Gransnet forums

Chat

Megan and Harry again!

(1001 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 21-Feb-21 12:15:54

Can someone please enlighten me in letting me know what was wrong in Harry and meghan saying "service is universal"? Surely it is. We also like to help each other and provide a service to each other when we can, that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Isn't this what they meant? There's seems to be a lot of H & M bashing again over this, however, it's all gone quiet over Prince Andrew's alleged sexual relationship with an underage girl. Am I missing something?

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Feb-21 17:54:14

Good posts maddyone especially your point about protocols not being observed.

Anniebach Tue 23-Feb-21 17:57:10

Agree , good post Maddyone

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 18:17:26

she was frequently observed to ignore established protocols, such as walking ahead of Harry or other members of the royal family, when protocol dictates apparently that she should not do this.
I think your statement is far from being a load of old tosh maddyone. It is most perceptive.

Who let Meghan down then on the rules? Surely as a newcomer she must have had plenty of advice about
the official procedure on diplomatic occasions. I remember once or twice Harry dropped his hand away from her or muttered things (on the balcony) to keep her quiet. Yet she still persisted in grabbing hold of him. As she is such a quick, intelligent learner in other areas how come she wasn't able to get up to speed as easily on royal protocol?

maddyone Tue 23-Feb-21 18:19:40

JaneJudge
I think you misunderstood what I said. I compared the pregnancy announcement photograph to a celebrity type photo that we would expect to see in a magazine. However it is important to note that this particular photograph was not in a magazine, it was released in order to announce that Meghan is pregnant. It’s an unusual way to announce a pregnancy, even amongst celebrities. I’m sure you’re right Jane that Meghan and Harry will get income in the future from magazines (tacky, but it’s just my opinion) but this photo was not released to be in a magazine. There is a difference.

maddyone Tue 23-Feb-21 18:39:56

Ellianne
I don’t believe Meghan was incapable of learning how to behave as protocol dictated, and it would be totally unreasonable to think she wasn’t given any advice about those protocols, and so I can only conclude that she ignored that advice.

eazybee Tue 23-Feb-21 18:55:00

I admit to sneaking a look at the spotify photograh, with M, dressed up as the lemon tree fairy in a £2,000 dress which of course she can now 'borrow' and advertise, no longer being royal, carefully posed to gaze adoringly at H, who is apparently assuming the dominant role in the interview, according to the interviewer. So she can listen to comments.

To me, H looks increasingly fraught; he must be concerned about his grandfather, and the effect his actions are having on his immediate family, conflicting with his happiness at the pregnancy. Stupid boy. He should pull out of the interview now.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 19:18:30

Ellianne not the dog poo, talking poo is perfectly fine apparently. It was more in connection with goat poo, the kind found under bridges where nasty nordic creatures lurk. If you get my drift, if not just assume I hit the gin early wink

Rosie51 Tue 23-Feb-21 19:25:23

NellG grin and Rosie pats herself on the back because she got it!

Smileless2012 Tue 23-Feb-21 19:27:11

I got it toogrin

lemsip Tue 23-Feb-21 20:10:53

the only interest in this couple is Harry, there would be no interest from any quarter including Oprah if there was no Harry, a Prince no less!

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 20:21:53

Ah, but there lemsip they are going to run into trouble. How can he remain as the kingpin in all this when he is no longer in the fold performing royal duties? What can he find to do with the same panache? As his status wanes, unless he finds something really amazing to do, so will his popularity. I can't see where he goes from here on a fulfilling personal level, other than to be Meghan's puppet. I'm starting to feel worried for him.

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 20:24:10

But it depends what you see as fulfilling doesnt it. I wouldnt find the life of a royal fulfilling at all, perhaps Harry found the same. We just dont know.

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 20:31:23

True, Galaxy, I guess at least Harry is young enough to carve out a new niche for himself. We will see. Meghan is the one with drive and ambition.

JaneJudge Tue 23-Feb-21 20:31:50

They have an amazing amount of privilege and money, I am sure they will be fine, all of them always will be.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 20:32:51

lemsip

the only interest in this couple is Harry, there would be no interest from any quarter including Oprah if there was no Harry, a Prince no less!

If this is true, it's pretty horrifying to think that a young woman would exploit her husbands status just to platform her views and agenda - no matter how noble it appears to be.

