Gransnet forums

Chat

Awkward people

(52 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 17-Feb-21 16:36:31

Ever known anyone it is difficult to talk to? I have a few people like this.

One is the wife of a friend. I really like her. But conversation is stilted and awkward. It doesn't flow and isn't easy. It is always hard work being with her. Odd, because I can usually chat away to most people.

Another one is an ex landlady of mine. I lodged with her for a few months when I moved to the other end of the country. Not as keen on her, although she was perfectly nice and actually, was very kind to me. But again, I found making conversation with her very difficult. Stilted. Abrupt. Hard bl**dy work.

My current boss. I never really know when conversation is over and end up shuffling awkwardly out of her room, not knowing if I am being abrupt and exiting before the end of the convo. Strange woman. I always find it hard to talk to her.

OR maybe it IS me? But then why do I find it so easy to talk to most other people?

Hetty58 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:02:51

I can't be bothered to chat much - even with people I like. Close friends understand that. Some just can't abide silences and go on about any boring old nonsense (wasting my time) just to keep going.

I'm very abrupt and brief with those I don't like, but still have to talk to (relatives or colleagues). I bet they think I'm hard work. So, maybe consider if the 'awkward' ones really want a conversation with you.