Gransnet forums

Chat

Megan and Harry again!

(1001 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 21-Feb-21 12:15:54

Can someone please enlighten me in letting me know what was wrong in Harry and meghan saying "service is universal"? Surely it is. We also like to help each other and provide a service to each other when we can, that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Isn't this what they meant? There's seems to be a lot of H & M bashing again over this, however, it's all gone quiet over Prince Andrew's alleged sexual relationship with an underage girl. Am I missing something?

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 21:54:03

Can we and should we police language? Free speech is any speech that isn't hate speech.

Sure we can comment on perceived rudeness, and have a different opinion on word choice and even have a good old in and out about how it makes us feel - but I don't think anyone has the right to shut the conversation down because they don't approve. Or even ask for it to stop. They always have a choice to walk away though.

trisher I might agree with the bullying if any of the comments here were being posted with knowledge that M&H would be reading them, or with the intent to cause them direct harm. Bullying is always about intent, power and control. The commentary here can be seen as no more than perhaps upsetting? IMO.

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 21:58:35

Has someone tried to shut the conversation down? I have committed the unforgivable sin of not reading the whole thread.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 22:02:50

I was making a general comment about the way these kinds of threads go and the kind of complaints people have based on a number of critical posts that have gone before.

Lucca Tue 23-Feb-21 22:09:54

Galaxy

I dont hate the rf either, I would prefer a different structure but I dont feel particularly strongly. I find the words used about Meghan really odd and like something from another age to be honest which is why I respond. I dont have any strong feelings for Meghan either way. I think there is some sense from the threads about how people think women should be and its not really a perception of women that I agree with.

Exactly this.

MissAdventure Tue 23-Feb-21 22:13:35

My thoughts, too.
No strong feelings about any of them, Meghan included.

Summerlove Tue 23-Feb-21 22:25:41

maddyone

It is absolutely true that the press treated both Meghan and Catherine badly. In that suziewoozie is correct. After the engagement the press started to write about Catherine more favourably, whilst the press initially treated Meghan favourably but seemed to become more hostile over time. I would guess that this was because Meghan seemed to become quite dominant in the relationship and was frequently observed to ignore established protocols, such as walking ahead of Harry or other members of the royal family, when protocol dictates apparently that she should not do this. Now Gransnetters can think this is a load of old tosh if they want to, but it is a fact that the protocols are adhered to in public life. In private, I guess they do as they like. I’m not saying that I agree or disagree with these protocols, just that they are part of royal life, and if a person marries into the royal family and accepts all the privileges and wealth, then they must respect the protocols.

Please , tell me again how favourably she was treated early on?

How there was no racist overtones?

maddyone Wed 24-Feb-21 01:00:01

Only in your mind Summerlove.

maddyone Wed 24-Feb-21 01:02:28

The public were always happy to see her, and there is plenty of footage to show that. The gutter press are just that, but there is no evidence that the British people were racist.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 01:06:01

I think it would be quite hard to rationalise that headline in that way.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 01:06:53

maddyone

The public were always happy to see her, and there is plenty of footage to show that. The gutter press are just that, but there is no evidence that the British people were racist.

Agreed. The papers clearly were, which was vile. But I've never heard it from anyone but the press.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 01:11:59

I would imagine there was significant racism via social media as well.

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 01:16:07

I think it’s untrue to say that Meghan Markle was an unknown or second rate actress. I was a great fan of Suits as were most of my family and many of their friends. I often remarked that she was a good actress and had a certain elegance and beauty as the character Rachel, a paralegal, long before she drew Prince Harry’s attention.
I enjoyed their wedding and hoped for the best for them. I was sad when it all went pear shaped.
Now I’m heartily sick of the publicity seeking and attention grabbing, I’ve gone right off the pair of them.
I wish I could say that I won’t be watching the interview with Oprah but I have to admit to a morbid curiosity.
Don’t know why I was drawn back to this thread either.

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 01:17:03

Never heard anything racist from anyone in my acquaintance

nanna8 Wed 24-Feb-21 04:24:54

Can’t imagine why racism would come into it at all. Really don’t get that comment.

tickingbird Wed 24-Feb-21 09:04:48

It seems to me that racism is always brought into play when there is criticism of anyone of colour. Racism is abhorrent but it’s often used to shut down justified comment. I think the press did print some pretty nasty stuff about Meghan (her neighbourhood being close to Compton springs to mind) but generally, I don’t think the UK has been racist towards her.

I believe she wanted to do a ‘Diana’ and be universally loved and adored and it didn’t happen. The British public don’t get the American schmaltz. The banana writing was cringeworthy in the extreme.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 09:14:25

tickingbird I agree.

I admit to never having been much of a Diana fan, I never understood the adoration. However she did appear far more natural and spontaneous in her 'goodness'. Landmines and Aids patients vs bananas and podcasts?

Blinko Wed 24-Feb-21 09:18:01

Why are people still remotely interested in what this pair are up to? When they do something that's demonstrably to the greater benefit of humankind, fine. Till then, they're just another 'celebrity couple' aren't they? Why do they still retain their titles? What rot!

lemsip Wed 24-Feb-21 09:34:53

*tickingbird Wed 24-Feb-21 09:04:48
It seems to me that racism is always brought into play when there is criticism of anyone of colour. Racism is abhorrent but it’s often used to shut down justified comment*

I agree completely with what you say. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well said.

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 09:34:58

Blinko

Why are people still remotely interested in what this pair are up to? When they do something that's demonstrably to the greater benefit of humankind, fine. Till then, they're just another 'celebrity couple' aren't they? Why do they still retain their titles? What rot!

Not taking the mick out of you or your post Blinko, but I just had this scene play in my head:

" I waited and waited for them to do something good, followed them on instagram, supported them for years, and all I got for my trouble was was a ruddy banana and a lecture, and even the ruddy banana had been written on!"

?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 24-Feb-21 09:35:20

It’s like the Forth Bridge. Its never finished, when it seems the end is reached the same discussion replays again, and again, and ag........... grin

Ellianne Wed 24-Feb-21 09:43:04

Greeneyedgirl

It’s like the Forth Bridge. Its never finished, when it seems the end is reached the same discussion replays again, and again, and ag........... grin

That's a scary comparison ..... at the current time. (PP)

NellG Wed 24-Feb-21 09:51:10

Greeneyedgirl

There is no end, there will never be an end, opinions have no end but whilst it's contained here those who are driven mad by it can easily avoid it and those who still have an interest, and frankly enjoy a bit of gossip at other people's expense (which is perfectly normal human behaviour) can carry on yapping to their heart's content.

Some might even work out why they have a visceral dislike of M, and why they feel so maternal towards H - they may then be happy with their conclusions and step away from the discussion and be able to view H&M with passing interest should they want to.

Some may paint it every year, all year until it falls down. Or they get sued for libel, whichever comes first wink

Anniebach Wed 24-Feb-21 09:54:49

I certainly do not feel maternal towards Harry,

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 09:55:21

The maternal thing towards Harry is odd in my view. I feel as if some people see him as completely incapable of independent and thought and action.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 09:56:29

Random and in there. grin. I havent had enough coffee and I need to do sone work.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion