Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Thu 25-Feb-21 06:13:34

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , but its dry outside this morning in Brackley .
Today at some point I expect to get my chilled meat delivered from Parsley Box, having had a confirmation email .
I also ordered a paperback book yesterday , someone locally has written it as regards to his childhood in the town , the author has also written other hardback books as to the towns history , he now lives away from the area in Fleetwood, but visits the town .
He was a history professor at the University of Buckingham .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Thu 25-Feb-21 06:21:48

Good morning, Mick and everyone from a mild and calm Torbay. The book you have ordered sounds interesting, Mick.

Staying with the purple and yellow theme, I’m taking you from the ridiculous of yesterday to the sublime today with this photo from the park which is opposite my home. This colourful display is a joy to behold each Spring and is more welcome than ever this year!

I hope any lamb births overnight were trouble free for sheepandcattle. B9exchange is right: you should write a book. How wonderful that each animal has a name! I loved yesterday's comment from Auntieflo about the sheep lining up to hear the register called. A friend who was a dairy farmer used to name newly born calves after characters in whatever musical or panto his wife was performing. So he had Sinbad, Eliza, Cinderella, etc.

I hope EV is well and that we hear from her soon. Marydoll tells wonderful anecdotes about her life and I think we've all experienced the attitude of younger folk towards our generation regarding IT, especially remotely by phone. It’s when they say, “Do you have access to a computer?” or “Do you have an email address?” that one wonders what their own grandparents are like.

Have as good a day as you can and stay safe and well. ?

Pantglas2 Thu 25-Feb-21 06:23:21

Morning Mick and all who follow from a very quiet ? north Wales where that noisy wind has disappeared and we’re promised ? for the next few days!

Will strip the bed once DH has roused himself and we’re having kedgeree for brunch - it’ll be lovely to sit in the garden mid morning watching the birdies flying in and out of their houses. DH renovates them each year and takes viewings from potential tenants - in my mind anyway ?

Good to read more are having the injection and plans for holidays/breaks being revived- we all need something to look forward to, and soon! Will be checking flights to mi Casa in May ?

Stay safe everyone x

grandMattie Thu 25-Feb-21 06:27:53

Good morning from a dawning E Kent. We had lovely ☀️Most of yesterday. Doesn’t it cheer us after the gloom of winter?
Your book sounds interesting,*Mick*, and I hope your PB delivery is successful.
My Spanish class is today and we have been examining the use of various past tenses. I am floundering, which is why I spent the night dreaming is the imperfect, pluperfect, perfect etc. I’m exhausted.
Apart from Spanish, I’ve got an empty.
I sent a Bakedin subscription to my DGS ‘s 8 year old sister. She’s a baking fiend and I hope she enjoys it.
Hope the maternity ward clients are behaving themselves, Sheep.
To everyone, have the gentlest, quiet, kind day. Forget your worries, pain and cares and carpe diem. ☀️??❤️

Beechnut Thu 25-Feb-21 06:30:03

Good Morning everyone from Severnside where it is also dark and dry.

It was so good to get out into the garden yesterday. I cut a lot of sprouting new branches off my eucalyptus tree and they smelt lovely. That should freshen the wheelie bin.

My daughter is coming today. She is on holiday and has been decorating.

I hope you enjoy your book Mick. I have one of where I grew up. It wasn’t written by a local and wasn’t quite what I expected but I did learn some things and knew some of the people.

Take care all and enjoy your day ?

Beechnut Thu 25-Feb-21 06:31:54

Hopefully changing soon.

Bellasnana Thu 25-Feb-21 06:43:25

Good morning from Malta where we are having lovely weather at the moment.

I didn’t get out for my walk yesterday. After bathing the dog and washing the floors I sank into despondency and wasted a lovely sunny day. I am so cross with myself.

Thank you for your lovely comments which had me in tears. Some days are a struggle even though I know how fortunate I am and should be counting my blessings.

Well, today’s another day. Hairdresser this morning so I have to go out whether I like it or not. After my hair I will collect DD3’s puppy and bring him home until 7.30 pm when she finishes work.

Wishing you all a good day whatever you are doing.☀️

Scentia Thu 25-Feb-21 06:46:41

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is still dark and feels mild.
Off to work shortly to catch up on work I didn’t do yesterday as it was my day off.
Had a devil’s own job finding DFiL a new home as his SW called and said he had to be out by Monday as his home has been closed down. Something a bit fishy there I think!!
Anyway, we have one, it is a more expensive one at £750 a week but that just means his money will run out sooner, but they did tell me he should have been claiming Attendance Allowance for the past 3 years, something his current home have never mentioned?
Hope all the new lambs are well and the Ewes have managed ok. Take care everyone and stay safe

