Gransnet forums

Chat

Do GN explain reasons for thread deletions?

(41 Posts)
Dinahmo Fri 26-Feb-21 11:59:43

I've noticed one thread that I responded to had been deleted because GN are "looking into it". This is the first time I've seen these although I have read elsewhere about deletions. My question is - do they ever explain their reasons?

Galaxy Fri 26-Feb-21 18:57:47

It's not about rl references I dont think it's about being on the internet a bit, trolls tend to fall into very familiar patterns particularly on sites connected to MN. Its not a good idea to explain the patterns because then people change them.

NellG Fri 26-Feb-21 19:10:29

OK, thanks Galaxy It's a while since I've 'done' forums - I hadn't seen anything here that I felt was too outlandish to be real so just curious really. Plus a bit concerned that someone posting a genuine, if weird, dilemma might not get support if their post appeared too odd in some way.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Feb-21 19:29:28

You can I interact with me nellg I m pretty easygoing and don’t bite till after midnight??

Dinahmo Fri 26-Feb-21 22:25:14

M0nica

MissAdventure I clicked on a removed thread this afternoon. All it said was This thread has been deleted by GNHQ for breaking our forum guidelines.

This is what it always says, no matter what the reason for removing the thread.

The response from GN HQ on this particular thread is "We're just removing things while we look into things a bit closer"

I just don't get it.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Feb-21 22:39:11

Nell I've fallen foul of a few posters here
It’s not hard to do, join the club ?

Dinahmo I noticed a post (not a thread) had been deleted with that ‘looking into it’ reason yesterday, & assumed it was because the poster was disseminating nonsense about the vaccines.

Galaxy Fri 26-Feb-21 22:55:21

Looking into it usually means well this is obviously a load of bollocks but we are too polite to say that.

NellG Fri 26-Feb-21 23:01:40

janeainsworth this is true, what annoys me about it most is that it usually derails a bloody good discussion for a post or ten. But hey ho, people are gonna people.

BlueBelle Good, I'll double social distance after twelve though just to be safe wink

phoenix Fri 26-Feb-21 23:27:13

Sometimes a reason is given, "turned into a bit of a bunfight" being one, or the other favourite being that it broke the rules/guidance etc.

On occasion this is true, but a thread mentioning me by name was deleted a while back, and I still can't see why. I did contact GNHQ but............

It was a totally innocuous thread, but got deleted anyway.

Strange, because some that are pretty obviously "wrong" for whatever reason can remain in place for longer than one might wish.

nanna8 Sat 27-Feb-21 00:00:12

Maybe they should learn proper English, too “ a bit closer.” Ah, these Russians ....

FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 06:48:20

Galaxy is right. (As usual!)
That underwear thread was a very obvious troll.

NanKate Sat 27-Feb-21 07:08:01

What I have noticed that if we show support for a GN member who has been banned by HQ, the thread is taken down and there is no right of reply. It’s a one way street. ?

nanna8 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:55:45

If they are banned,though, maybe there are 2 sides to the story and more than what we see here. Just a thought.

Lucca Sat 27-Feb-21 09:06:28

But we don’t get both sides

kittylester Sat 27-Feb-21 11:33:55

In my view, any explanation for a deletion disappears too fast leaving lots of confused elderly people wondering in a thread was a figment of their imagination.

Dinahmo Sat 27-Feb-21 12:03:04

FannyCornforth

Galaxy is right. (As usual!)
That underwear thread was a very obvious troll.

Was it? I must be naive.