The general consensus has always been that true altruism doesn't exist, but given that most people of that level of wealth and status are extremely discreet regarding their good works and charity donations M&H paint a pretty confusing picture.

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 20:37:13

I think we all put all sorts of ideas on to the royals, even if we arent particularly interested in them. I do view it as a live soap opera which isnt really a very nice thought to have about real people. I was about to say that Harry has never seemed that comfortable in his role long before Meghan, but realised I dont really know that it's just what I imagine.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 20:53:04

Galaxy

I think we all put all sorts of ideas on to the royals, even if we arent particularly interested in them. I do view it as a live soap opera which isnt really a very nice thought to have about real people. I was about to say that Harry has never seemed that comfortable in his role long before Meghan, but realised I dont really know that it's just what I imagine.

I'm not sure you or anyone else should feel too badly about imagining what might be going on with people in the public eye.

If we didn't have an interest and talk about it there would be no celebrity magazines, no reality TV ( not sure that would be a great loss tbh...), no Instagram, or Tik Tok, no Channel 5, no documentaries about people, no biographies or autobiographies etc. etc.

There's nothing wrong in making the observation that H seemed unhappy in his role, you're stating your impression of something.

donna1964 Tue 23-Feb-21 20:56:18

I think all what is going on is led by Megan...I wasn't keen on her from the beginning.
As for Harry people forget the Government & Royal Family made him as a young boy walk through the streets of London behind his Mothers Coffin for media sake. He then went and served for his Country on the front line in Afganistan. He created the Invictus Games because the Government and Media ignored the injured war heroes. He has raised millions of pounds for Charities and highlighted the importance of Mental Health Support. He now wants to protect his wife & children from what his Mother had to deal with. I believe his wife is the driving force for all thats going on...I believe she wears the pants at the minute...but all may change in the future when he finds his feet in the world. He has been protected for so long and not lived in the real world and this is as real as it gets for him now.. we all make mistakes...I hope his mistakes can be forgiven in the future as he has to live with them.

tickingbird Tue 23-Feb-21 20:59:26

Makes me wonder if their support is because they really are invested in Meghan as a wonderful ambassador of modern womanhood and a woman they admire, or whether she's just a convenient stick with which to beat a monarchy that they despise. Kind of makes a mockery of the virtue signalling doesn't it? wink

My thoughts exactly NellG I have often wondered why the RF haters invest so much in the Meghan threads and I concur with you - it’s just another weapon with which to beat the RF and their supporters.

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 21:02:03

To be fair I wasnt beating myself up too much about it grin

trisher Tue 23-Feb-21 21:26:43

tickingbird

*Makes me wonder if their support is because they really are invested in Meghan as a wonderful ambassador of modern womanhood and a woman they admire, or whether she's just a convenient stick with which to beat a monarchy that they despise. Kind of makes a mockery of the virtue signalling doesn't it? wink*

My thoughts exactly NellG I have often wondered why the RF haters invest so much in the Meghan threads and I concur with you - it’s just another weapon with which to beat the RF and their supporters.

Actually I don't "hate" the RF. I consider the monarchy an outdated anachronism.
As for why I post things in support of Meghan and Harry. I don't like to see threads where people pile in with their criticisms and condemnation. I always support the under dog. Oh and some of collective disapproval on these threads reminds me of how some girls at school were treated by gangs of bullies.

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 21:32:53

I dont hate the rf either, I would prefer a different structure but I dont feel particularly strongly. I find the words used about Meghan really odd and like something from another age to be honest which is why I respond. I dont have any strong feelings for Meghan either way. I think there is some sense from the threads about how people think women should be and its not really a perception of women that I agree with.

Anniebach Tue 23-Feb-21 21:34:53

trisher will you explain why you claimed Katherine Kent left
the royal family yet it wasn’t true. Why did you use her grief to attack the royal family, we rarely agree but I didn’t expect you to post what wasn’t true.

And would you lie to support the underdog ?

Galaxy Tue 23-Feb-21 21:36:12

Sorry my last sentence sounds very odd. To try to be clearer and I am not having a go at the posters who used these phrases, but wears the trousers, or needs to be quieter are just phrases that are so far from my view of women that its hard to describe.

NellG Tue 23-Feb-21 21:40:56

Galaxy

To be fair I wasnt beating myself up too much about it grin

Didn't think you were for a minute, but thought it was worth supporting and defending your right to an opinion on the subject. See, I'm not all bad wink

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion