Gransnet forums

Chat

Shipwrecked- which 3 possessions do you want for your desert island?

(91 Posts)
ixion Tue 16-Feb-21 08:55:35

(Based, unimaginatively, on a long-standing radio programme!).
You are allowed
One Book
One Single track of Music
One photograph

What would you take, and why?

Sheilasue Tue 16-Feb-21 17:47:43

Kate Atkinson Book
A fluffy throw to lay on
Flair gun.

Happyme Tue 16-Feb-21 17:44:06

Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor..no matter how many times I read it I still find something new..and I can never remember 'who dunnit'.

Music track so much harder, depends on my mood as to a favourite. ? oh ok Gene Genie by David Bowie.

Photograph has to be of my children and grandchildren. Don't actually have one of them all together so need to get that sorted first.

Can I book my trip now or do have to wait till l**kd**n lifted?

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Feb-21 17:38:32

The complete works of Dickens - I’d go mad if I ran out of something to read. With blank pages between each novel that I could write on using the stub of pencil cunningly concealed in my bra.

I’ll pass on the music, as I’d end up hating anything I’d to listen to over and over again.

A photo of the whole family, all together.

annodomini Tue 16-Feb-21 17:06:04

Sunscreen, snorkelling mask and flippers.

Elvis58 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:49:10

Wuthering heights the book.
Lipstick.
Picture of my 4 grandchildren.

lizzypopbottle Tue 16-Feb-21 16:37:11

Great news Pomsky even if off topic ? so it deserves a response! Congratulations!

Pomsky Tue 16-Feb-21 16:29:07

Great day of mixed fortunes. Wonderful news that after 5 years on medication for breast cancer I can now stop taking it. Felt quite euphoric so drove to the local park for a short walk to gather my thoughts, only to find a parking penalty notice for £25 when I returned. Even that couldn’t spoil my day!
Anyone else want to share good and bad news within a few hours?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:27:20

A book of poisonous plants and insects, so I could avoid them.

I would not bother about music, unless I could also have something to play it on, but I would like a hatchet for chopping firewood and making a boat.

In that connection DH would be much more useful than his photo.

Jaxjacky Tue 16-Feb-21 16:25:02

Oops not 2020, they weren’t here, 2019, two flipping years ago now.?

timetogo2016 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:17:45

A rubber dingy.
Tooth paste.
A large family photo.

jenpax Tue 16-Feb-21 16:10:20

Vivaldi 4 seasons, book any collection of Elizabethan/Jacobean comedies, photo would be last Halloween (before the first lockdown) a lovely picture of all the grandchildren holding pumpkins of various sizes and colours (even the baby!) in a gorgeous autumnal field.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 16-Feb-21 16:01:59

The First Circle by Solzhenitsyn
Insomnia by Faithless
A photo of DH and I with elder son, partner and their daughter, younger son and my daughter

gillyknits Tue 16-Feb-21 16:00:02

Book would be Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
Music Can you Hear the People Sing from Les Miserables ( to uplift my mood!)
Photo of my family

RulaNula Tue 16-Feb-21 15:58:27

Tom's Midnight Garden

7 Tears by the Goonbay Dance Band

Photo of my dog

Billybob4491 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:54:56

Book - The Bible

Music - Any song by Meatloaf

Photo - My wedding day.

and can I take a jar of Beetroot please?

Esspee Tue 16-Feb-21 15:50:09

Saw the title and immediately thought of a good knife, a cooking pot and a lighter. Just shows where my priorities lie.?

Molly10 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:20:25

Maybe...

The Great Escape

I Will Survive

The View in front of me with the sun setting over the sea

grin sunshine

Bluecat Tue 16-Feb-21 15:15:10

Middlemarch. Never got round to reading it, but on my island I wouldn't be distracted by more alluring books. Read War and Peace in hospital, on the same principle.

One Fine Day, from Madame Butterfly, sung by Ying Huang. There are so many songs that mean a lot to me, by people like Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, etc, but I couldn't choose just one to play over and over again. One Fine Day, on the other hand, is a thing of sheer beauty.

I would want a photo of my entire family together but don't have one, as half of them are in the USA. So I would take my favourite photo from our wedding.

Yammy Tue 16-Feb-21 14:34:17

"Gone with the wind.,"....tomorrows another day.
Strauss' "The Blue Danube.".....happy and uplifting
My wedding ring...... my engagement ring was stolen.

icanhandthemback Tue 16-Feb-21 14:32:37

Book: an encyclopaedia. I might learn a thing or two and actually retain the information.
Track: Avenged SevenFold's A little piece of heaven. When it is playing I always envisage staging it because it is like a mini rock opera all on its own.
Photograph: I don't have a photograph with all of my family together and the only one I have with most of us, my daughter is missing. It would have to that one but I would have to sneak a photo of my daughter two where she looks so happy, it pulls at my heart strings because I know how hard happiness is to come by for her.

grandmajet Tue 16-Feb-21 13:42:34

Book, the one I’ve just started. Troubled Blood by Robert Galbraith. It’s over 900 pages long so should see me out!

Music, We Love to Boogie, T Rex. It always makes me bounce about, so good to keep fit.

Photo, a big family holiday picture to give me hope.

cavewoman Tue 16-Feb-21 13:41:31

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Vivaldi's Four Seasons

A collage of everyone I've ever loved

Happysexagenarian Tue 16-Feb-21 13:37:41

A treadle sewing machine (if there's no power)
Scissors, needles and thread
Lots of fabric

At least I'd have something to do and clothes to wear. I can live without books and music and I'd never forget what my family look like or how they sound.

Rowsie Tue 16-Feb-21 13:23:39

A pair of tweezers (otherwise my chin hair would be as long as Robinson Crusoe's by the time I was rescued), writing paper and a pencil.

Sarahmob Tue 16-Feb-21 12:55:21

Book - Les Miserables - it’s long and would keep me going for a bit.

Music - Mamma Mia (first record I ever bought and never fails to make me smile)

Photo - my daughter and I holding my gorgeous grandson - my loves