Gransnet forums

Chat

Will there ever come the day when we can't operate without Smart Phones?

(99 Posts)
Artaylar Wed 24-Feb-21 17:47:24

I've been wondering about this one a while.

Neither myself or DH has a Smart Phone, neither of us has found it to be necessary. We both have a pay as you go Nokio each, and only go on line on our laptops while we are at home.

We holidayed in a village in Cornwall in Autumn 2019 and an app was needed in order to book a week on the village's car park. We had to wait a couple of days until a friend who had a smart phone arrived. We still couldnt download the app though as there was no signal in the village, which made us laugh.

I dont really want to ever have to get a smart phone though, and do worry a little that one day I may need to if it becomes impossible, or very very difficult to operate without one.

Are any of you in the same position?

Camelotclub Fri 26-Feb-21 11:58:44

Incredibly, we managed without them for many years!

MissAdventure Fri 26-Feb-21 12:05:32

Oh happy days! smile

M0nica Fri 26-Feb-21 12:07:26

But we also managed without every device known to humankind at some time, from the wheel onwards.

If the technology is there we soon incorporate it into our lives and develop lives fr which it is essential.

SJV07 Fri 26-Feb-21 12:17:10

I do not have a smartphone as no reception in the house, ordinary, old mobiles do not work here either. Never done Facebook, Twitter, etc, and do not want to. Sad isn't it? I can manage.

leeds22 Fri 26-Feb-21 12:29:33

I’ve got an iPhone six but it’s not good enough to download Track & Trace so I suppose I will have to upgrade for the vaccine passport app. I hardly use the phone I’ve got but I suppose it keeps the manufacture’s profits rolling in.

Visgir1 Fri 26-Feb-21 12:33:05

Sadly not in the future.
You can now send your Pacemaker check if it's a new one with Bluetooth via your smart phone, so your Pacing clinic can monitor you, so you don't have to attend the Hospital. Plus it's cyber secure (currently)
Big Brother is defo here.

HillyN Fri 26-Feb-21 12:54:40

I have got a cheap Android smartphone, but I hardly ever use it. I much prefer my laptop, tablet and proper camera. The only time it comes in useful is when ordering things online, as one of the 'necessary fields' that you have to fill in is your mobile phone number! I suppose it's so that they can send a text, but since I rarely turn it on I wouldn't read it anyway!

Buttonjugs Fri 26-Feb-21 13:05:10

I am already there! My e-commerce business relies on my smartphone a lot, despite using a laptop for most of it. There are things I can’t do on the laptop. I use Google Drive to navigate between the two,

Pittcity Fri 26-Feb-21 13:22:17

I don't understand why people think that all their financial details are "on" the phone or computer.
The details are on the banks server and you access them via passwords, fingerprints and other encryptions. So losing your phone is much safer than losing your purse (especially if it is full of cash!)

4allweknow Fri 26-Feb-21 13:22:48

I use my phone the same as I use my laptop and it is not a smart phone. People seem to think only the well known very very expensive phone named after a fruit and has to be on an annual contract. There are a lot of phones out there that do the same, are much cheaper and on pay as you go. Yes, phone use will become commonplace and hopefully signal reception will catch up some day.

Foxyferret Fri 26-Feb-21 13:37:10

I gave in recently and swapped my old Nokia 3310 for a refurbished iPhone SE. £120 in excellent condition, no scratches and a new battery. 12 months warranty. You can pay in 3 monthly instalments interest free if you want to. I am used to using the iPad so found the iPhone a doddle and I’m glad I took the plunge.

Bluecat Fri 26-Feb-21 13:44:07

I use my smart phone so much that I have developed a pain in my thumb from scrolling down! I am as bad as any teenager.

helgawills Fri 26-Feb-21 13:48:22

www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/takeaction/806/895/284/?taf_id=67536307&cid=fb_na
This is a petition to make smartphones longer lasting, as production is very bad for environment. Hopefully, MissAdventure when you do need another one, it will be made to last.

