Gransnet forums

Chat

Totally unimportant things that drive you insane.

(114 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 17-Feb-21 12:10:22

Why is a Jaffa Cake classed as a biscuit? It's made of sponge. Surely that makes it a cake.

Blossoming Wed 17-Feb-21 19:12:11

This is not imho pointless but it would drive me insane. People using my sewing shears to cut paper!

Susiewong65 Wed 17-Feb-21 19:46:23

People who squeeze a loaf of bread in a large supermarket, that clearly has fresh bread delivered everyday, just to check if it’s fresh then don’t buy it, makes my eyes roll !

Cabbie21 Wed 17-Feb-21 20:16:01

The current trend to pronounce words ending in -ing as if they end in -in.
I hear this is a number of adverts on TV, and there is one BBC reporter/ correspondent who does it.

hulahoop Wed 17-Feb-21 20:26:43

People who don't pronounce words properly such has Wevver instead of weather .

Jillyjosie Wed 17-Feb-21 20:37:07

People who won't take no for an answer when they try to give you jars of their homemade jam or marmalade which you don't eat!

grandmajet Wed 17-Feb-21 20:39:16

Starting every sentence with so......

JackyB Wed 17-Feb-21 20:59:25

Coat hangers

3dognight Wed 17-Feb-21 21:40:59

The way presenters on the BBC,,when doing an outside broadcast in winter, have to have on enormous scarves!

welbeck Wed 17-Feb-21 21:53:41

just a slight gripe, hearing the president's name pronounced;
Rooooos-e-velt,
instead of the correct,
Rose-e-velt.
as in, row, row row your boat../ a rose by any other name...

i don;t know why it bothers me, a kind of verbal tic, i have to say it correctly even to the disembodied radio voice.

Nana3 Wed 17-Feb-21 21:57:20

Georgesgran long, long ago a poster said (can't remember who it was) that she daringly put the dividing thingy at the supermarket checkout horizontally instead of vertically just to be annoying, or daring, or something like that.
I do this all the time now, I'm daring myself to be annoying, absolutely don't know why ?

NellG Wed 17-Feb-21 22:12:18

Christmas cards from people you see every day.

Blinko Wed 17-Feb-21 22:23:05

When I want to do my bit by recycling a bottle or jar, but it has a non recyclable top on it which I can't prise off without breaking a knife, a nail or a finger...grr!

Aveline Wed 17-Feb-21 22:31:55

People that criticise other people's speech!

Casdon Wed 17-Feb-21 22:36:01

My son suffers from man blindness. At least once every day he opens the fridge or food cupboard and says ‘where’s the butter’ or ‘we’ve run out of tomato sauce’ or whatever else he wants. I look and it’s literally right there, without even moving anything, he just can’t see it. Drives me mad.

MissAdventure Wed 17-Feb-21 23:48:00

Ramblingrose22

Absolutely agree Blossoming. Life without just cake wouldn't be a life.

I once saw a claim on another website about a cake called "Better Than Sex Cake". I eagerly looked up the cake and its ingredients only to find one of its main ingredients was something I don't like. You can imagine my disappointment!

Maybe I should start an argument on the arguments thread about what the ingredients should have been.

It should be renamed "About the same as sex". smile

Hetty58 Thu 18-Feb-21 00:03:22

I have a pathological hatred of sticky labels, clothes tags and hanging ribbons - and my obsession with their complete removal!

Calendargirl Thu 18-Feb-21 07:16:33

3dognight

The way presenters on the BBC,,when doing an outside broadcast in winter, have to have on enormous scarves!

Yet their overcoats are often not even fastened up!

Hetty58 Thu 18-Feb-21 07:37:21

PIR security lights that suddenly blind you when you walk past a house. Why are they allowed?

In particular, the light from a house at the back (that should have been directed a little lower) that flashed on every single time I used the back door.

To avoid migraines, I had to 'install' something in my tree to block it from my eyes. My search in the garage revealed an old mirror - ideal! I made sure it reflected back exactly.(Of course, they've moved it now.)

nanna8 Thu 18-Feb-21 07:50:35

They took away the dividers in supermarkets here because of Covid ( everyone touches them)
Bubble packs where they are impossible to open without scissors and when you do get them open you cut yourself on the sharp edges.

ginny Thu 18-Feb-21 08:05:01

People who say ‘choclit’ instead of chocolate.

LauraNorder Thu 18-Feb-21 08:50:02

Hetty we once had that problem, I wish I’d thought of your solution. Brilliant.

grannyrebel7 Thu 18-Feb-21 08:58:34

Ugh jaffa cakes vile monstrosities whether they're cakes or biscuits!

Witzend Thu 18-Feb-21 09:02:17

I forgot very long posts with no paragraphs.
I’m afraid just can’t be bothered to wade through them.

NellG Thu 18-Feb-21 09:09:25

Those ribbons on new clothes, designed to keep them on the hangers. Are you supposed to keep them or cut them off and never hang the item without it falling off? If you keep them they travel out of the neck and look stupid.

Blinko Thu 18-Feb-21 09:09:32

Just thought of another annoying thing. When you click on a link to a website and before you can get to to your topic of choice, you have to wait whilst all the adverts click in, making the website jump all over the place. GN included!