Gransnet forums

Chat

Boring question, how do you like your bananas. Yellow or Green?

(35 Posts)
Jen65 Sat 20-Feb-21 15:22:52

Mine have to be yellow before I even think about eating them. I spend at least 2 minutes browsing the bananas in Tesco looking for the yellowest ones.

Ro60 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:49:12

Thanks for the fridge tip.
My banana has to be yellow with a slight green tinge down the side
After that they go in my morning smoothie, curry, or bananas & custard with GD.
Recently saw Nigella chop the very brown skin up to go in a curry. Tried it last week - texture similar to aubergine but not so tasty.
Will try once more at some point.

nanna8 Mon 22-Feb-21 11:05:06

I’m a magnet, too. Can’t even go in the backyard without the bushmans in the evening. Saw a lot of skinks running around, maybe they will eat them ? Hope so. I’m growing an avocado next to a cherry tree and they are entwined together. I think they’re in love.

Rufus2 Mon 22-Feb-21 10:48:51

The damned trees are mosquito attracters
Laura Pause for a moment and read;

Trees!
“They can feel pain, [and] have emotions, such as fear. Trees like to stand close together and cuddle. They love company and like to take things slow,” – these are just a couple of findings by Peter Wohlleben, a German researcher who devoted his work to studying trees.
“There is in fact friendship among trees,” says Wohlleben. “They can form bonds like an old couple, where one looks after the other. Trees have feelings.”

No! That wasn't Spike Milligan! grin

I think you were the problem by being a Mozzie Magnet
Some people attract them; others don't.
My darling Vera was a supa-magnet which resulted in us never being able to hold hands when sitting in the garden by the light of a silvery moon because she needed to slap away squadrons of the blighters; the so-called Aussie salute!
So take care next time you go down to the woods! They're listening! grin
OoRoo

LauraNorder Sun 21-Feb-21 14:17:43

Having lived in Queensland and grown my own bananas Rufus, I was a rebel with bent bananas. The damned trees are mosquito attracters.
Can’t stomach bananas now.

Rufus2 Sun 21-Feb-21 13:25:25

They grow up in Queensland
nanna8 Did you know that Queensland bananas grow naturally straight, but there's a whole army of workers correcting them; that's why Queenslanders are affectionately known as "Banana Benders!" grin
OoRoo

flump Sun 21-Feb-21 12:31:19

When your bananas have just reached your preferred ripeness, put them in the fridge. They will last longer. The skins will develop brown spots but, when peeled, the insides will still be clear and not mushy. There are exceptions, of course, and you cannot leave them for weeks on end but, in general, this helps.

Urmstongran Sun 21-Feb-21 10:36:54

I need to gird my loins first.
?

suziewoozie Sun 21-Feb-21 09:40:11

Urmstongran

You’re right - it is a boring question.
?

Well two points
Yes it’s boring - how lovely - yellow btw
Move it to arguments thread and see what happens
?

nanna8 Sun 21-Feb-21 09:30:54

Yellow but if they go too brown they make wonderful banana bread, the flavour is better. Never tried boiling them but maybe that is a different variety. We get lady fingers and ordinary ones here in Australia ,the lady fingers are smaller and sweeter and more expensive. They grow up in Queensland, we don’t import any as far as I know.

Esspee Sat 20-Feb-21 22:47:37

Proper green bananas are boiled and served as you would potatoes.
Plantain, the large cooking bananas can be boiled when yellow and taste savoury but when really overripe with brown bits on the skin they are wonderful fried until slightly caramelised.
The best flavoured eating bananas are not the variety you get in this country. The smaller varieties have an exquisite texture and taste.

Blossoming Sat 20-Feb-21 22:33:18

I like mine coated in dark chocolate ?

Hetty58 Sat 20-Feb-21 22:07:49

A suitably boring answer - I don't like bananas!

maydonoz Sat 20-Feb-21 21:58:13

Bananas are our favourite fruit, I tend to buy a bunch of yellow ready to eat and some green ones to ripen at home, I don't like them when overripe or mushy, then it's time to make a banana loaf, any excuse for a homemade treat!

Lauren59 Sat 20-Feb-21 19:27:15

I like bananas when they just have turned yellow. They’re probably only good (for me) for about one day! I really dislike the too sweet mushiness of very ripe bananas and if they have any brown spots, yuck!

boat Sat 20-Feb-21 19:11:09

I like bananas when they are mid green.

I remember tasting banana for the first time (after the war, one between a family of six). I was a small child so liked the sweetness but not the rest of the flavour.

Now-a-days I prefer savoury tastes and bananas that aren't very sweet.

Witzend Sat 20-Feb-21 18:54:49

I only like them before they’ve got any brown spots.
I might eat them after that, but sliced and sprinkled with lemon juice. Just too over-sweet otherwise.

Mollygo Sat 20-Feb-21 18:24:54

Buy them green, eat them yellow/ yellow and brown, cook with them if they’ve not been eaten before becoming really brown.

rockgran Sat 20-Feb-21 17:22:35

Yellow when buying but brown spots for eating. If too ripe I freeze them and make ice cream.

Kittye Sat 20-Feb-21 16:38:55

I buy them green. DH will eat them any colour, but I like them when they’ve turned yellow with brown flecks. Much better flavour ?

Septimia Sat 20-Feb-21 16:30:28

DH can't eat them. I like them greenish as, once they're ripe, I find the flavour too strong.

However.... they need to be ripe for brown sugar and banana sandwiches, which I love!

Bathsheba Sat 20-Feb-21 16:29:02

I buy them slightly green so that they ripen at home. If I buy them completely yellow, then after 3 or 4 days they're no good. (But then they go in a banana loaf wink)

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:24:08

Just turned yellow

grandmajet Sat 20-Feb-21 16:21:40

We’re a no banana household. It’s the only thing Grandpajet hates, and the smell makes him ?

Oldbat1 Sat 20-Feb-21 16:17:36

Buy green as I don’t like bananas with brown spots. My dad used to love the over ripe ones but definitely not for me.

M0nica Sat 20-Feb-21 16:15:28

Am I the only person who doesn't particularly like bananas. Anything but, is usually my choice when offered fruit.