Gransnet forums

Chat

This is what Carrie Symonds has spent £10k of taxpayers money on

(70 Posts)
vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 17:47:32

I wonder if her taste in furnishings matches her taste in men.

lemongrove Tue 02-Mar-21 19:20:28

This is no doubt fake news once again.Surely that’s part of the drawing room of the Nabob of Rangipoor ( or similar) from 1923 or thereabouts.
If not, it’s just an example of a designer’s work.Boris Johnson would have to have even more of a sense of humour than I thought to even contemplate such frilly horror.?

trisher Tue 02-Mar-21 19:26:31

Boris (returning home after a heavy night's drinking-post Covid of course) "Carrie, Carrie. Somebody's pinched the bloody sofa".
Loud crash and bang.
"Whoops found it! Never did like that bloody lamp. Suppose I'm on here mmm. Sure you don't fancy a quickie? Brumph."

Blossoming Tue 02-Mar-21 19:29:19

Fake news,

The photograph in the original post originates from a design blog posted in October 2017.

It is not in Downing Street and Carrie Symonds has not spent any taxpayers’ money on it.

Put the pitchforks away.

lemongrove Tue 02-Mar-21 19:31:05

Anything to say vegansrock hmm?

trisher Tue 02-Mar-21 19:31:38

I'm disappointed I liked to think of Boris playing hunt the sofa.

lemongrove Tue 02-Mar-21 19:32:21

trisher ! That’s uncharacteristically saucy of you.??

Barbamama Tue 02-Mar-21 19:43:00

I think there’s been a blip in the space-time continuum and her decorator has got stuck in the 1980s. It’s all a bit frilly Laura Ashley, isn’t it? The art looks interesting, though.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 02-Mar-21 19:53:15

blossoming I already posted that it wasn’t correct, but like you it was ignored.

But hey , why let the facts spoil a ‘good’ story?

vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 20:19:32

I pinched it from another source thought it amusing. No idea if it’s genuine . But the latest goss is Symonds is planning to set up a charity to fund her home makeovers as the taxpayers £30k dosh isn’t lavish enough for her tastes. Apparently she is taking her cue from none other than Melania Trump’s makeover of the White House.
www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/02/does-charity-begin-at-boris-johnsons-chintzed-up-home?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 02-Mar-21 20:21:08

Great,
let’s all start threads with amusing fake news then.

trisher Tue 02-Mar-21 20:32:19

What a great idea can we have prizes for the person who spots it first? Or points for contributing?

Urmstongran Tue 02-Mar-21 20:33:47

And in other news (as a balance) ...

A senior Labour MP said of Mr Hamilton and Ms Angela Rayner: “We all claim, but you’ve got to judge what you do it for. People have got to be cleaner than clean on this stuff.”

Geraint Davies, the Labour MP for Swansea East, also spent £3,975 on Apple equipment between April and July, while Barry Gardiner, the former shadow international trade secretary, claimed £1,748 for an iPad, £131 for an Apple pencil and £349 for a keyboard for the device.

A number of ministers are among those to have made claims, although their expenses are lower than the highest spenders.

Responding last night, John O'Connell, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "No doubt all of this spending will be shown to be 'within the rules'. But these MPs should be asking themselves if expensive Apple products are remotely necessary when there are much cheaper alternatives.

“With the economy and public finances in such dire straits, limiting their expenses claims would be a welcome way for MPs to show that we’re all in it together.”

vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 20:41:09

Gordon Brown spent no taxpayers money on home makeovers at no 10/11. Not fake news.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Mar-21 20:42:18

By all means if you need equipment then submit expenses but there is no requirement to buy top of the range gadgets. Plenty of wireless headphones available at a fraction of the price of Apple Airpods.

By letting the MPs decide what they want to expense for, the public are being taken for mugs....AGAIN!

The Government will do nothing to stop this and the Labour party and others are just two faced...quick to blame the opposition when it's to do with lowering benefits or universal credit, but also quick themselves to milk the expenses system!

There’s claiming within the rules, then there’s claiming what’s reasonable.

?

vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 20:45:27

There’s a difference between office tech and home decor. I’m sure if Jeremy Corbyn’s missus spent £30k of anyone’s money on sofas there would be an outcry.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Mar-21 20:46:02

Actually, I don't know whether gov.uk has a central IT policy, but I would imagine that it should, and any purchases by anyone using equipment for their work must line up with this.

If Apple is an approved supplier, then fair enough.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Mar-21 20:47:48

Tony Blair & his missus spent 3x that back in the day!
Not fake news either.
?

vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 21:06:39

I read that £30k was the allowance and Symonds isn’t happy with that paltry amount so wants to set up a charity so people can donate to help keep the building lovely and to her taste I guess Cherie and Tony spent some of their own dosh on soft furnishings.

Urmstongran Tue 02-Mar-21 21:17:48

Who cares if Carrie Symonds has the nous or chutzpah to crowdfund a refurb? Better that I say than us taxpayers.

Jaxjacky Tue 02-Mar-21 21:23:50

Sorry vegansrock your credibility on ‘I read.....’ allegations is lost on me.

Callistemon Tue 02-Mar-21 22:14:41

Smileless2012

One should never spill wine Callistemon it's such a waste!!

Wasn't what that was the big row was about some time ago now, Smileless? Boris spilt red wine on Carrie's cream sofa.
I remember because it was about the same time as DH did the same to mine. And the carpet.

I agree - such a waste.
wine

Nanna58 Tue 02-Mar-21 22:38:36

Oh I don’t want it to be fake news- I was having fun imagining the conversation Boris; Dom, you don’t have to drive to Barnard Castle to check your eyesight, just come round and see if you can spot the damn sofa!!;?

Doodledog Tue 02-Mar-21 22:51:17

It's reminiscent of Giles and Mary's sitting room on Gogglebox, isn't it? They just need a wooden table in the shape of a tiger to set it off grin.

paddyanne Wed 03-Mar-21 00:23:04

they sure know how to spend money,I hear he's spending millions on an inhouse TV studio like Trump had built in the White House ...to be honest thsi stuff doesn't bother me nearly as much as his bidey in having a say in policy ,bad enough we din't vote the tories into power even worse they hand power to an unelected girlfriend

JaneJudge Wed 03-Mar-21 11:24:34

Doodledog

It's reminiscent of Giles and Mary's sitting room on Gogglebox, isn't it? They just need a wooden table in the shape of a tiger to set it off grin.

I thought that, it reminded me of this. Maybe this is what Carrie has in mind to stop unwanted attention grin

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/video/tvandshowbiz/french-and-saunders-in-spot-on-impression-of-goggleboxs-giles-and-mary/