Gransnet forums

Chat

I am a reader but my family aren't

(137 Posts)
polomint Wed 24-Feb-21 11:08:53

I love reading, books, magazines even sauce bottles! My children dont read and neither do my grandchildren and they are now adults. They have had plenty of opportunities as there have always been books about and my nose is usually in one. My parents were great readers. My husband reads but not a great deal. I think they are missing so much enjoyment and learning things about life etc. Is reading not popular now due to internet? Yet waterstones are busy, amazon sells books. Granted libraries are closing. Are you reading more than usual due to lockdown or dont you read?

Humbertbear Wed 24-Feb-21 13:42:21

Don’t understand people who don’t read. We have friends who haven’t read one book in lockdown but my grown up children read and my grandchildren sometimes have three books on the go - a physical one, audible and kindle. They have very restricted access to technology called Device Time, when they play games. I used to be called The Book Grandma because I bought them so many books mostly from Amazon, new and used. Apart from the one couple mentioned, all my friends read and recommending and swapping books is part of our relationship. Reading on the iPad has been a wonderful revelation because I could never take enough books away with me on holiday. I can’t remember a time when I couldn’t read. I don’t think it mattered what sort of books you read as long as you read.

Bridgeit Wed 24-Feb-21 13:59:32

I’m another bookworm, although a little more selective regarding the topic/ storyline.

Gwyneth Wed 24-Feb-21 14:08:21

If I don’t have a book to read I have serious withdrawal symptoms! Have always been a great reader from a child and spent all my pocket money on books. My grown up children are avid readers too.

Shinamae Wed 24-Feb-21 14:09:42

I absolutely love to read and have done since I learned to read as a small child... I really like James Herbert and Martina Cole and biographies and autobiographies, all on my kindle now as I was getting so many books and I had to give them to the charity shop that’s a few years ago now... my adult children I don’t think tend to read a lot(especially my sons) but then they have all the technology play stations et cetera that were not available when I was their age, who’s to say I would not of been a PlayStation addict had it been available....?

25Avalon Wed 24-Feb-21 16:26:04

I have always loved reading. Standing joke was I would read the cornflakes packet if I had nothing else to read! I read every night for half hour when I go to bed and have been glad of my kindle during lockdown so I guess I have been reading the same amount.

Cathymac Wed 24-Feb-21 18:24:08

I am reading more due to Lockdown... both Kindle and books which I exchange with a friend. My grandchildren, ages 6 and 8 love reading and have been missing going to the library. Hope it opens soon .

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 18:26:57

My boys don't read.
It's boring, they say.
Such a shame because they were both avid readers until their teens.

M0nica Wed 24-Feb-21 18:51:54

Our whole family are bookaholics from 10 year old grandson upwards. He is currently reading Lord of the Rings.

As a child it was said of me that I would read the back of a bus ticket, and family do not allow any printed matter to be in sight when they talk to me as they know my eyes will automatically go to it

It doesn't matter which member of the family's house you go to, it has books and bookshelves everywhere.

DGD is nearly 14 and her love of books is still there.

PaperMonster Wed 24-Feb-21 18:59:47

When I was little, I was the reader. I had all the books - although nowhere near as many as my child has now!!

I never saw my parents read until they were in their 60s!!!

Sara1954 Wed 24-Feb-21 19:12:19

There were a few books in our house , mainly Readers Digest, my dad liked to read, but our family budget didn’t stretch to books, I went to the library, and spent all of my pocket money on books.

I had a very encouraging English teacher who introduced me to lots of writers, he gave us a reading list in our first week at school, I think I was probably the only one who tried to work my way through it.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 19:14:56

I always spent every Saturday at the library.
It was such a treat. smile

Kupari45 Wed 24-Feb-21 19:38:13

I have always enjoyed reading. Joined the library when I was eight years old, and never looked back.
Obviously cant get to library just now, but seeing as I haven't spent much in shops recently I have been keeping myself going with books from Amazon. Must admit there is something special about opening a new book , no one has read.
I've just discovered books by Fiona Valpy, so my bedside light hasnt been switched off before mid-night. Terrific stories.

hicaz46 Thu 25-Feb-21 10:40:31

I have read a bit more during lockdown. I read newspapers, magazines and books, but all have to be printed. I cannot read anything longer than a page, online. I have ordered numerous books from online retailers and can’t wait for charity shops to reopen to add to my source of books. I swap books with friends and neighbours and have at least a dozen books waiting to be read.

