Gransnet forums

Chat

Megan and Harry again!

(1001 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 21-Feb-21 12:15:54

Can someone please enlighten me in letting me know what was wrong in Harry and meghan saying "service is universal"? Surely it is. We also like to help each other and provide a service to each other when we can, that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Isn't this what they meant? There's seems to be a lot of H & M bashing again over this, however, it's all gone quiet over Prince Andrew's alleged sexual relationship with an underage girl. Am I missing something?

Iam64 Sun 21-Feb-21 14:03:52

Grammareto ?????

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 14:15:40

Diana, Charles and Andrew all made a huge faux pas with their interviews, but as far as I am aware they were not paid for them.
M & H are peddling his royal connections for money and that is what disgusts me about them.
Their response to the Queen's statement was rude and ill-judged; she above all people does not need reminding what duty is, by a pair of free-loaders.

rafichagran Sun 21-Feb-21 14:16:04

I wish them well too. I am just finding the whole thing with the Royal Family tedious now.

hollysteers Sun 21-Feb-21 14:25:54

The army is the best thing that happened to Harry, not Meghan and now that’s gone. I’m sure he regrets that, it gave him a real sense of self worth.
The fuss over Prince Andrew is ridiculous, a complete storm in a teacup.
I’m a republican, but enjoy this soap opera I financially support.

RulaNula Sun 21-Feb-21 14:31:36

I shall say this only once

The Queen. The Monarchy. They serve us.

Not everyone agrees but that's about it

H&M are wanting to serve themselves. Which is fine. But they are serving themselves by using the Royal Brand which is a great platform

I have very little interest in the Royals. I am more than happy with the Queen and Philip, I like Charles and Camilla, ( they have Jack Russells) and I also like William and his family.

And that's it.

I would like the rest of them to disappear

Oh no ... Princess Anne ... I do like her. She can stay as well.

Galaxy Sun 21-Feb-21 14:35:15

The thought of people serving me makes me feel ill.

25Avalon Sun 21-Feb-21 14:40:39

What is going to be said in this interview with Oprah Winfrey? I understand Meghan is talking on her own first. I hope it isn’t to run this country down and accuse us of being racist. I think we were on the whole very welcoming but the way the RF run here obviously didn’t suit her life style which is very different.

Smileless2012 Sun 21-Feb-21 14:57:06

I agree RulaNula the only ones they're serving are themselves.

twinnytwin Sun 21-Feb-21 15:21:05

What on earth is Meghan going to talk about for 90 minutes to Oprah with Harry popping in? Even for the staunchist supporters of M&H, that's a long time to keep interest going, especially as probably most Americans have zero interest in the wife of a minor member of the British Royal Family, even if they were Suits fans.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 15:29:40

twinnytwin I'm rather hoping they're going to walk around their 17 bed mansion with pool for 90 minutes showing us what they've done to the place!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:37:43

Perhaps Royal Service isn’t interspersed with millions of pounds deals from Netflix etc as you have to be available for Royal work before other interests. I also read their reply as a sharp retort which appears to say we will be doing our own thing so our support for their charities will be done in a less formal fashion.

tinaf1 Sun 21-Feb-21 15:38:19

I also wish we didn’t have to hear any more about Meghan and Harry but we probably will
I also hope all goes well with the baby no one would or should wish anything else
But to reply to the queen with advise about service well one phrase comes to mind “don’t teach yer granny to suck eggs”?

sodapop Sun 21-Feb-21 15:52:16

eazybee

Diana, Charles and Andrew all made a huge faux pas with their interviews, but as far as I am aware they were not paid for them.
M & H are peddling his royal connections for money and that is what disgusts me about them.
Their response to the Queen's statement was rude and ill-judged; she above all people does not need reminding what duty is, by a pair of free-loaders.

I agree totally with eazybees last paragraph.

25Avalon Sun 21-Feb-21 15:55:21

sodapop

eazybee

I agree totally with eazybees last paragraph.

