Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you developed new interests since lockdown ?

(63 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 15-Feb-21 23:02:48

The main ones I have been more interested in are sewing ( hadn’t sewn since the children were young many,many years ago), gardening, bread making. I tried to play the piano ( ok, portable organ) but Duh , I couldn’t get past the Bluebells of Scotland. I have completely lost that ability to my chagrin and the thought of practicing makes me lose the will to live !

Roxy1195 Tue 16-Feb-21 11:59:04

Dottynan - interested to hear you doing long stitch. Me too, it seems to grow quite quickly. I have found lots of inspiration on Pinterest. Trying to design my own piece now.just love manipulating colours. What does it matter if doesnt work out- it fills the time. Wools are reasonable price too on eBay

Madammim1 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:00:19

I've started cooking and baking more than I used to do and also found I rather enjoy doing Lego but only the Harry potter sets . I used to love reading but atm I'm struggling to get into a book

Willjac123 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:05:46

?? Bazza. Me too!

NannyG123 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:08:47

I've started doing painting by numbers, I'm quite enjoying it. My next project is crystal by numbers. You don't know until you try, I've been baking more as well. Doing exercises via zoom,and youtube. And walking more.

HazelGreen Tue 16-Feb-21 12:11:14

Good thread! Problem with art/craft shops being closed. I have made soap (bought supplies online) using up large stock of essential oils fragrances. I made marmalade from a tin with some extra citrus. Basic knitting of some knee rugs from coloured squares backed with a velour rug from Primark. Last week with that dreadful east wind, I made leg warmers, great success. Also made loads of facemasks, a new talent from early days when none available. I would love to do a tapestry thing for a newborn but need to research more and get supplies. Someone did one for my daughter years back. Glad to see brighter days as it can be difficult to do craft stuff in poor light tho I did get a fancy light that is great help.

grandMattie Tue 16-Feb-21 12:13:08

Not really - just increased the amount of time spent on them ... Reading, sewing, knitting, cooking, baking, etc. very domesticated lady!

Nannapat1 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:14:57

I've started playing word games on my phone. I haven't touched the piano or done any sewing (once my main hobby) and haven't gardened as my OA has taken a turn for the worse.
I've done a lot of home schooling too.

BlueSky Tue 16-Feb-21 12:16:30

No, increased time spent walking outdoors and on the net!

grandMattie Tue 16-Feb-21 12:17:37

Jackyjax I don't have a sweet tooth either, but love to feed DH and any passing grandchild [now there's a thing!!!] At worst, I give DS2 a load of cakes and biscuits for his night shift mates - they love it.

Severnsider Tue 16-Feb-21 12:22:14

I've learned how to do Sudoku and Codewords.

Can just about manage general knowledge crosswords but can't understand the Cryptics. ?

Harmonypuss Tue 16-Feb-21 12:22:26

Life hasn't really changed much for me during the pandemic, my disability tended to keep me at home for about 90% of the time anyway I'm an avid reader (4 or 5 books per week) and I've been doing mindfulness adult colouring for almost 30yrs now, but just over a year ago I saw someone doing a 5D diamond painting project and thought I'd like to have a go at that. For those who don't know what it is it's loosely based on cross stitch and painting by numbers but without a needle or paint! You have a printed canvas with thousands of tiny squares which have printed numbers and letters but it's sticky, then there are tent tiny little 2mm gems or 'diamonds' which you use a little pencil-like stick with a tiny bit of wax in the end to pick up the diamonds and place them on the squares to create a beautiful sparkly picture. It's a bit fiddly with the gems being so tiny, especially with my arthritic hands but once I got started, I did a little postcard sized picture of a couple of blue lilies in a vase in next to no time at all. I followed it up with another lily one just a bit smaller than a sheet of A4 paper then framed them, they look so pretty.

I've now just started another which is 30 x 40cm (approx 11,000 gems) but I'm taking my time, this one is a 'Welcome' sign which will adorn a wall in my front hallway when it's finished.

I've got a couple of other kits and and 2 more on order which, along with my reading and colouring, should keep me going for a while.

rowanflower0 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:26:25

Have had more time to spend on hobbies I already had - embroidery and applique, reading, cooking and writing. Also joining classes with U3A by zoom - would recommend that to everyone.

melp1 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:31:25

My hobby at the moment seems to be selling on Ebay, we are moving soon and I've had to clear out over 40 years of stuff from loft/cupboards, its surprising what you find you've not used for years and really don't need, over £1,000 made so far. Lots of Star Wars stuff that my son had told me just to get rid of. Posted him all the figures to sell & he's made over £700.
Just wish the charity shops would open soon, some things too big/costly to post but seem to good for the tip.
Lots of extra, longer walks with our dog
Haven't had much time for anything else as still working part-time. I may decide to retire when things get back to normal (if they do) doesn't seem much point at the moment due to the restrictions.

Cs783 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:35:01

Haha Bazza and Wiljack123 I wonder if your ‘slattern’ is my normal? I used to need to book visitors before I’d do a good clean. So these days...

And agree, what a good thread. Thanks nanna8 and all

Marg75 Tue 16-Feb-21 12:47:26

I'm addicted to Codewords!! I've had this addiction before when I was in hospital 20 years ago, and weaned myself off!! But it's back........

Alioop Tue 16-Feb-21 13:00:39

I have been renovating a rundown bungalow from Oct 2019 and got the majority of it finished just before Xmas. Covid hit and it took a lot longer than I expected it to with the lockdowns. I have now learnt to relax a bit more, reading, baking and getting caught up on the series on telly I missed. The gardens are getting landscaped end of March so I'll enjoy planting out my poor plants that have been stuck in pots for nearly 2 years. I can't wait to get back in the garden again with the sun on my face.

TerriBull Tue 16-Feb-21 13:03:36

Reading, but I've always done that. Since lockdown learning French, yoga on line, I've dipped in and out of yoga over the years. Increased time walking, but alas not lately weather has been rubbish. Enforced indoor time, I also love codewords and spend way too much time on things like "Outspell" on line, really, really time wasting particularly as I know I should be doing something more productive like unpacking another box in the garage, as we've recently moved and sorting things away is always beckoning

pen50 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:16:30

Oh, I've definitely got new hobbies! Obsessing, teeth grinding, and neck tensioning. I'm really getting in to all of them>

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:26:07

I've returned to knitting as I've lost my sewing mojo. I'm halfway through my 5th pair of socks which are by no means as perfect as I'd like.

I'm a worse slattern on the housework front than ever and I just do the minimum. In that respect I've become even more bone idle. But who's going to see it? Nobody.

Yiayia4 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:32:05

I have just started diamond art Jennil23 and really enjoying it.

MarinaL Tue 16-Feb-21 13:34:34

I've done a couple of Latch Hook kits, not sure if that's the same as the long stitch that has been mentioned. It's like the Readicut rugs of old if anyone remembers those! They look lovely when finished.

Lettie44 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:43:26

I worked during the previous lockdown and retired in November. I’ve taken up crochet and I really enjoy making teddy bears and dolls. I find it really relaxing and therapeutic. My friends and grandchildren love them . I’m hoping to build up my experience of different stitches and techniques with a view to designing patterns at some point in the future

mar76 Tue 16-Feb-21 13:43:51

Sorry to say I have lost interest in everything.

Gin Tue 16-Feb-21 13:44:19

I thought Denman was closing down?

Happysexagenarian Tue 16-Feb-21 13:49:24

I've become interested in scroll saw work. I bought the saw for DH for Christmas but I've used it more than he has.
I also renewed my interest in Family History research which I'd put in mothballs several years ago.
And just occasionally I cook something, usually a cake.