Gransnet forums

Chat

Shamima Begum

(118 Posts)
Jaffacake2 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:42:22

Just wondered what others thought about the decision by the Supreme court not to allow this young lady to return to the UK to plead her case for continued British citizenship.
I have mixed feelings as she was an ISIS bride and has previously spoke of her allegiance to their terrorism and barbaric acts. She could be a terrorist threat to this country.
However I also consider that she was 15 years old when she went to Syria. We still don't know definitely if she was groomed or trafficked to go there. I seem to remember some of the stupid decisions I made at 15 !
She then had and lost 3 babies and both her husbands were killed. Such a sad life and now she seems stuck in a refugee camp at 21 years old.
What do others think should happen to her ?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 04-Mar-21 10:18:00

A UK Guantanamo anyone? Perhaps offshore, ie IoW??

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 19:35:45

I'd forgotten that. Let's go back to transportation. Empty the prisons! (only trouble is where could we send them?)

Iam64 Wed 03-Mar-21 18:28:59

Predictive text - ner’do wells

Iam64 Wed 03-Mar-21 18:28:37

Trisher, you’ll know we did that by shipping children who poached a rabbit, off to Australia. The country has made a success of those net do wells

readalot Wed 03-Mar-21 18:17:41

I agree with the decision. She shouldn't be allowed to return. I wouldn't trust her. When you think of the people who've been released from prison and then gone on to commit acts of terrorism. I think because she's a woman she is getting more sympathy.

simtib Wed 03-Mar-21 18:09:46

We should look at it from the other countries point of view not just our own.

trisher Wed 03-Mar-21 18:05:37

It does make you wonder could we perhaps saddle other countries with our home grown undesirables?

simtib Wed 03-Mar-21 18:02:35

Roni yes she is an evil person and I am surprised Syria have not said that they don't want Britains terrorists, shoved her on the first plane back to Britain and told us she came from Britain and you can keep her.

Roni Wed 03-Mar-21 15:27:12

Shamima is a evil person.
She has told her sob story several times to the press. I don't believe that she has changed. I am not interested in her new stories.
If she is allowed her we shall be footing all her expenses, provide her living accommodation etc etc. Plus she will need to be protracted. The police have better things to do.!

JenniferEccles Wed 03-Mar-21 15:19:18

I completely agree with the court’s decision.

As has already been mentioned, allowing this particular woman to return here for her trial would undoubtedly open the floodgates for others.

Our national safety must be of paramount importance, and this woman could be a serious threat.

AmberSpyglass Wed 03-Mar-21 15:14:00

But she is from this country.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 14:36:36

We can't have another tragedy such as there was in Manchester. My stepGC were involved and as a family we were all up for most of the night waiting and wondering and feeling so ill.

Fortunately my family were safe but what they witnessed as they came from the foyer will never leave them. Until anyone had a family member involved in the carnage that was, there's no way that such people should ever be allowed to enter this country under any circumstances.

tickingbird Wed 03-Mar-21 14:33:36

Victim of sex trafficking??? That’s an insult to those that are victims. She went willingly and in her own words “had a great time”.

AmberSpyglass Wed 03-Mar-21 14:29:31

Incorrectly

Billybob4491 Wed 03-Mar-21 14:18:37

The problem has been dealt with AmberSpyglass

AmberSpyglass Wed 03-Mar-21 14:16:57

We cannot simply rescind citizenship because someone has acted in a way we dislike. This young woman was groomed, was a victim of sex trafficking. Even if she wasn’t, she is still a citizen and still our problem to deal with.

Nannashirlz Wed 03-Mar-21 12:08:59

I totally agree with what the court said. She shows no remorse.

Iam64 Mon 01-Mar-21 18:46:14

Kandinsky, i was brought up in the CofE. I retain faith but rarely speak of it. I don’t believe it’s up to me to forgive Rose West, Hindley or others like them. I’m relieved they were imprisoned. I understood Hindley no longer posed a threat but I didn’t want her released. I’m ok with keeping West in prison.
I’m extremely uncomfortable with the generalisation that horrific childhood experiences ‘made them the people they became’.
I have close friends and relatives who experienced awful childhoods. My working life brought me into contact with so many adults whose childhood experiences were beyond description. Most of those people are living what could be described as good lives.
We make choices as adults. As 15 year olds, all to often we make bad choices. Mine included smoking (I loved cigarettes) and at 16 a boyfriend my parents didn’t like. I married him two years later. Big Mistake but luckily, I grew up, got out and built a good life.
Shaming Begum was attracted to a way of life I find abhorrent. We don’t know the extent of brainwashing. She’s a British citizen. I believe we should bring her back to fight Her case, alongside investigating. If she’s committed war crimes or offences, prosecute.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 01-Mar-21 18:34:08

That is very brave of you to post Laura and I agree that it’s difficult to judge when you don’t know someone’s back story and yours is indeed very sad. I don’t suppose many of us are the same person we were when we were 15. In fact neurologically the brain is still developing at this age and it is why teenagers often risk take, make rash decisions and so on.

I can understand the anger and disgust that people feel towards Begum but putting aside the emotional feelings it cannot be right to revoke citizenship and leave a person stateless, and also to deny them the right to a fair trial.

Personally I do not think anyone is beyond redemption, and compassion is a less destructive emotion than hate.

Galaxy Mon 01-Mar-21 17:56:52

Laura, thankyou for that post, as Iam64 said it was full of empathy and kindness.

eazybee Mon 01-Mar-21 17:39:06

The point to consider about Shamima Begum is : does she pose a threat to Britain if she returns and my sincere belief is that she does.

Eloethan Mon 01-Mar-21 17:30:37

I disagree with the decision.

Kandinsky Mon 01-Mar-21 17:21:55

LauraNorder

Sorry to hear about your awful childhood experiences.
Only problem is. most serial killers have had terrible childhoods, do we forgive Rose West? Myra Hindley? ( & countless others )
Their truly horrific childhood experiences made them the people they became.
Where do we draw the line of forgiveness & wanting to ‘save’ people?

simtib Mon 01-Mar-21 13:37:32

Smileless2012

They may say the same as us simtib which doesn't make the decision made about her wrong.

If it was the other way round they may say the same as we are saying, but I am sure we would be quoting international law and getting them sent back on the next flight and would be really indignat that some country tried to dump their unwanted citizens on us.

Iam64 Mon 01-Mar-21 13:30:28

LauraNorder, thanks for giving that personal information in support of your belief that “ she deserves a chance to be heard. Our kindness might be her Orlin ‘
Empathy like yours is invaluable to all of us. Often adults who could have been brutalised by childhood experiences, have so much to give. It’s that survivor empathy and compassion. It isn’t naive to believe most people are capable of redemption.