Gransnet forums

Chat

Who's made you laugh?

(118 Posts)
muse Tue 16-Feb-21 12:24:00

When doing the thread about gigs, I got to thinking of all the comedians I've seen live. Not many but these are them
:
Rob Brydon (heard nearly all the material before on TV shows)
Jasper Carrott
French and Saunders
Mark Watson
Jack Whitehall
Sarah Millican
Miranda Hart
But the one that outshines them all was Victoria Wood. Saw her twice and sadly miss her.

One I would love to see is Billy Connolly and a stage performance of The Goons.

Who've you seen or would love/loved to have seen?

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Feb-21 18:50:23

We’ve seen many of the above, and also the fantastic Peter Kay (twice), who was our favourite, Ross Noble and Dara O’Brain, who was surprisingly fond of the F word.

I’d agree with WW010 about Sarah Millican - she was very crude and had completely misjudged her audience at our small venue (in fact she lost about a third of them at the interval grin).

We love live comedy and it’s often very cheap, if you can spot the good ones before they get well known.

blossom14 Tue 16-Feb-21 19:29:31

I never rated Ken Dodd with his TV shows. However, his live act was a revelation. He would never leave the stage until he had the whole audience completely under his spell.

Curlywhirly Tue 16-Feb-21 19:32:29

Dave Allen - being a Catholic, some of his sketches had me in stitches
Peter Kay - especially Car Share
Billy Conolly - in his younger days, not so much in recent years

Curlywhirly Tue 16-Feb-21 19:33:46

Sorry Billy, that should be Connolly!

lemsip Tue 16-Feb-21 21:55:30

as well as liking to watch victoria wood repeats on tv I also watch her on the You Tube. also all sorts of funny clips including bloopers on news and game shows......

this is an american one.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcWzdX1e41g

Rileysnana Thu 18-Feb-21 10:42:14

Jon Richsrdson
Sean Locke
Micky Flanagan
Sarah Pascoe
Jimmy Carr.
I like comedy panel shows where they all bounce off each other.

cossybabe Thu 18-Feb-21 10:44:19

Oh, how I loved Dave Allen with his dry wit.

Oldernewgranny Thu 18-Feb-21 10:44:40

Peter Kay and Lee Evans were hilarious, a great night out.
John Bishop was also very entertaining.

Moggycuddler Thu 18-Feb-21 10:48:29

Monty Python. The best.

Quizzer Thu 18-Feb-21 10:49:46

Michael MacIntyre in a small venue on his warm up tour. I cried laughing.
Rhod Gilbert
Dave Gorman
Russell Kane we were probably the eldest there but loved him.

We saw Paul Foot at a comedy night who was simply not funny and insulted the audience for not laughing. When he suggested that he finished his act early a well spoken lady at the back shouted "Thank god for that" to the applause of everyone else.

Yangste1007 Thu 18-Feb-21 10:50:58

John Bishop - very good
Micky Flanagan - hilarious
Rob Brydon - good
Sarah Millican - crude and not very funny
French and Saunders - who knew they had such a large gay following, we didn't! Very funny though
Lenny Henry - good
Milton Jones - terrible
Reginald D Hunter - boring
Rich Hall - seen him twice, first time was very funny. However second time a lot of repeated material.

The one who made me laugh the most was Micky Flanagan. Also although not strictly a comedian but very amusing and interesting was Bill Bryson.

Shinamae Thu 18-Feb-21 10:51:25

Jethro and Peter Kaye...?

Nanananana1 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:00:34

WW010 I agree about Ivan Brackenbury, saw him at Edinburgh Fringe twice and again here in Yorkshire. He does tour so you can catch him at smaller venues. His hospital radio DJ is fantastic
My list would also include:
Kevin Bridges (saw one of his first ever gigs)
Jimeoin
Tim Vine
Andy Parsons
Bill Bailey
Billy Connolly
Sarah Millican
Victoria Wood
If you ever want a comedy overload I recommend the Edinburgh Fringe when it is back up and running. You can see several gigs a day and will never stop laughing for a week.

Thanks for the happy memories, nothing like a good laugh to cheer us all up

Boolya Thu 18-Feb-21 11:01:59

Jasper Carrott
Max Boyce
Sarah Millican
Barry Cryer with Willie Rushton
Tim Brooke-Taylor
Jimmy Edwards & Eric Sykes adlibbing in Big Bad Mouse(1974 I think)
Frankie Howerd - 1968(?) in 'Way Out in Piccadilly', laughed so much I missed half of the jokes.

libra10 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:02:59

We don't go to concerts much these days, but while on holiday we booked to see Ken Dodd at the London Palladium. He was absolutely hilarious! Never laughed so much!

Also saw Morecambe & Wise in Blackpool, who were amazing.

On TV, I enjoy watching 'Would I Lie to You?' Lee Mack & Co have me laughing throughout the show.

dolphindaisy Thu 18-Feb-21 11:08:39

My all time favourite was Bob Monkhouse. In the 60s people would queue for hours to see him on the local nightclubs. I know he could appear smarmy on TV but on stage he was very very witty. He loved having hecklers in the audience and always had an answer, no one could ever get the better of him. I also loved Dave Allen another very witty comedian.
These days I enjoy Would I lie to You? and Peter Kay

Shawlands2000 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:13:44

One of the funniest comedians I saw live was Mike Harding. I laughed so much my stomach hurt. ?

Craftycat Thu 18-Feb-21 11:14:50

Saw Billy Connolly live years ago & he was brilliant. You just have to get used to every second word being a 4 letter one! Also saw Jasper Carrott who was great.
I loved Victoria Wood- such a shame she is no longer with us.
I like Jack Whitehall too

Hellsgrandad Thu 18-Feb-21 11:16:28

I can't believe that no one has yet mentioned Ken Dodd. I can remember, many years ago, being grateful when the interval came in his show because I'd laughed so much that it hurt.

sazz1 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:18:06

Dave Allen aways made me laugh. He was in tune with my sense of humour

inishowen Thu 18-Feb-21 11:18:19

I saw Billy Connelly in Dublin a few years ago. I dont think he was very well as he referred to his script a few times. I've seen Brendan Oscar O'Carrol before he became Mrs Brown. His stand up show was the best ever. I'd love to have seen Peter Kay.

inishowen Thu 18-Feb-21 11:19:08

The name Oscar shouldn't be in my post. It appeared from nowhere!

AlexG Thu 18-Feb-21 11:26:47

Ken Dodd. Saw him a few years ago as he was one of the ‘old school’ whom I was determined to get to see before he turned up his toes. He was very funny and did a very clever performance that went on for ever. We actually left the theatre about 12.30 which was long before he finished as it was so hot in there!

henetha Thu 18-Feb-21 11:32:56

I also saw Ken Dodd at our theatre in Torquay a few years ago and he was brilliantly funny. Although elderly by then, he had so much energy and went on for hours.
Quite a few years back I saw Tommy Cooper at a Butlins holiday camp and absolutely loved him, he was hilarious.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 18-Feb-21 11:33:46

Mickey Flanagan Sarah Millican Peter Kay, Dave Allen, Jimmy Carr, Lee Evans