Gransnet forums

Chat

Megan and Harry again!

(1001 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 21-Feb-21 12:15:54

Can someone please enlighten me in letting me know what was wrong in Harry and meghan saying "service is universal"? Surely it is. We also like to help each other and provide a service to each other when we can, that's what I'd like to believe anyway. Isn't this what they meant? There's seems to be a lot of H & M bashing again over this, however, it's all gone quiet over Prince Andrew's alleged sexual relationship with an underage girl. Am I missing something?

Anniebach Sat 27-Feb-21 21:15:41

Yes Bridgeit because there was an exchange of posts re Katherine Kent

NellG Sat 27-Feb-21 21:16:26

Bridgeit That's who Annie and Sarah were talking about as having been involved with the Samaritans.

Bridgeit Sat 27-Feb-21 21:18:11

The Duke & Duchess of Kent are in their 80s or more

Anniebach Sat 27-Feb-21 21:26:23

Yes they are

tickingbird Sat 27-Feb-21 21:39:51

NellG There’s a lot of schoolyard ‘proof it’ type stuff that goes on here. I was accused if being ill mannered on some thread for not providing links when demanded. Like you, if I don’t believe something I go and try and find evidence of such myself. It’s mostly just used as a way of dismissing posts they don’t agree with.

Bridgeit Sat 27-Feb-21 21:53:16

Clarification . Asking for a clarification of a statement is not the same as a schoolchild call of ‘ Prove It , however it is very childish to suggest that it is.

Ellianne Sat 27-Feb-21 21:53:56

I think the "prove it" type comments resemble those of teachers marking essays. They like to know where the information has come from, which is understandable.

NellG Sat 27-Feb-21 22:55:53

Bridgeit

Clarification . Asking for a clarification of a statement is not the same as a schoolchild call of ‘ Prove It , however it is very childish to suggest that it is.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for clarification at all, but some of the posts do get a bit hectoring and it makes quite uncomfortable reading. It's hard to read tone sometimes, and consequently difficult to know how the mood of the discussion will go. Too many good threads fall foul of being derailed.

I just feel that if the threads were less cranky sometimes more people would feel confident to post and we'd have greater richness of opinion.

overthehill Sat 27-Feb-21 23:19:50

A journalist I heard said the thing about Harry, is he always says something interesting so the hacks will follow it up. The rest of the RFs keep their mouths shut

lemsip Sun 28-Feb-21 05:41:19

decorum is the way the rf behave. Also 'Never complain never explain)

when harry speaks it is megs words that come out. He has lost himself.

Nezumi65 Sun 28-Feb-21 06:58:00

Just read this - a list of the crap Meghan has had to put up with. No wonder given Diana’s experience with the press and Harry’s attitude towards them they left.

I agree with the journalist. Most of the nonsense fired at Meghan is deeply sexist with a touch of racism & classism thrown in. How dare a woman have an opinion? Especially a biracial American. She doesn’t know her place. hmm apple.news/AoMoblGRfSfaNCWD4uwCBSA

lemsip Sun 28-Feb-21 07:41:19

Nezum65. what did you expect from a site with meghan's photo heading it?

lemsip Sun 28-Feb-21 07:45:24

Royal photographer Arthur Edwards, Speaking about Prince Harry’s interview in which he says he stepped back, not down from the Royal family and spoke of a ‘toxic’ atmosphere from the British press, Royal photographer Arthur Edwards said: “It does surprise me. I don’t know where the ‘toxic’ has come from because when I worked with him all those years here, he engaged with the media. We used to have a drink. On every tour we used to go to a pub and he’d get everything off his chest and you’d get everything off your chest. It’s only when he met Meghan that stopped. He never interacted with us again. We asked several times to meet Meghan but it never happened.

Anniebach Sun 28-Feb-21 08:30:34

Gosh , someone called Katie Perry preferred Kate’s wedding dress to Megan’s , how cruel.

What rubbish.

Galaxy Sun 28-Feb-21 08:33:46

To be honest I am not sure what you are describing is someone getting on with the press lemsip even in his own words. Hed get everything off his chest is an interesting phrase.

Ellianne Sun 28-Feb-21 08:39:55

That list of whinges and whines is hilarious. Really scraping the barrel in some places.

Anniebach Sun 28-Feb-21 08:50:56

His constant banging on about his mothers death , it didn’t happen in this country , she played games with the paps, the
British press adored her. She played the media and he and his wife are doing the same.

Megan is playing with his mind .

Nezumi65 Sun 28-Feb-21 09:17:30

I do find most of the comments relating to Meghan misogynistic bullshit though - and very much of narrative that she is getting ahead of herself as a female, American & with a non-typical (for a member of the RF) family. If you don’t notice that then fine. But I can see why she couldn’t tolerate it.

Nezumi65 Sun 28-Feb-21 09:18:16

“His constant banging on about his mothers death”

Seriously? Bloody hell.

Nezumi65 Sun 28-Feb-21 09:22:29

A reminder that Harry was twelve when his mother died. Many 12 year olds who lose their mothers struggle and it does become a defining feature of their life. And Diana had significant mental health problems including a very difficult eating disorder.

If you genuinely cannot see the trauma the family has been through then you must be purposefully looking the other way.

Ellianne Sun 28-Feb-21 09:29:47

Nezumi I can see how she couldn't tolerate the racist comments, (though even they were less prolific after the start), or even criticism of her relationship with her father. But being criticised for wearing red nail varnish or eating avocado on toast are hardly things for her to get that upset over.

Anniebach Sun 28-Feb-21 09:31:32

I am quite aware of the trauma of the death of a parent and the trauma doesn’t affect only 12 year olds.

My daughters were 5 and 7 when their father died, his car was rammed by drug dealers and his body lay on the road all night
before he was found. 42 years ago today.

I have 3 grandchildren coming to terms with their mothers death .

Do not lecture me on childrens grief .

Ellianne Sun 28-Feb-21 09:33:59

I think part of the problem is the Sussexes find too many things to complain about. They seem to pile it on grievance after grievance. A bit like the boy who cried wolf, people start to take no notice or start to ridicule. The press love the latter.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Feb-21 09:34:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anniebach Sun 28-Feb-21 09:37:18

The person who damaged Harry was his mother , the press laid all the blame on his father.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion