Gransnet forums

Chat

which singers do you think are over rated?

(208 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 24-Feb-21 11:33:51

Following on from the thread about actors - which singers do you think are over rated?

For me it has to be Sting - all his songs sound the same and he just sings the same words over and over again.

Grandmabatty Fri 26-Feb-21 09:02:09

Misty34 the first record I bought was Black Night by Deep Purple! I love heavy rock.

catladyuk Fri 26-Feb-21 11:50:48

in no particular order!

van morrison o.h is a fan so i treated him to one of vans concerts a few years ago. after 45 minutes he went off for the interval and didn't return. the audience were understandably up in arms but we couldn't get any refunds. the support act was chris farlowe whom i have never liked but on this occasion had to admit that surprisingly he was very good

madonna
sam smith
emma bunton
lulu
lily allen
alfie boe
russell watson
michael ball
mccartney nowadays, fine when he was younger and could sing!
sting
cheryl
mariah carey
rihanna
beyonce
all warblers and screechers
rappers
kate bush

and the list goes on .................

MayBee70 Fri 26-Feb-21 12:33:51

I liked Van Morrison when he did stuff with the Chieftains. The Star of the County Down is one of my all time favourite songs. But the rest of his stuff is awful. Boring as hell.

Scottiebear Fri 26-Feb-21 12:54:20

Georgesgran. Agree about Paul Carrack. Seen him several times live and he doesn't disappoint. Fabulous voice.

tricia12 Fri 26-Feb-21 16:18:07

kathryn jenkins

hollysteers Fri 26-Feb-21 22:01:55

Very surprised that Joan Baez has turned up in this list. She had a lovely pure singing voice.
But as has been said here, we are all different ?

earnshaw Sat 27-Feb-21 19:28:55

Kylie , Taylor Swift, Rita Ora,how have they become millionaires ???

Blinko Sat 27-Feb-21 20:06:28

Can't stand Kate Bush. Nor David Bowie and my biggest dislike is reserved for Frank Sinatra. Who told him he could sing???

rubysong Sat 27-Feb-21 22:21:15

Madonna, very ordinary.

Gran16 Sat 27-Feb-21 23:14:51

Cant believe no one has mentioned Morrisey yet .. his voice is awful and so depressing.

Loved George Michael and Karen Carpenter.

My Dads favourite band was The Platters and I spent many hours with him near the end of his life listening to his CD. He had alzheimers but he could still sing along with them even though his memory was shot to pieces. The music had a real calming effect on him and I love it now too

NotAGran55 Sun 28-Feb-21 07:30:43

Elvis . I will never understand the appeal as long as I live .

effalump Sun 28-Feb-21 12:41:53

I agree. I hate shouty singers using 'vocal gymnastics'. Once in a while is fine, but most of them seem to think the more they do it the better they sound. 'Fraid not. Most of them will need surgery on their vocal chords by the time they're 40. I'm showing my age here but Frank Sinatra, Dolly Parton, Cillla, Robbie Williams? Far more listenable than today's singers, most of who I couldn't even name. You'll not hear any of them in forty years time.

QuntBizkit Fri 15-Mar-24 16:34:57

Rag n Bone Man is overrated - a one-dimensional bellow with vibrato like roadworks.

Gingster Fri 15-Mar-24 16:45:36

Katherine Jenkins 🫣

petra Fri 15-Mar-24 16:52:10

QuntBizkit

Rag n Bone Man is overrated - a one-dimensional bellow with vibrato like roadworks.

Ah 😂 I see we now have BOTS resurrecting old threads .

Luckygirl3 Fri 15-Mar-24 16:54:03

I liked Sting when he was singing with Police. His attempt at singing madrigals later in his career was cringeworthy!

honeyrose Fri 15-Mar-24 16:59:53

Just realised, looking at the dates, that this thread has come to life again! I agree about Cilla Black’s voice - like a screech owl as my late dad would’ve said, although I did like her singing Alfie, but maybe that’s because I like the song. Can’t abide James Blunt’s voice or the Warbler as we call him in my house. Liked Elton John, but past his sell-by now. Not keen on Kylie’s voice as, although it’s not unpleasant, she’s now trying to sound much too young!

62Granny Fri 15-Mar-24 17:28:22

Never liked singers who screech and could never understand the fuss over Tina Turner or Lulu, who I have seen but wasn't impressed.

Primrose53 Fri 15-Mar-24 20:09:33

Haven’t read all this thread but for me Ellie Goulding is the most over rated. She always has to strip off to her underwear and flash her flesh. I know she’s not alone in this but aren’t any of them brave enough to make a stand and just impress us with their vocals instead of showing off their thongs and bralets.

flappergirl Fri 15-Mar-24 20:37:01

I think there ought to be more categories for this thread really. Some of the artists cited so far are exceptionally talented songwriters and musicians (Elton John, Paul McCartney, Adele and Bob Dylan for example). In other words, they are far more than just singers.

Whereas Madonna for example is not an exceptionally talented singer or dancer and, to the best of my knowledge, has never written songs or played an instrument. Ditto Victoria Beckham. So basically I don't think it's a fair competition!

Oreo Fri 15-Mar-24 20:54:58

Ed Sheeran.
Alright if you enjoy a male singer who only seems to have a sensitive side.Sounds like he needs the Kleenex passing.

biglouis Sat 16-Mar-24 01:45:34

Agree about Bob Dylan - has a voice like a rusty saw but I always found his music compelling - Masters of War, Hard Rain etc

Ive always liked Madonna and Tina Turner. Edith Piaf's voice still makes me go cold.

I could never understand what people saw in Michael Jackson. Some of the 60s groups were also pretty crappy singers.

Luckygirl3 Sat 16-Mar-24 08:44:11

I detest Leonard Cohen - he has no voice at all, and his lyrics are pathetic.

honeyrose Sat 16-Mar-24 08:52:38

I can’t understand why some have mentioned Frank Sinatra as being overrated. I think he has a beautiful and distinctive voice, but as someone said, we all have differing opinions. FS did lose his voice as he got older as many singers do.

Greyduster Sat 16-Mar-24 09:20:51

I’m another who has always thought that Alfie Boe is overrated. He was over promoted by Classic FM, as are many basically mediocre musicians. I don’t listen to much (any) popular music these days, but I liked Sinatra’s early recordings. Never been able to stand Tom Jones, the man or the singer. Loved Eva Cassidy, Stevie Nix and Christine McVee.