Gransnet forums

Chat

Age Gap Relationships

(185 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 19:44:01

Hello Everyone smile
Just to liven things up a bit.
What are your thoughts on them?
Do you have a significant gap in yours or are you the same age?
(My husband and I have quite a big difference in age.)
Anyway - thoughts?
Thank you!

Rufus2 Tue 02-Mar-21 04:39:48

Just to liven things up a bit.
What are your thoughts on them?

Fanny Here are my thoughts; might liven things up a bit!
Are we discussing chronological age differences or mental age differences? hmm
OoRoo

Saetana Tue 02-Mar-21 06:37:44

My husband is 4 years and 3.5 months older than me - we've been married for almost 32 years. I think as we get older age gaps become less of a worry.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-Mar-21 06:46:33

Rufus We are discussing 'chronological age differences', as you put it.
What you are doing is anyone's guess, as is usual. smile

Naninka Tue 02-Mar-21 09:12:49

20 months between us and we often comment on things like:

when an oldie comes on the radio we both know the words

what we were doing when 'something' happened

we both were given a silver jubilee mug at school

we remember watching certain tv programmes as kids

... that sort of thing but, you know, as long as you love each other, you will find things to chat about and new places (spiritual, geographical, emotional, etc) to explore.

So, in short, who cares?

Craftycat Tue 02-Mar-21 10:36:39

I am 13 years older than my husband. He loves calling himself a toyboy!
We met at a time when my first marriage was rocky & we have now been together nearly 30 years. To be honest I have far more energy & oomph than he does. He has put on a lot of weight & does no exercise. He is still at working age but I retired a good few years ago.
It works for us.

Happysexagenarian Tue 02-Mar-21 13:06:36

DH is 9 years older than me. Never really noticed the difference, we're both very young at heart.

GrannyTracey Tue 02-Mar-21 18:53:14

I was 30 when I married my husband who was 22 . We have been married for 27 years & two months ago he left me for a woman 17 years younger than me . Funny thing is everyone always says he actually looks older than I do . Age is just a number

Alittlemadam Tue 02-Mar-21 19:05:36

My husband is 15 years older than me. We get on really well and do most things between us... Teamwork. A little give and take is what's needed in any relationship and never go to bed on a disagreement

Aztra Tue 02-Mar-21 20:17:39

Anyone see 22 kids and counting ? The Radford family - she was 13 when she got pregnant he was 18. They married when she was 18 - now with 22 kids. I think they're fantastic parents - showing love + attention to each kid ( unlike Amanda Owen the Yorkshire shepherdess 21 yrs younger than her husband 9 kids + shows none of them any affection they're set to work as soon as they can stand up unaided !!

TwinLolly Tue 02-Mar-21 21:40:22

First hubby was 2 years older than me. Current hubby is 6 years older. Inbetween husbands, I got involved with a chap who was 14 years older than me.

AlexG Wed 03-Mar-21 06:16:54

My husband is 15 years younger than me and we’ve been married 17 years. I’m 72 and he is 57. He is my second husband but he was ‘spinster of this parish’ when we married. I find it funny that he is one year younger than one of my son in laws and three weeks older than the other one. I’ve retired but he is still working. We’ve only ever been asked once if he is my son which amused both of us!

Hiraeth Wed 03-Mar-21 06:24:14

My husband was 12 years older than me , I was 23 when we got married. It never ever made a difference .He was my soul mate
but sadly died 7 years ago. No regrets , we had a great life together.

jillyd60 Wed 03-Mar-21 16:22:47

i met my other half when he was 44 and i was 23, so 21 years difference, we have 1 daughter together and he has another 5 years younger than me, we are still together after 38 years, i have found that the age difference can sometimes cause problems, all my friends husbands are younger and help with the cooking, mine is just not interested and feels it is a womans job.

effalump Thu 04-Mar-21 11:37:02

If your husband is younger than you, you ought to check that you get State Pension when you are SPA. I know it used to be that an older wife couldn't get state pension until husband reach SPA.

Erica23 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:40:10

Grannyrose Same here Dh 4 years older, retired at 65. Were now 64 and 68 I’m still working part time , plus looking after mum and dgc talk about the sandwich generation! Not sure what he gets up to, no dog, he can’t cook, says he’s done the housework ?

PattyFingers Thu 04-Mar-21 18:35:18

There is ten years between us and coincidentally our closest friends also have ten years between them.

Grandma11 Thu 04-Mar-21 19:28:39

I once Nursed a lady in a care home who was 83 and was married to a man who was 34, they met whilst on Holiday in Gambia. He lived in her family home and visited her about once a fortnight, he would take her out in her wheelchair down into the local shopping centre, but her a few toiletries and a bar of Chocolate, but she never had any spare cash for the Hairdresser when she visited, and he took control of the finances in connection to her Property where he lived, and her fees to pay for her care. Although Social services were not happy about the situation, and took legal action via the court of protection to investigate it this lady had in fact been the victim of a financial scam involving this man.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:55:29

Grandma11 what a shocking story

LMW1 Sat 06-Mar-21 14:20:09

16yrs between me and my Husband. He's 66 and I'm 49. It works for us.

gulligranny Sat 06-Mar-21 15:00:34

DH is 5 years older than me, second marriage for both of us; We met 15 years ago when he was 65 and I was 60, we've been married 12 years. He was leaving grammar school as I was starting, he'd been working for quite a while before I got my first job. We never stop talking and laughing and it's great!

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Mar-21 15:11:58

The largest age gap of any couple that I have known was of twenty five years difference. He was 25 years older than her. He never expected to be left on his own but she died when she was 55 and he was 80.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 15:17:00

Ilovecheese (so do I btw)
DH and I beat that by one year!

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 15:17:34

How sad, I bet that he was devastated.

Artaylar Sat 06-Mar-21 15:32:07

Hubster is 4 years my senior. At 63 he does seem to be getting old before his time which is a worry. He's quite happy just to sit on the sofa all day, vaping, sipping wine and faffing about on his laptop. There's quite a lot of huffing and puffing occuring on the rare occasions that I ask him to do anything.

He's easily pleased though and never gets on my case about anything which is a bonus ball, as is his being happy for me (in non Covid times) to holiday with friends, visit friends/family in other parts of the country, whenever I want to.

RosesAreRed21 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:55:29

As long as 2 people love each other, there for each other and are happy age is just a number.