Gransnet forums

Chat

Which actors do you consider over rated?

(217 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:27:12

Flicking through channels last night I came across an actor who I think is vastly over rated and I can't understand those who think he is talented. I am talking about Mandy Patinkin. His movements are wooden, he rarely speaks with any inflection and has only one expression - miserable, even when trying to smile!

NellG Mon 22-Feb-21 21:28:55

Lily James, is there anything she isn't in these days? Girl must be exhausted.

Skallagrigg Mon 22-Feb-21 22:28:06

Mandy Patinkin also thought he could sing? If you think his acting is bad perhaps you should have a listen.

grannybuy Mon 22-Feb-21 23:37:43

Funnily enough, whenever I saw the title of the thread, Danny Dyer was the name that came into my head. I"m in good company.

vira70 Tue 23-Feb-21 07:36:50

Brenda Blethyn with that same whiny voice in everything she plays...Amanda Holden up her own backside....Lorraine Kelly soo false...Danny Dyer soo rough how did he get that game show ...Tracy Solomon and that boyfriend of her’s can’t even speak the Queens English.....I could go on ...how do they get these jobs ..

Rowsie Tue 23-Feb-21 09:47:41

Hugh Grant! He is the stupid upper class twit in every film he has been in. Having said that he seems to have got better as he gets older and has done some half decent roles lately.

eazybee Tue 23-Feb-21 09:49:13

Riverdaffyd
I so agree! (MM)

In the past she would have been referred to as a starlet.

Jaffacake2 Tue 23-Feb-21 09:51:08

Peter O Toole was awful actor as he aged. Went to see him play Macbeth at Bristol theatre and people just laughed when he said his opening speech,completely hammed it !! Most of the audience walked out by the interval .

Jane43 Tue 23-Feb-21 10:19:32

I think Martin Clunes is very overrated as well and just plays himself. I used to think the same about Neil Morrissey but I saw him in a stage play of Rain Man, he played Raymond and was outstanding with huge amounts of complicated dialogue to remember. He got a standing ovation and it changed my opinion of him. He was type cast as a pretty boy but as he aged he was given different opportunities and proved he was amore than able actor.

harold Tue 23-Feb-21 11:00:41

I thought David Tennant was really good in the TV film "Des", a factual account of a serial killer, so would disagree with his name in the list.
My main gripe is when several women are cast who are often similar in height, build and hair style/colour so I am constantly getting them mixed up.
I do have an appointment with an optician next week which may help though.
ment

Eloethan Tue 23-Feb-21 11:25:15

Someone mentioned Brian Blessed. I agree. I can't stand that booming, over-the-top voice. He obviously thinks it's amusing.

hollysteers Tue 23-Feb-21 12:17:50

Timothy Spaull, just hated how he grunted through the film based on J.M.W.Turner.

paddyanne Tue 23-Feb-21 12:54:19

RulaNula ,Lorriane kelly isn't an actress,she started as a reporter and went onto presenting .
I'm not a fan either to be honest but you cant say the same about her as you would an actress who is being paid to play different roles ...IMO

scrapgran Tue 23-Feb-21 15:16:02

Can't stand Keira Knightley and IMHO she can't act. Love David Tennant, Nicola Walker, Richard Armitage ( brilliant in Uncle Vanya) Anne Reid and I am liking Morven Christie in The Bay

Aptera Mon 01-Mar-21 15:44:38

Keira Knightley! Beautiful face but one of the worst actresses I`ve ever seen. Plank of wood.

Artsandcraftsnanny Thu 04-Mar-21 07:52:07

RulaNula

Not a fan of Suranne Jones either.

There's a chap who used to be in everything. Some antique thing. A drama.

Some people found him attractive but I never did.

Can I remember his name?

No I can't

Ian McShane? He was Lovejoy, then he went all tough in some American drama. He also played the devil in a film with Cher.

Imavinhoops73 Thu 04-Mar-21 19:12:31

Jude Law.
Tom Hardy (just why??)
Brad Pitt.