Gransnet forums

Chat

Megan and Harry again!

(1001 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 21-Feb-21 12:15:54

Can someone please enlighten me in letting me know what was wrong in Harry and meghan saying "service is universal"? Surely it is. We also like to help each other and provide a service to each other when we can, that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Isn't this what they meant? There's seems to be a lot of H & M bashing again over this, however, it's all gone quiet over Prince Andrew's alleged sexual relationship with an underage girl. Am I missing something?

Grandmafrench Sun 21-Feb-21 17:48:37

AmberSpyglass

The notion that the Queen serves the British public is laughable. We’d do perfectly well without some old woman with a large hat collection and a smile that never meets her eyes accepting flowers from people who earn less in a lifetime than she has access to in a year.

People who run or work for charities, healthcare professionals, teachers, lawyers representing people who should qualify for Legal Aid but don’t, cleaners, binmen, the baristas who don’t have to hand over your coffee with a smile and a joke put out in the emotional labour to make you feel like you’re not the hundredth customer they’ve served that day.

That’s service. Not smiling and waving.

Well the notion that anyone these days, let alone an old woman with lots of hats, would be happy to sign up these days for 74 years and counting of public service is certainly laughable. Absolutely no one these days would be prepared to hand their life over to have it micromanaged, inspected, supervised, organised, on a daily basis year in, year out with very little chance of changing that life or the way they lead it.

How many baristas, binmen, healthcare professionals etc., do the same job for 74 plus years and manage a smile? How many have that level of dedication and discipline?

Service as the Queen or a member of the Royal Family is not exactly like working in Starbucks. It is something unique, long lasting and is not carried out for personal profit. People are so obsessed with money and 'what's in it for me' and 'why do they have things that I don't', that they simply cannot spot an historic institution which has to be different from everything else. It was ever thus. So, whether you think the Royal Family should be thinned out, abolished, or whatever, at least try to see their position throughout history. What they don't do is marry a rich bloke, snag a lot of posh frocks and expensive property, think they are more important than the job they've signed up for and very very quickly swan off to foreign parts to hustle for loads more money and endless time off. Writing notes on bananas, promoting the odd charity, insinuating yourself into other people's Zoom meetings, lecturing and preaching about the planet whilst obviously wasting valuable resources on a daily basis is not about service of any kind - and certainly not public service. It smacks more of self service, I feel. And any old woman with a lot of hats would easily see that.

LullyDully Sun 21-Feb-21 17:54:01

I don't think many of us could have coped with life as a member of the royal family. Megan must have been a bit naive to commit to the life....or maybe not. (She doesn't seem like much of a shrinking violet.)

Good luck to them both in their new life , but can we not hear any more about them now please.

I do feel that when the Queen goes, there will be a radical change anyway. She is more respected than many of the others. The days of reverence may be over , leaving respect which should be earned.

Judy54 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:00:03

Well said Grandmafrench. How many of us would have been prepared to work for 74 years and give that level of commitment. How sad that many cannot recognise this.

AmberSpyglass Sun 21-Feb-21 18:07:08

“Work”. Oh, please. At least Megan had a job.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 18:09:35

I had forgotten the messages on bananas, what I cannot forget
is the visit to S.A. meeting women living in poverty and fear followed by the tv interview- when I was pregnant no one asked if I was ok.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 18:12:58

What on earth is Meghan going to talk about for 90 minutes?

Answer: MEGHAN.

NellG Sun 21-Feb-21 18:15:19

Grandmafrench I salute you. Well said. I'm not much of a monarchist but I'd have been hard pressed to get to my age without at least learning to respect the Queen and the life she was made to accept. She has done it with enormous dignity, grace and self sacrifice. Some people just see the privilege, they can't see the duty. I can certainly respect the woman if not the institution.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 18:16:55

Understandable, she will be talking about the most important
subject to her, herself .

Iam64 Sun 21-Feb-21 18:21:48

eazybee

I think the speculation about Meghan's participation in politics shows up the difference between American and British politics.
Anyone entering politics here would have to spend time stuffing envelopes and going on the stump, serving on minor local committees, working as an intern for serving politicians and generally learning the business from the bottom up for several years before they were even put before the nomination committee. I can't think of many celebrities who have entered politics cold; not sure about Glenda Jackson.
In America it seems you can buy your way in, hence DT.
I may be wrong.