And me.

Bagatelle Sun 21-Feb-21 16:10:18

I fear seeing Britain dragged into America's worldwide politics. If Meghan wants to do American politics, and Harry has made his choice between his wife and his heritage, then I think they should renounce all of their titles as well as Harry's place as sixth in line to the throne.

If they think they can do it on their own merit, and don't need the Royal connection, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 16:33:41

I think the speculation about Meghan's participation in politics shows up the difference between American and British politics.
Anyone entering politics here would have to spend time stuffing envelopes and going on the stump, serving on minor local committees, working as an intern for serving politicians and generally learning the business from the bottom up for several years before they were even put before the nomination committee. I can't think of many celebrities who have entered politics cold; not sure about Glenda Jackson.
In America it seems you can buy your way in, hence DT.
I may be wrong.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 16:37:11

I've just finished the biography of Princess Mary, the Princess Royal. I'd never quite known who she was or where she fitted in to the Royal family. She was the only daughter of George V and Queen Mary. What a life she had. She puts modern royals to shame. She worked tirelessly for years providing all sorts of support to many, many organisations and especially promoting educational opportunities for women plus a host of other special interests. She trained as a VAD then carried on focusing on hospitals and care of children. It was stunning how much she did. She travelled widely to various countries including some at the time of their independence to represent the King, then Queen. She took up the slack when George V1 was so ill and for the Queen when she was pregnant. Up to 37 engagements a week, each with a special speech plus personal thank you letters afterwards to everyone concerned. She wasn't glamorous just had a really serious attitude to genuine service. It was written of her that she only had one standard - the highest.
I'm sure the Queen will be remembering her and the example she set as she considers Harry and Megan.

Aveline Sun 21-Feb-21 16:38:48

PS it wasn't a very exciting book but she was just a straight forward hard working woman for whom duty and family came first.

luluaugust Sun 21-Feb-21 16:50:18

I also enjoyed that book Aveline. I feel Harry has one story to tell and when he has told it to Oprah and a few other people, what does he do then? It is so sad as the two of them could have done a lot of good here. Unless somehow Prince Andrew does agree to answer questions and is involved in a trial he will eventually become a footnote in history.

AmberSpyglass Sun 21-Feb-21 16:51:37

The notion that the Queen serves the British public is laughable. We’d do perfectly well without some old woman with a large hat collection and a smile that never meets her eyes accepting flowers from people who earn less in a lifetime than she has access to in a year.

People who run or work for charities, healthcare professionals, teachers, lawyers representing people who should qualify for Legal Aid but don’t, cleaners, binmen, the baristas who don’t have to hand over your coffee with a smile and a joke put out in the emotional labour to make you feel like you’re not the hundredth customer they’ve served that day.

That’s service. Not smiling and waving.

Smileless2012 Sun 21-Feb-21 16:57:25

I agree AmberSpyglass but the Queen does a lot more than "smiling and waving". If that was all that royal duties entailed, I'm sure H & M would have managed too.

timetogo2016 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:03:28

I wonder what would be in the papers if it weren`t for PA and H n M.
I`m sick of seing them in the papers tbh.
I think M is playing a very good game and winning atm.

AmberSpyglass Sun 21-Feb-21 17:05:06

Smileless I think we’ll agree to disagree on her usefulness then.

The sooner we get rid of this parasitic institution, the better. I’m quite happy to have the rest of them bigger off to America!

Judy54 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:21:49

Oh well that's an improvement AmberSpyglass on another thread you referred to the Royal Family as loathsome parasites now they are just parasites or a parasitic institution to use your words. You must be mellowing!

janeainsworth Sun 21-Feb-21 17:44:07

eazybee I can't think of many celebrities who have entered politics cold; not sure about Glenda Jackson
Glenda Jackson was the Labour MP for Hampstead & Highgate for 18 years & then Hampstead & Kilburn for 5 years.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion