Gransnet forums

Chat

Which actors do you consider over rated?

(217 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Sun 21-Feb-21 10:27:12

Flicking through channels last night I came across an actor who I think is vastly over rated and I can't understand those who think he is talented. I am talking about Mandy Patinkin. His movements are wooden, he rarely speaks with any inflection and has only one expression - miserable, even when trying to smile!

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 12:12:03

I disagree about Hugh Grant. He was terrific in Paddington, and that thing about Jeremy Thorpe.

The man who plays Nick in Corrie is dreadful, so wooden.

GillT57 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:20:38

Hugh Grant always played himself for years, but the casting of him in the Jeremy Thorpe drama was inspired, and he shoed himself to be a good actor. Maybe the problem was casting directors always wanting him to play the same kind of foppish role?

sodapop Sun 21-Feb-21 12:34:31

Hugh Grant but I didn't see the Jeremy Thorpe film so he may have been better in that
Danny Dyer
A lot of the Corrie cast Steve, Dev, Nick, Gail, but Mary has a great comedy talent.
Richard Gere
I agree that some actors are continually cast in the same sort of roles so we don't get to see their range of talent.

Galaxy Sun 21-Feb-21 12:35:37

Danny Dyer is just beyond awful.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 12:36:08

Mandy Patinkin used to be in an American hospital series on a Saturday night, it wasn’t ER, cannot recall the title, he played a surgeon, but I didn’t like him in it.

As for Daniel Craig. He was in a tv show, The Ice House, think it was based on a Minette Walters book but may have got that wrong.

Be still my beating heart! In it, he was sex on legs!

TerriBull Sun 21-Feb-21 12:40:28

Our Friends in the North featuring a relatively unknown Daniel Craig as mentioned by Trisher up thread was one of the best dramas I'd seen on TV. I don't think DC has ever been better than he was in that role, he's always a bit granite faced as James Bond for my liking.

Don't agree with you about Keeley Hawes though Trisher.

pollyolly Sun 21-Feb-21 12:44:37

Michael Caine always plays Michael Caine,same accent, same actions, boring!

Beauregard Sun 21-Feb-21 12:46:05

Adding to the Corrie list (the only soap I watch) - Fizz is so wooden, and Nina and Paul...

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 21-Feb-21 12:51:09

Talking about Judi Dench and Oscars, which I think we were. Judi D played a sublime Queen Victoria in Mrs Brown. Jessica Tandy got the Oscar for Driving Miss Daisy because they thought it was about time. Dench got one the following year for her 8 minute performance in Shakespeare in Love.

Luckygirl Sun 21-Feb-21 12:52:26

Bill Nighy is dire- he just...drones...on...and...on...in ...his...dull...dull...voice.

He does not make even a passing attempt to act - he could be reading a shopping list. How he gets work I do not know.

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 12:53:45

Grandmajet
Oh yes, Hugh Grant was fabulous in Paddington.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 12:57:27

Well, the Oscars aren’t about best actors and actresses.

More about whose turn it is, which factions are we appealing to this year, who is riding high in the popularity stakes at the moment......

Sara1954 Sun 21-Feb-21 13:00:37

Luckygirl
Who cares, he’s so sexy!

Georgesgran Sun 21-Feb-21 13:15:11

Calendargirl.

Was it Chicago Hope?

I’ve given up watching all the ‘soaps’ now - terrible wooden acting and ridiculous storylines.

mokryna Sun 21-Feb-21 13:15:22

The first two that come to mind is the Daniel Craig (adult) and Leonardo DiCaprio. Can’t see their characters, only them.
Saved is Hugh Grant because of the Jeremy Thorpe.
Don’t like Danny Dyer hosting shows and I don’t watch soaps.

Luckygirl Sun 21-Feb-21 13:16:34

Sara1954 - Bill Nighy sexy!!! I do not think so!!! Not one bit!!!

paddyanne Sun 21-Feb-21 13:22:36

Mandy Patinkin was in Yentyl with Barbra Streisand ,I liked him in that ,I assume he's Jewish as we have a Jewish friend who 'se name is Mandy short for Mandel to.Haven't heard it anywhere else .My additioon to those who just act themselves is Jason Steatham (sp) My GS used to want to see his films when he stayed with us and not only does he play the same character the films all have the same story just reworked

grandmajet Sun 21-Feb-21 13:35:45

Isn’t Bill Nighy with Anna Wintour now? Sorry, off the subject a bit - he’s not a great actor, but interesting to watch. He was good in the Marigold Hotel.

Blossoming Sun 21-Feb-21 13:43:22

Jude Law.

missingmarietta Sun 21-Feb-21 13:47:28

Dominic West.

Fernbergien Sun 21-Feb-21 13:51:50

The minuteI saw this come up I thought JohnWayne. Our friends in the north has always stuck with me. So good . Hugh Grant as Jeremy Thorpe surprisingly ver good.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 14:31:45

Yes Georgesgran, it was Chicago Hope, thank you.

hollysteers Sun 21-Feb-21 14:35:59

Tom Hanks, not sure why he is a star with his potato face?
Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow.

Judy54 Sun 21-Feb-21 14:36:19

Joanna Lumley, Joanna Lumley and Joanna Lumley.

RulaNula Sun 21-Feb-21 14:45:02

Fanny-why not just say Mandel then, its not much shorter is it?

That's how he likes to be called. Mandy. It's his business.

I really like him, Oldwoman70!

He's also a very talented musician. But not my genre so I don't get excited about that ;-)