Do you seriously believe that Mr Johnson or Reece Mogadishu spent years ‘learning the business from the bottom up’?

Kamiso Sun 21-Feb-21 18:34:18

Calendargirl

^What on earth is Meghan going to talk about for 90 minutes?^

Answer: MEGHAN.

Spot on! I can think of better ways to spend 90 minutes of my life.

At least she makes every other daughter in law look saintly in comparison.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 18:52:54

Yet after spending Christmas at Sandringham she said the royals were the family she never had

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 18:57:02

Yes Iam64, they most certainly did, years and years. I don't know who Reece Mogadishu is.
If you are part of a political party you will see the work, mundane and boring, that goes on behind the scenes and who does it.
Amber Spyglass Yes . Work. One of the most difficult parts of her job must be being polite to all the unpleasant people she has to meet, and she usually charms them.

Calendargirl Sun 21-Feb-21 19:01:16

Anniebach

Yet after spending Christmas at Sandringham she said the royals were the family she never had

I think it was Harry who said that actually Annie.

Big mistake, he should have kept his mouth shut on that score.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 19:03:31

Yes Calendergirl Harry said it but surely was quoting her.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 20:26:41

lecturing and preaching about the planet whilst obviously wasting valuable resources on a daily basis is not about service of any kind
Interestingly Oprah flew by private jet from Hawaii to California for 2 days to do the interview with the Sussexs.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 20:32:30

Ellianne such hypocrisy , why can’t Harry see this , it’s sad

lemsip Sun 21-Feb-21 20:36:50

this is oprah's time to pay for that wedding invitation.

paddyanne Sun 21-Feb-21 20:38:29

"Service as the Queen or a member of the Royal Family is not exactly like working in Starbucks. It is something unique, long lasting and is not carried out for personal profit. People are so obsessed with money and 'what's in it for me"

So thats why they ONLY cost us £345 million PLUS a year when she could be getting SO much more...oh wait she does we just tend not to hear about it.Parasites one and all .

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 20:57:09

Hadn’t thought of that lemsip

tickingbird Sun 21-Feb-21 21:07:51

Meghan worked? She was a second rate actress on a tv show with a large entourage, who came to the UK on the hunt for a husband and landed a prize catch and a title. She didn’t want the boring meet and greets, the banal conversations and having to feign interest in Betty from Hull. That’s what the Queen’s been doing for years. Anyone that doesn’t class that as work is deluded. I wouldn’t want it and as for the money there are plenty with more money than the Queen. Meghan and Harry aren’t doing anything for free.

Galaxy Sun 21-Feb-21 21:15:08

So you wouldnt want it but apparently it's bad that Meghan doesnt want it.

Anniebach Sun 21-Feb-21 21:15:47

Thinking of having to meet, greet, smile, wave, listen , no matter with whom or where.

Lucca Sun 21-Feb-21 21:34:31

tickingbird

Meghan worked? She was a second rate actress on a tv show with a large entourage, who came to the UK on the hunt for a husband and landed a prize catch and a title. She didn’t want the boring meet and greets, the banal conversations and having to feign interest in Betty from Hull. That’s what the Queen’s been doing for years. Anyone that doesn’t class that as work is deluded. I wouldn’t want it and as for the money there are plenty with more money than the Queen. Meghan and Harry aren’t doing anything for free.

Why second rate actress ? Just out of interest? I watched a series of Suits, she was perfectly competent as I remember.

Did she come to England to look for a rich husband ? Did she tell you that ?
I thought they met in the States(that’s just a guess I can’t remember but there are royal experts on here who could confirm or deny)

Lucca Sun 21-Feb-21 21:35:36

Just checked. I’m wrong , they met in london. But the rest of my post stands.

lemsip Sun 21-Feb-21 21:54:26

second rate actress because suits is not a 'top of the range' first class show.. Also she was unknown on the Hollywood circuit. she was once on a tv show as a hostess. Cutting her teeth in show business.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion