:23:47

After my recent disaster with DIY haircutting, mine is now a first fuzz after my GI Jane all-off. I can comb my hair with a towel, and after donkeys' years of difficult too fine hair, it is really liberating.

Puzzler61 Mon 15-Feb-21 14:42:25

This morning I took the bull by the horns and cut 3 inches off the back of my medium length hair.
It was like a thatch.
It feels better but I’ll check it tomorrow when it’s settled down.
Also did a root touch-up to do away with the stripy badger look.

Jillybird Mon 15-Feb-21 14:49:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Alison333 Mon 15-Feb-21 14:49:52

An elderly 1970s footballer with a long mullet!