MissAdventure Fri 26-Feb-21 14:02:23

That's an excellent idea, thank you.
Repair shops always tell me my phone is "too old" to buy a charger for, or to repair after I've only had it a few years!

helgawills Fri 26-Feb-21 14:12:32

Doodledog I can't afford a smartphone, also I have a neurological condition, which makes it virtually impossible to use touchscreen. When I have to use husband's phone, stuff usually happens, like camera going off, unintentional. Don't be so preachy about people like me making things more expensive for people, who can't afford what you can. I use ancient desktop computer mostly, I see there is some point in doing stuff online. Companies just want to make bigger profits from folk who can't afford things. Not to mention the environmental impact.

helgawills Fri 26-Feb-21 14:23:30

Sorry, wording wrong, you seem to think, people, like me, who can't afford what you can, should subsidise your savings, and others' profits.

oodles Fri 26-Feb-21 18:58:15

No one needs one but for me it makes many things easier. I have a cheap android one, pay a small amount monthly adding a bit of data if I'm away from WiFi. I can pay for carparking, find out whe. Buses and trains are running, look up taxi numbers if I'm not at home, keep an eye on work emails on trains, look up what platform my train will come in on, and what platform next one will be on, take photos of useful or interesting things, I can work out how to get places no need for a satnav, and as I ring on my mobile now I can get a cheaper phone package, in fact my phone costs came Down When I got a smart phone as could communicate with my children more cheaply. I can WhatsApp both particularly useful atm as they help me do some work at home
So far I don't bank but I have bought online when out and about or away on holiday, and look up nearest tyre place or what time such and such is open

Shizam Fri 26-Feb-21 20:30:21

Smart phones are useful, like all technology. Can be exhausting when it all goes wrong. But I believe we have to try and keep up with it. It’s harder when no young people are around to solve techno crises!

Kiwigramz Fri 26-Feb-21 23:42:36

I detest the things. Mobile menaces. I think they are good to have for use in an emergency ie car breakdown, accident. What gets me is women who are at the supermarket checkout trying to get groceries out of trolley, for example, ringing their husbands to ask if they want white or brown bread for tea. Give me strength. Perhaps I should change my name to grumpy old gran ?

Saetana Fri 26-Feb-21 23:52:04

I have been using mobile phones for more than 25 years now - and smartphones for at least 12 years. I would not be without my lovely small iPhone SE (not a fan of big phones as I have small hands) or my iPad Mini. Even my parents have mobile phones - although mainly for emergency purposes. My tariff is £6 a month for unlimited texts, calls and 2GB of data (of which I use little as I have broadband and wifi at home). However, when possible, I still use my desktop PC (a state of the art beast I bought 5 months ago) to do most things. I love being able to quickly check my bank balance on my phone. The future is here - keep up or stay behind, your choice.

Lexisgranny Fri 26-Feb-21 23:52:49

I do have a smart phone, but only occasionally take advantage of its features, I much prefer my iPad, where at least I can see things more clearly. I have noticed that not so many people seem to be using cameras nowadays. Whereas we always had a camera with us for outings, this has been replaced by the smart phone, but the iPad takes great photographs.

Bijou Sat 27-Feb-21 09:37:17

I do not need a smart phone. I wouldn’t be without my I pad .it keeps me in touch with friends and family and as I haven’t left the house for eleven months enables me to do all my shopping. I have an ordinary BT phone to keep in touch with those elderly friends who are not on line. My eyes wouldn’t allow me to see anything on the small screen anyway.
My daily help is looking at her phone every five minutes.

JCFrance Sat 27-Feb-21 12:05:07

Just bought a new to me phone with a bigger memory. I didn’t want to but no choice. Even going into the tourist information when we were on holiday (remember those) and asking for a brochure for local walks resulted in the answer you can download the app on your phone. When I said my phone hasn’t enough memory for that I was looked at aghast, maybe I should change my name to Methuselah’s grandma. Plus here in France many of the tourist offices are closing and there’s just a board with web addresses.