Dwmxwg Thu 25-Feb-21 06:47:09

Good morning Mick and all to come. Still dark here in north Surrey, we are forecast a drizzly day today.
Yesterday’s visit to mum and dad started with a very miserable couple bickering with each other. Both had slept badly and dad’s prescribed cream was a measly 30g tube which won’t go far so he wasn’t best pleased. Thankfully mum agreed to have a little walk and then we sat in the sunshine for a while and it lifted her spirits. She had watched a programme the previous night about the blitz and was telling me her memories of the war. She was nearly 6 when war broke out and she can remember hearing Chamberlain announce the news on the radio. They lived in the suburbs and could see and hear the bombing from their bedroom window. Through a child’s eyes it was all quite exciting. Later in the war their house was bombed and mum was evacuated to a village near Leicester. She has such clear memories of those times and yet her short term memory is very bad now. So strange how the brain works.
We have the boys here, both still asleep despite the early morning dog alarm. Will need to wake them soon as they will be off to school. Collection this afternoon and another night here whilst DD works her night shifts.
DH has an optician appointment today. I have been nagging him to go for months, his glasses have crackles all over the lens, goodness knows how he can see anything. At last he is doing something about it.
For me laundry day and I may tackle the spare room which has become the dumping room, I know there are a few GNs who will empathise.
Look forward to hear more news from the farm Sheep, your descriptions paint such a clear picture for us.
Thoughts to all with illness, worries and bereavement.
Wishing all a good day

Ashcombe Thu 25-Feb-21 06:49:07

Having your hair done and time with the puppy will be just the tonic you need Bellasnana. I’m sure today will be better for you. ?

Gagagran Thu 25-Feb-21 06:51:05

Morning all from a mild south coast. 9.2c at 6.15am.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning Beechnut - so true! I think that sums up how many of us are feeling.

Its our big day out today so I am feeling a little excited. It may be only to Tesco to get the click and collect but it is the only time we go out on a date! We are still obeying the rule to stay at home, due to our medical conditions so I look forward to this little outing as a treat.

Managed to pot up the Japanese maple yesterday. It was a Christmas present, along with a large pot, from DD and DSiL. Then I got handy with the secateurs and tidied up some other dead bits waiting to go in the garden rubbish bin. There's a real air of anticipation in the garden now and it's really good to see so much just waiting to burst forth.

Hope today is a good day for us all. sunshine

Susan56 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:02:05

Good morning from Shropshire.

Childcare today.DGD will be going back to school on Monday.

We have a new project.When my dad died nearly thirty years ago,mum to keep herself busy made beautiful dolls houses for my two daughters.She had never done anything like it before but they were a work of art.Our younger daughter has given us her dolls house to keep at our house for our DGD as she is worried our DGS will destroy it.DGD loves her mummy’s dolls house so I think she will be delighted to have her aunties here.We are going to ‘renovate’it so today will be choosing paint and wallpaper from The Dolls house Emporium.

Hope today is better for you Bellasnanna?

Cherry, hope you are doing ok?

Thinking of Georgesgran.Auntieflo,the Panache’s and all with illness and worries.

Have a good day all.

kittylester Thu 25-Feb-21 07:13:10

Morning all from a brightening North Leicestershire.

Loads of excitement ahead today. Our occasional gardener is coming to do some moving and clearing up, dh is taking someone for a hospital visit and I have ironing to do. Then a Sainsbury's delivery to unpack!

Enjoy your days everyone.

Jaxjacky Thu 25-Feb-21 07:17:10

Good morning Mick and all from a dry, red sky S Hants. Book sounds interesting Mick, I wonder what you’ll find out and thank you for opening this thread each morning, it’s much appreciated.
Had my jab yesterday afternoon, what a slick pice of organisation, my arm is slightly sore, but I sleep on that side. My friend was marshalling indoors, when I went in and gave my Christian name, the abbrev I use, she corrected it to the full length, sounded like my Mum!
Bathrooms today to be cleaned after a shower, my hair needs a colour, I’ve been using T/gel shampoo the last two weeks as, for the first time, I’ve got dandruff and itchy scalp, I’ll leave it another week before I colour. DH came in very tired and achy last night, first day of work for a couple of weeks, he slept well.
Have a good day all, hopefully with some ? for your souls.

brook2704 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:20:01

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a dry and bright start to the day with a bit of sunshine forecast for later ?
Yesterday we enjoyed a lovely long walk but today I’m staying home and will be pottering in the garden and looking for signs of spring. I too love the purple and yellow spring bulb colours Ashcombe a lovely picture
So nice of you dwmxwg to spend time chatting with your mum, sadly my mum passed away 5 years ago but I still miss her even though we didn’t always get on, especially in her later years.
A lovely project with the dolls house susan and a family heirloom to treasure for the future
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

BlueSapphire Thu 25-Feb-21 07:21:10

An earlier good morning from me in Northampton, where it is clear and dry. Can usually turn over and have a bit more shut-eye, but was wide awake at 6.30am. Anyway, felt brave enough to pop out to the end of the drive in my dressing-gown with the food waste bin as no-one was about!

Sainsbury's delivery later this morning, and must wash the kitchen and bathroom floors. May have an hour in the garden this afternoon to tidy up a few more shrubs.

