Gransnet forums

Chat

Shipwrecked- which 3 possessions do you want for your desert island?

(91 Posts)
ixion Tue 16-Feb-21 08:55:35

(Based, unimaginatively, on a long-standing radio programme!).
You are allowed
One Book
One Single track of Music
One photograph

What would you take, and why?

Hawera1 Mon 22-Feb-21 08:44:01

A very very long book as I might be there for a long time and I might have to burn it to attract help, a photo of me when I was young and a song that uplifts me and makes me motivated and positive. Definately nothing melancholic.

LauraNorder Mon 22-Feb-21 02:54:19

Great story grannyactivist. I’d certainly want your sister in my corner if our plane went down on a desert island. Practical and fun.

grannyactivist Mon 22-Feb-21 02:11:18

Hope you don't mind me sharing an anecdote here:

My younger sister was in a dead end waitressing job and decided she would like to join British Airways as cabin crew. Our family was working class poor and my sister left school as soon as she could without taking any exams, so wasn't obviously cabin crew material. [It was a middle class job in those days.]

Being much older and with more experience I coached her for interview, doing endless role plays with her. Our eldest sister, by then quite wealthy, dressed her very smartly so she looked the part and did her hair and make up. Suitably prepared off she went to her interview.

There was a group interview where the candidates sat in a circle and were tasked with discussing which three items they would want with them if they were marooned on a desert island. Very seriously they proposed having the means to start a fire, water purification etc. and in a lull my sister piped up, "Tampax - I'm not messing about with leaves and grass, desert island or not I've got to keep some standards, I'm taking my Tampax." She said the other candidates looked appalled, but the observers were trying not to smile. The discussion continued and again my sister chose her moment, "I need my make-up bag. If I'm going to get rescued by a millionaire on his yacht I want to look good or he might not bother to stop."

I can't now remember what she wanted for her third item, but she got the job and worked for more than thirty years for BA, retiring only last year. I think of my sister and her interview every time I hear the words 'desert island' and I never cease to smile at how her quirky sense of humour won the day.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 01:13:20

Ah yes - power ? - but for me this is hypothetical.
I'd also need my prescription sunglasses, toothpaste, suncream - never been known to travel light.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 01:08:48

A G4 mast
Kindle
Updated Culpeppers Almanac

GrannyRose15 Mon 22-Feb-21 00:21:27

rowyn

Am I naive, or are those who think they can use ( and charge) their phones on a desert island even more so?

What about a solar panel? smile

GrannyRose15 Mon 22-Feb-21 00:17:44

Can I book my trip now or do have to wait till l**kd**n lifted?

smile smile smile

Oh, that made me laugh, Happyme.

GrannyRose15 Mon 22-Feb-21 00:12:12

What no luxury!?

I'd take "Pride and Prejudice"
The duet from "The Pearl Fishers"
and my favourite photo of my grandchildren - would have to wait till May though to be shipwrecked. We're expecting our third then and it would be a shame if he wasn't in the picture.

as for my luxury, I've always thought I wouldn't be able to live without every skin cream and potion known to woman.

HillyN Mon 22-Feb-21 00:01:18

As many of you seem to have wandered off the book/music/picture stipulation, can I take my medication, please? Without it I wouldn't live long anyway sad

henetha Sun 21-Feb-21 12:09:11

My poetry collection, started when I was 14.
Superglue. so I can glue trees together and make a shelter.
Duct tape, for the same reason.

moggie57 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:02:55

And a knife instead of the Bible maybe

moggie57 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:01:49

A photo of my daughter and grandchildren.a big box of matches.and my bible

SooozedaFlooze Sun 21-Feb-21 11:40:56

OP..
They may have been acting like 5 year olds but it's a photo you treasure forever

crazygranny Sun 21-Feb-21 11:09:12

Not an answer but a lovely story. I was listening to Desert Island Discs and the guest recounted asking his young son what he should name as something to take with him. The little boy thought and suggested a car door. When asked why he answered,
'So when it gets hot you can wind the window down'
I love kids.

Alittlemadam Fri 19-Feb-21 20:45:56

A magnifying glass to reflect the sun to start a fire
A ball of string to make a bow and arrow or a fishing rod
A pen knife

Billybob4491 Fri 19-Feb-21 16:24:53

Witzend you could always take your knitting!

Nannagarra Fri 19-Feb-21 16:19:33

Charles Dickens’ complete works - so many characters, narratives and sub plots.
‘Heard it through the grapevine’ - makes me feel like a teenager again plus it reminds me of the fit male in the advert.
Family photograph for obvious reasons.

If I could update Plomley’s list:
a solar-powered iPad (full of books and photographs) with internet connection
flip flops with lots and lots of bling - the tackier the better
a wide-brimmed hat from which an ankle-length mosquito net could be draped

Witzend Fri 19-Feb-21 09:17:54

An endless supply of all-over moisturiser would be my first priority, or within a few days I’d be itching like mad, not to mention resembling a prehistoric scaly lizard.

My Kindle, pre-loaded with as much as it will take.

And of course a solar charger for it, assuming that such a thing will be available by then.
With nothing to read I’d go completely mad within a month, and probably offer myself as breakfast to any passing shark.

B9exchange Thu 18-Feb-21 16:19:17

Book - the Bible
Music The whole of Handel's Messiah, or if I can't have that, Pachabel's Canon.
Photograph - All 16 members of my family. Very boring, aren't I ?

Newatthis Wed 17-Feb-21 09:19:45

What? No cheese.

Nanna58 Tue 16-Feb-21 21:45:12

Book- Robinson Crusoe
Music - I will survive ; Gloria Gaynor
Photo- My Grandson

LMW1 Tue 16-Feb-21 20:57:17

Book would be a jotter & pen
Music Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke
Photograph of my entire family

chazwin Tue 16-Feb-21 20:43:23

ixion

(Based, unimaginatively, on a long-standing radio programme!).
You are allowed
One Book
One Single track of Music
One photograph

What would you take, and why?

Encyclopaedia Britanica
Beethoven's Seventh Symphony
Photo of my family with my dog.

muse Tue 16-Feb-21 18:49:58

A Terry Pratchett book but which one? Definitely one with Mort in.
Scattered Black and Whites by Elbow
Photo of my daughter and granddaughter. To celebrating my granddaughter's 16th birthday last December, they went walking with Llamas in Yorkshire (snip of the photo). They look so happy.

LauraNorder Tue 16-Feb-21 18:13:03

Book - Nations Favourite Poems put together by Griff Rhys Jones, gives me hours of pleasure and can read over and over again.
Music- anything by Nina Simone, especially ‘My Baby just Cares for Me’.
Photograph- taken in 2019 of the whole family from all corners of the globe in our garden, in front of the tree house our four boys had just built for all the children.