Gransnet forums

Chat

which singers do you think are over rated?

(208 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 24-Feb-21 11:33:51

Following on from the thread about actors - which singers do you think are over rated?

For me it has to be Sting - all his songs sound the same and he just sings the same words over and over again.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 15:48:12

I think being a good singer is about more than being able to reach notes.
I can't bear warbler like Mariah Carey et al.

I find it utterly souless and have to turn it off.
When one word ends up 6 syllables long... just awful.

Chestnut Wed 24-Feb-21 15:52:54

Casdon Adele had her first top 40 hit in 2009
And was given an MBE only 4 years later in 2013. Therefore I stand by my statement she is a newcomer and hasn't shown enough staying power to deserve an MBE.

Grandmabatty Wed 24-Feb-21 15:53:26

I never liked Lulu. Screamers and shouters like Whitney Houston and Sam Smith. Whitney ruined Dolly's song. Sam Smith is a shouter, not a singer. Bob Geldorf is not one I like either.

HurdyGurdy Wed 24-Feb-21 15:54:42

Screechny Houston. But I think I am in a minority here. She seems to be much lauded.

Casdon Wed 24-Feb-21 15:56:04

No Chestnut she isn’t - after 12 years, and so many hits she has proved herself - you could possibly have said in 2013 that although massively talented she had only been around for 4 years, but you can’t say that now. Her next album is eagerly awaited by millions.

HurdyGurdy Wed 24-Feb-21 15:56:19

Grandmabatty - I think we must have posted at the same time. I 100% agree with you in the way that Houston murdered I Will Always Love Hugh (I swear she sings Hugh and not You).

Dolly sings it with such emotion. Houston couldn't hold a candle to her.

threexnanny Wed 24-Feb-21 16:00:56

Can't agree about Bob Dylan - five minutes of listening to his groaning depression set to music and I'm ready to slash my wrists!

Kate1949 Wed 24-Feb-21 16:02:14

I love all these differing views. I don't like Madonna's voice or Whitney's but love Frank Sinatra's and Lulu's.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 16:03:26

Lulu. She makes me want to shout. sad

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 16:07:28

I love Nat King Cole's voice. (My phone wrote nat king coleslaw grin)

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Feb-21 16:08:27

Sarnia

Cheryl Cole and Victoria Beckham spring to mind. Neither of them can carry a tune in a bucket. Managed to make oodles of money out of it, though.

Neither of these are overrated because no-one actually does rate them. VB would be the first to admit that she isn't a good singer.

I'm firmly of the belief that Elton John is hugely overrated.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Feb-21 16:10:04

Likewise Madonna.
She is a dancer, performer and artist.

FannyCornforth Wed 24-Feb-21 16:10:58

Sorry - I meant that Madonna is aware that she doesn't have a great voice.

timetogo2016 Wed 24-Feb-21 16:11:20

Agree Grandmajet,i thought she sounded like Billy Connoly doing his pub singer act.
Also can`t stand Sam Smith,Nasal Kylie M,Maria C,99% of the Bgt/The Voice and the rest of the crap that comes from those shows, and Paul young is also nasal.
To name but a few.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 16:14:40

Lulu ugggg never liked her in the 60 s
I think Adele has a beautiful voice so can’t agree with you chestnut and seems to have been around for ever I really like Ed Sheerin, Sam smith and George Ezra for modern day singers and lovvvve Rag and bone man
Can’t understand Rap so none of those are for me
A lot of female singers seem to believe they have to really belt it out in a screamy shouty way I prefer it a bit more melodic
Funny little lady but I think Susan Boyle had a magnificent voice don’t seem to ever hear her now

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 17:49:39

youtu.be/YLar5jIa0Pk

grannylyn65 Wed 24-Feb-21 18:08:47

Pearl

hollysteers Wed 24-Feb-21 18:32:03

Katherine Jenkins, a very mediocre classical singer but her looks have propelled her to her present position.

MayBee70 Wed 24-Feb-21 18:35:57

MissAdventure

I think being a good singer is about more than being able to reach notes.
I can't bear warbler like Mariah Carey et al.

I find it utterly souless and have to turn it off.
When one word ends up 6 syllables long... just awful.

My first thought was Mariah Carey!

MayBee70 Wed 24-Feb-21 18:39:05

I used to love Hole. I remember someone once saying of Courtney Love, she's a lousy singer but a great vocalist. Probably sums up Dylan, too.

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 18:46:48

I tend to prefer great lyrics, sung in an earnest way, rather than a load of inconsequential (to me) dross. smile

MerylStreep Wed 24-Feb-21 18:58:15

I won't be having a funeral but friends and family will get together ( to talk about me?) and there they will play one of my favourite songs: Bob Dylan. Positively 4th Street.

Curlywhirly Wed 24-Feb-21 19:03:25

I too can't bear Kylie - her voice sounds like a cartoon character's. Also, don't like the female singers who shout instead of sing, infact I'm not keen on many female singers, much prefer to listen to males. Having said that, think Paul McCartney and Elton John are well past their best and need to call it a day ?

Sara1954 Wed 24-Feb-21 19:18:01

Lulu definitely, also Cilla Black, just awful.
I agree some of the old favourites have had it, especially the love of my life, Paul McCartney

MissAdventure Wed 24-Feb-21 19:19:07

Kylie. Nope.
I don't like songs with choruses of "la la la, la la la la la, la la la...."