Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Thu 25-Feb-21 06:13:34

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its dry outside this morning in Brackley .
Today at some point I expect to get my chilled meat delivered from Parsley Box, having had a confirmation email .
I also ordered a paperback book yesterday , someone locally has written it as regards to his childhood in the town , the author has also written other hardback books as to the towns history , he now lives away from the area in Fleetwood, but visits the town .
He was a history professor at the University of Buckingham .
Take Care,
Mick

Oldbutstilluseful Thu 25-Feb-21 13:46:00

So pleased to see EV back. I’ve missed the news from the Wirral ?

Taichinan Thu 25-Feb-21 13:33:32

Good morning all from a very normal-looking Spring morning on the Angus coast.
15yo DGD is back in school today, having done her mandatory Covid test yesterday. She's in for some practical home economics and will be making spaghetti Bolognese and a dessert (can't remember what it is.). She has become the family's cake baker-in-chief during lockdown so I doubt there will be any problems. Anyway it is all a step in the right direction, isn't it.
I had a humorous encounter the other day. I was in the front sunroom when out of the corner of my eye I saw someone waving frantically to me from outside my front gate. This person had a mop of white curly hair tumbling out from under a baseball cap, eyes hidden by sunglasses and a huge grin which was toothless apart from one large white tooth right in the middle. I wasn't wearing my hearing aids so couldn't hear what was being said so thought I'd better go out and investigate. I couldn't imagine how this "bag lady" had made her way out here. Only when she took her sunglasses off did I recognise her - it was one of my tai chi gentlemen!! He has an enviable head of white curly hair at the best of times but now he was doing a great impersonation of Shirley Temple. As for the teeth - well, he'd lost a bridge (hence the single white peg in the middle). He's quite a 'character' and was quite unabashed! Thankfully there was nobody around to hear our shouted conversation - he is also hard of hearing but absolutely in denial about it. Nice to see him though!
Welcome back to Ellan, lady of the crumpets. You've been very much missed.
I've read all through the posts and have now forgotten who said what, but lovely to see the crocuses Ash. I have clumps of golden ones in the garden, but the purple ones have stopped putting in an appearance.
I hope sheep is getting some sleep between lambs.
Now off I toddle to do something with this day - my body clock has taken control and is hell bent on changing night into day. I woke up briefly at 8am but didn't properly wake until 11am. Such a waste!
Best wishes to all in this time of cautious hope. ??

Grandmafrench Thu 25-Feb-21 13:24:15

E L L A N Can't miss an opportunity to shout.......Yaaay! You're back. About time too, you clearly have no idea how missed you are. And it's not just crumpet envy (well, ok, it is in my case!)

So glad you're o.k. And, as mamaa has said, how lovely to dream about a coach trip to see you - a Gathering of Grans, maybe. It seems ages ago since I said something similar about a lovely afternoon "round at EV's" being such a nice idea.
Maybe one day.....who nose? (as a good friend often writes!?)

After recent events, trust that the family is fairly stable again - especially Ruby - and your D is hanging in there with it all!

Take care, dear lady. Big hugs x

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Feb-21 13:05:39

Nice to see you posting again, EV. Enjoy those crumpets! ?

grandMattie Thu 25-Feb-21 12:10:23

Blossoming

Stilllearning

Just caught up with posts and have a painful vision of my ‘navel’ daughter being born through my bellybutton! Blasted predictive text and hurried typing!

When I was 3 years old I was convinced that was how babies got out ?

Until she actually had a child, that is how my grandmother thought babies were born!!! shock

mamaa Thu 25-Feb-21 12:09:26

The post above should say EV in bold but I left a space between the * and the E. Right I'll shut-up now...

mamaa Thu 25-Feb-21 12:07:38

Hey * EV* wouldnt it be lovely if we could organise a couple of 'charas' (as my Grandma would have said!) from various locations around the UK and sort out a road trip to Liverpool-once its safe and we're 'free' to do so? Might only ever be a pipe dream but its a good one.
I was born and brought up in the NW of England and had many a Sunday outing with my parents and brother in the car to Southport or Liverpool/going through the Mersey tunnel. Happy childhood times.

mamaa Thu 25-Feb-21 11:58:26

That's a first-I managed to post before midday grin a positive for early rising perhaps?

EllanVannin Thu 25-Feb-21 11:57:24

I wish I could see / meet you all, such kind people. I do think about you all.

mamaa Thu 25-Feb-21 11:57:02

Just popped in to see all the goings-on, (or not as the case may be!) and so pleased to see EV has posted this morning-so a quick 'Hello' to you Ellan I'm glad you're alright and still enjoying your crumpets smile.
I was up earlier than normal this morning so all my housework 'jobs' for today were completed by 11.30 and so I'm now at a loose end ... a reasonable excuse I think for why I don't normally rise with the lark wink.
Since retiring I find that 8.30am is early enough- to pinch your phrase Urmston I think I rather enjoy being a #lazygran. Have as good a day as you can folks x.

GrannySomerset Thu 25-Feb-21 11:51:57

So relieved to see you back, EV, and in good form. I’ve missed you.

Litterpicker Thu 25-Feb-21 11:47:23

Good morning. Cloudy and dull here in W Sussex but birds are chirping away outside.

I brought the ironing board downstairs into the living room so that I could iron while watching the birds through the patio doors. That was about six weeks ago. I finally did some ironing yesterday! There’s not even much to do here - a couple of shirts, some tea towels, a tablecloth, a summer blouse - so why is it so hard to do it?

Love to hear Scottish words and phrases so hearing that SNP may be “handed their jotters” on Today this morning was a joy. Not that I want that to happen - please don’t take this as a political statement on this peaceful thread!

Hope your meat arrives safely Mick and that your book is interesting.

Legs55 Thu 25-Feb-21 11:42:08

Good morning just from sunny Devon, lovely blue sky & white clouds although showers are threatened for this afternoon.

Need to pop out to local shop for a couple of bits. Day without a medical appointment, going 3 times a week to have my leg dressing changed. Medical appointments are ruling my life at the moment but it's preferable to being in Hospital (11 days in January).

flowers for all who are struggling with health issues

Have the best day you can everybodysmile

muse Thu 25-Feb-21 11:38:51

Good morning Mick and all.

Hope everyone's deliveries arrive safely (including the lambs).
Hope everyone's appointments are successful.

Mya is well on the road to recovery now. Looking at my diary, it's taken her nearly 7 weeks. So pleased with this new food. Just order a 15kg bag for her. Local pet store don't sell the large bags so it's an on line order.

Ground Hog Day: 'The hotel on Bryher have emailed to sort out our booking for April. I need to hear from the dog creche but this will be our third attempt to get to Brhyer to celebrate my 70th Birthday.

Good to see your post EV. I love my Hotter walking shoes. Their sizing is the best. I take a 9 (43) and Hotter are spot on for me.

Glorious weather today in Cornwall. Wish I was able to drive to the coast but must stay local. Soon - I keep telling myself.

Off to fill up the bird feeders and then finish the Sainsbug delivery for tomorrow. Hoping MrM gets cracking with repairing the digger now it looks like we have a run of good weather. We need lots of trenches dug.

Popping back tonight to see what everyone's been up to.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Feb-21 11:30:39

I'm popping back to cheer the return of the Crumpet Queen Ellanvannin. Good to see you posting.

CherryCezzy Thu 25-Feb-21 11:28:22

Ah, there you are Auntieflo ?

CherryCezzy Thu 25-Feb-21 11:26:52

A good late morning to you all. It's a beautiful day in the Gower ☺️.

Had a bit of an odd day yesterday, hardly coming up for air ?. Today is different, so far. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon for a deep clean of my bottom teeth and I hope the dentist emembers that she's meant to be taking an impression of the teeth for my new gumshield first. The appointment can't come too soon as I seem to be developing an abscess behind one of my upper teeth. Epilepsy plays havoc with my teeth ?.
I think I'll be having soup for dinner tonight ?. I hope your trip to the dentist isn't too painful Marydoll.

All this talk about WW2 this morning. I was reading about the 3 day blitz in Swansea the day before yesterday as it is the 80th anniversary of it taking place. My mother was 16 at the time.
Bellasnana I hope having your hair cut helps lift your spirits a little bit ???.
Happy birthday to your DH Cornergran, it sounds like you have a lovely day planned ??
Lovely to have you back with us Ellan ?
What a lovely heirloom Susan. I loved my doll's house when I was little.

Thinking of Georgesgran and Auntieflo and all the missing posters ?
I hope everyone finds at least one ? today ❤️

Grammaretto Thu 25-Feb-21 11:18:17

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. A nice Spring day. I was chuckling at your navel DD stillearning but I understood and agree it is interesting when the DC move about the country and you can stay with them and discover new places.
I am trying to work out how I can be in bubbles with 2 DC. I am on my own so I am allowed one but I would like to swap them about. Is that greedy?

It feels like Saturday for some reason. I am losing have lost the plot.

I have shopped and I have had breakfast. Time for second breakfast?

EllanVannin Thu 25-Feb-21 11:17:15

Hope you're doing alright Auntieflo. Marydoll too. xx

hollysteers Thu 25-Feb-21 11:15:14

Good morning Mick and all from a sunny northwest coast. I hope you enjoy your book Mick, it’s good to have an enjoyable book on the go at the moment.
I’m off to the doc re my high blood pressure, handed the chart in last week, so will see what happens. I don’t want to suddenly explode like my father before my time if I can help it.
Apart from that, will brush by the front door and do some drawing. I wish I woke up refreshed in the morning rather than worn out. It makes no difference if I go to bed early or not...
Thoughts to the worried and hope you have a nice day. Will read the entries later.

EllanVannin Thu 25-Feb-21 11:13:05

Love and hugs to All. ((((x)))) What a welcome !

Of course I'd share my crumpets LauraNorder, anytime. smile

Jaxjacky Thu 25-Feb-21 11:06:42

Scentia good you found a new place, it’s tricky, had to do the same for Mum some years ago and excellent someone noticed the missing allowance. Marydoll good luck at the dentist ?.
EV welcome back, you’ve been missed.

annsixty Thu 25-Feb-21 11:04:42

Auntieflo
If you are so inclined, don’t forget to organise a card from The Queen.
My D did it for us 2and a half years ago, sadly my H didn’t know what it all meant but enjoyed a glass of vintage champagne gifted to us.
A party was out of the question so I hope you plan and enjoy.

Nannagarra Thu 25-Feb-21 10:50:53

I too am made up to see EV back and know that she’s well! ???

Gelisajams Thu 25-Feb-21 10:50:51

EV you are back! ?