Gransnet forums

Chat

Age Gap Relationships

(185 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 19:44:01

Hello Everyone smile
Just to liven things up a bit.
What are your thoughts on them?
Do you have a significant gap in yours or are you the same age?
(My husband and I have quite a big difference in age.)
Anyway - thoughts?
Thank you!

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Feb-21 21:33:12

Oops pressed too soon, he says I’m his sexy chick, I would differ in my opinion, instead I just try and look self effacing...??

LucyLocket55 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:49:18

I still laugh about Joan Collins’ comment when asked about whether the age difference between her and her latest husband Percy (I think he was about 15 years younger than her) concerned her and she said ‘ Well, if he dies, he dies’.

Sara1954 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:52:40

Less than a year between us.
My previous relationship was ten years, I was sixteen when we got together, and we were into different music, different clothes, didn’t get on with each other’s friends, it was only ten years, but it seemed like a massive difference in almost everything.
With my husband, we share memories of all sorts of things, we slotted into each other’s social circles, and as we’ve gotten older, we’re going at the same pace.

Sara1954 Sat 27-Feb-21 21:53:49

Lucylocket
Love that!

paddyanne Sat 27-Feb-21 21:54:48

Vampirequeen it would have been strange if I'd married someone older every woman for generations in my family has married a younger man,my mum ,my gran ,my great gran and her mother...my sisters and my daughter ,and 4 of those got married on the same day of the year too

Justwidowed Sat 27-Feb-21 22:18:41

My first husband was 5 years older,divorced after 10 ,second husband was 15 years older and sadly died at 52 ,two weeks before 1st anniversary.My last husband was three years older and we were happily married for 37 years before he died sixteen months ago.There won't be a number 4.

BlueSky Sat 27-Feb-21 22:36:50

I seem to like the 10 year gap. My first husband was 10 years older
and my second is 10 years younger!

Esspee Sat 27-Feb-21 23:02:56

My late husband was 16 years older than me. Age was never an issue.

BrightandBreezy Sat 27-Feb-21 23:38:08

Dh is exactly I month and I day older than me. Married 46 years. Very happy together now. When we were younger we used to bicker a lot. I used to think that friends with a bigger age gap didn't bicker as much as us. These days the tiny age gap seems to work for us. Retired within a few years of each other and both like the same levels of activity on holidays ext.

GrandmasueUK Sun 28-Feb-21 00:09:11

My OH is 13 years younger than me and were have been together almost 17 years now. It's been really good. I had a relationship with someone 19 years younger than me when I was 38 for about 4 years and was fun while it lasted. We're still friends now.

GrannyRose15 Sun 28-Feb-21 01:07:32

DH is 5 older than me so this was good as it meant we would get out pensions together. All this changed of course with pension age changing so now I have to work for another 6 years while he is at home, watching daytime TV, walking the dog an not doing any housework.

Redhead56 Sun 28-Feb-21 01:31:50

My first big mistake of a husband was five years older than me it was an extremely unpleasant ten years.
My husband now is also five years older than me. We have been happily married for twenty five years in September and it has flown beyond belief.

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 02:02:07

Thank you for so many lovely replies, and only a couple of negative experiences.
LucyLocket and Sara - Percy Gibson is at least 30 years younger than Joan - not a mere 15! She is 87 and he is around 56.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 28-Feb-21 07:49:53

My ex husband was 15 years older than me. It didnt seem much of a problem as we had similar views sense of humour etc. At times it did feel odd when thought about him marrying his first wife when I had barely started school! We divorced but the age gap wasnt a factor. I must admit I'm sometimes quite relieved im now not married to a man in his 70s. Maybe I would have felt differently if we had aged together. Perhaps the age gaps are only more noticeable/problematical when at different ends of age spectrum?

nanna8 Sun 28-Feb-21 07:54:34

My husband is 6 years older than me. One of my daughters has been married for 20 years to a man 18 years older than her. Not been an easy ride for her in any way but they have survived(just).

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 28-Feb-21 07:59:41

My OH is two years older. My son’s partner is 8 years older. Mum’s second OH after dad died was 12 years younger. My brother is 15 years older than his third wife. It all seems to work!

Grammaretto Sun 28-Feb-21 08:12:22

I have a theory which paddyanne has just squashed that it's to do with position in the family.

My older DS married a younger man, I married an older man and the youngest DB married an older woman.
Only a year or two but when you are young it makes a difference.

I know 2 couples who have enormous age gaps. In one he is old enough to be her DGP and she has just had a baby. They seem happy.
In another the woman is in her 50s with a man of 25. Society is more disapproving of them than the former.

Gagagran Sun 28-Feb-21 08:15:23

My DH is 1 year older than me and we will have been married for 56 years this year. Lots of common memories and experiences of growing up in the 1950s and 60s and both born in WW2. Both born and bred in Yorkshire with similar family backgrounds. We share a similar northern accent.

My elder brother married at 23 a lady aged 31 from Wales and my parents always thought she was a baby snatcher desperate to find someone to marry her! She was a good friend to me and I always liked her but she and my brother never seemed to quite gel in the way my DH and I did/do. Not sure if it was the age difference or completely different background.

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 08:23:02

So far DH and I (bar Percy & Joan) have got the biggest gap, at 26 years.
I recall that when I first joined GN (in September - seems like I've been here forever!) a poster mentioned that her husband was a similar number of years her junior.

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 08:28:27

My Nan and Grandad had a 12 year gap. (She is now 94 - I think blush) They got together towards the end of the war. She was 18 and he was 30, which may have been a bit controversial at the time, I'm not sure... I always think that it sounds very romantic and passionate.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 28-Feb-21 08:30:01

I suppose in some ways I'm a romantic. I think if it's true love and a genuine connection you will overcome any issues that may arise with an age gap in either direction!

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 08:31:53

It's fascinating what 'makes' a relationship isn't it?
It must boil down to similar expectations more than anything, I think.

LauraNorder Sun 28-Feb-21 08:33:57

Gosh FannyC have you only been here since September, it does seem like forever, but in a good way.

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 08:34:31

Dorsetcupcake61

I suppose in some ways I'm a romantic. I think if it's true love and a genuine connection you will overcome any issues that may arise with an age gap in either direction!

I agree with you there Dorsetcupcake - and I love your username, you sound delicious!

FannyCornforth Sun 28-Feb-21 08:35:17

Aah, thank you Laura smileflowers