Moggycuddler Thu 25-Feb-21 10:59:08

I have always had a book "on the go" since I was at school. These days I use Audible mostly, because it's so relaxing and the books are usually narrated so well that it adds another whole dimension to the stories. (Also I have a neck problem that is aggravated by reading an actual book.) DH always has a book on the go too. We both enjoy both fiction and non fiction (though our tastes differ sometimes.) I do feel that non-readers miss out on something good.

frenchie3 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:03:36

I am at my happiest, when I have a book in my hands. Owing to Covid, getting through books at a great pace. Husband not a good reader, but daughter No.1 is following in my footsteps.

readalot Thu 25-Feb-21 11:05:18

I love to read, I always have done. About eleven years ago my husband bought me my first kindle. I am now on my fourth which is the oasis which I bought just to read on. When I first got it I didn't think I would get away with it because I liked a physical book. I have never looked back and I love it. It's especially good because you can alter the font size which makes it easier to read. If I couldn't read I'd be lost. My husband likes to listen to Audible books which I can't get away with. My grandson who is eighteen now used to like reading when he was a child but doesn't now.

grannygranby Thu 25-Feb-21 11:05:46

yes my son has just bought me a smart speaker echo dot and I can just ask Alexa to read my current audible book (Karl Ova Knausgaard..my struggle - fantastic but 6 books all about 500 pages each is a long haul to physically read so I do both...o kindle and audible.) basically try to get them listening to books?...because the vicarious lives you lead and learn from through literature and other writing is invaluable and our greatest asset....so vast. It is since writing was invented (a mere 5000 years ago) that our species has advanced so much. They are missing out as you say by not reading but technology can help bridge that gap.

Nannina Thu 25-Feb-21 11:06:30

My dad was a reader as am I. Neither of my sons were particularly fond of fiction but, as adults, they are both avid readers of fact relating to their interests and hobbies

Maggiemaybe Thu 25-Feb-21 11:08:24

I’m never without at least one book on the go. Currently one “proper" book (a Val McDermid), one e-book download from the library in case I wake up in the night (Olive, Again), one audio-book, also from the library to keep me company when I’m doing jobs around the house (Conversations with Friends). I don’t read magazines and just skim the newspapers, which we buy for DH. He devours them from cover to cover, but only reads books on holiday (Howard Hughes’ autobiography just lived in the case for a couple of years, ready to go).

I don’t feel he’s missing out, any more than he thinks I’m missing out by hating gardening, which takes up so many of his hours. We’re all different, thank goodness. smile

timetogo2016 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:10:23

I have one book up-stairs and one down.
My one son reads the other doesn`t,both dil`s read.
And all four of the G/children read.
Dh on occasions eg holiday.

BelindaB Thu 25-Feb-21 11:10:35

Reading is main hobby and I have a VAST collection of books, which are carefully entered on my spread sheet! I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's the only way I can make sure I don't keeping buying books again and again!

Also a nut for the library and the worse thing about this whole business has been the closure of my local libraries. The only thing that has kept me sane is that I've started re-reading my own books. One paperback was so old that the pages had faded!

Cannot abide Kindle. Bought one when I went to the States a few years ago but loathed it. Staring at a screen is no substitute for opening a new book. The smell of the paper and ink, the anticipation....

I could not befriend anyone who doesn't read from choice.

icanhandthemback Thu 25-Feb-21 11:12:16

I love reading and so does my daughter although I probably read a wider range of stuff than she does. Nowadays I sit on the computer reading material from all round the world and my husband watches tv. None of the men in our core family read. However, my eldest boy listens to podcasts and enriches his life that way. His Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome means that his eye muscles and ligaments can cause focus problems if he reads for long and cause a form of dyslexia where the words disappear from the page; not helpful when you are trying to study. He floundered through school because of it with none of his teachers believing him but once he came across pod casts, his knowledge took off.
My mother was an avid reader, reading anything she set eyes on, including my mail! It used to drive me mad. Even with her cognitive function failing her, she still loves to read and strangely enough, can relate the story to you even when she can't remember the names of her grandchildren.

SillyNanny321 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:12:21

Would not want to live without several books scattered around to read. Have 5 Series of books by some favourite authors that I re read at bedtime, for far too long! At least 2 non fiction & a couple of either SciFi or Fantasy for a quick read. All my working life was in Libraries so no wonder my spare room is called Mums Bookroom by DS & DGC!

henetha Thu 25-Feb-21 11:12:55

I'm an avid reader and have been a member of the Devon library service since I was 6. So 77 years now. I've done my best to encourage children and grandchildren to love reading, and some of them do.
I love real books, mainly from the library (which is sadly shut for the time being) but am so pleased to have a Kindle as well as it has proved invaluable throughout covid.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 25-Feb-21 11:13:57

Both myself and Mr Barmey love books. I come from a family of readers, I would read anything, cereal packets while having breakfast, labels on bottles, I just love reading. At the moment I have two books on the go, Ernest Bevan is one of them and I can dip in and out of it. Mr B tends to read non fiction but sometimes he will read something I have just finished reading. I have a kindle but don't use it as I just love the feel of a book. My children and gc are not readers I am sorry to say.