Had a phone call from the hospital yesterday; they have an appointment for an ECG for me on Saturday if I can get there. I checked with DD and rang them back to say ok. This dates back to my check-up with a GP a couple of months ago when she detected a heart murmur that I didn't know I had.

Knitted up the stitches around the neck of my jumper yesterday, but it looked messy, so I ripped it out and will have another go today.

Looking forward to the latest bulletin from the farm! Hope all have a pleasant day.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:22:23

Morning Mick and all

The friends WhatsApp group along with the family one were busy last night as The Repair Shop featured the Church at the end of our road, I got married there many moons ago! They repaired the very old and battered weather vane.

We are going to M & S Food shop this morning which means I can go into
the big Boots also........yippee!!!

Bellasnanna I do hope a trip
To the hairdressers will boost your spirits.

Thinking of our missing friends.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

cornergran Thu 25-Feb-21 07:29:25

Morning Mick, morning All from a calm, wonderfully dry corner of Somerset. We’ve sunshine forecast for a few days, it will be garden time for me, really looking forward to it.

It’s Mr C’s birthday today, one of the two days in the year I bring him a cuppa to start the day. We’ve an NT walk booked, his favourite food is in the fridge, we’ll enjoy all we can.

Go gently bellasnana, today will be better I’m certain of it. Goodness scentia, well done for finding your father in law a safe place to be. Not an easy task. As you say something fishy. My parents were adults in East London during the war dwmx, the programme certainly illustrated many of the stories they told. Your walk with your Mum sounds to have been very special for you both.

Take care everyone. Hope Wednesday is kind to us all.

Sar53 Thu 25-Feb-21 07:32:09

Good morning from a brightening Essex by the sea.
Food shopping this morning, we are going to try a new Lidl that opened last week very close to us.
We have decided to move our holiday to France from May this year to May next year. We've moved it once from last September. I had a lovely email from the man who owns the gite but it's obvious that the vaccine rollout there is almost non existent and there is no guarantee that France will let visitors from the UK into the country. I would rather leave it until restrictions everywhere are less strict.
DD2 had a meeting with her surgeon yesterday and he is pleased with her progress. The infection has gone but he says it will take at least 6 months for healing to take place. She is feeling positive but self conscious about the scarring. I do so want to give her a big hug?.
Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone xx

Pittcity Thu 25-Feb-21 07:47:04

Good morning from a mild but overcast Colchester.
Large pile of ironing to tackle as I took advantage of the weather and line dried a lot of laundry yesterday.
DD is taking some of our surplus furniture and leaving us a smaller dining table ahead of her house move tomorrow.
Then it's Jay's online pub quiz with the family.

ginny Thu 25-Feb-21 08:11:09

Good Morning all. The wind has dropped at last and it is dry here in N. Bucks.
Had a good chat with the nurse yesterday morning and feel a bit calmer about health issues.
Will walk down to town this morning probably by a circular walk . Need to collect a prescription and as the market is on , we will visit the fish stall. For some reason I have a fancy for some mackerel.
Pleased you have found a place for your DFiL Scentia
Hope you have a better day Bellasnana.
Happy Birthday to Mr C.
Just thinking I may take the scissors to DHs hair. He has quite a lot and is beginning to resemble Boris.
Hope you all find a ?today.

grannysyb Thu 25-Feb-21 08:14:06

Good morning, a bit grey here, hope it will brighten up. Scentia, what a nightmare, having to find a home at such short notice. Going for a walk later with my friend and her dog, she has had her first lot of chemo this week and is feeling quite nauseous, hope she feels better today. We took all the tools which needed sharpening to someone locally yesterday, hope he does a good job, of he does we will reccomend him to other allotmenteers. Have the best day possible everyone.

Greyduster Thu 25-Feb-21 08:19:09

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. I like a bit of local history myself, Mick - enjoy your book!
It’s a calm bright South Yorkshire day but there’s frost on the car. We are going out today for a walk, having been busy indoors all week. I will have to get over my usual monumental morning sneezing fit first though!
A very Happy Birthday to Mr Corner - hope his day is filled with good things!???
Enjoy whatever you are doing folks.

harrigran Thu 25-Feb-21 08:20:28

Good morning from a lovely sunny NE.
I watched the Lucy Worsley programme about the blitz and found if most interesting.
Our town sustained a lot of damage during the war because of the shipbuilding and other industry.
DH and I belong to an Antiquarian society and we used to enjoy the lectures about the history of the area.
Grocery order had nothing missing but several of the ready meals had yesterday's date on, too many to eat in one day so had to freeze them.
Take care.

Alygran Thu 25-Feb-21 08:21:08

Good morning from North Yorkshire. The weather has changed again, this time for the better, clear blue sky and sunshine. ?
I’m meeting a friend for a walk this morning, then doing more zoom this afternoon and evening; Treasurers’ Network and Parish Council. I don’t usually go to the latter but there are big discussions about local farmland being given over to a large solar panel installation. I have very mixed feelings but it’s certainly better than the previous attempt to change the land use to a quarry!
Happy birthday Mr C.
Bellasnana I hope you enjoy your walk.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.