Gransnet forums

Chat

Trapped???

(81 Posts)
mrsmopp Tue 09-Mar-21 10:27:06

If you are a member of the RF you live a life of luxury. Everything is done for you. Charles doesn’t even put toothpaste on his brush himself. They live in fabulous palaces and have teams of servants.
If you are a single mum living in a tower block, trying to exist on a cleaners pay - that’s trapped. H and M don’t know the meaning of being trapped.

GrannyRose15 Wed 10-Mar-21 00:21:47

The people I felt really sorry for were all those who had met Harry while he was a working royal and had lovely stories to tell about how happy and charming and natural he was, and how he had made them smile and laugh ( we've all seen the pictures.) Only now they all know it was just him putting on show. I'd have been very upset to hear him say that if I had been one of the people he had helped.

welbeck Wed 10-Mar-21 00:37:56

yes, that's a good point.

welbeck Wed 10-Mar-21 00:47:39

i think Prince Charles did v well to carry on carrying on today.
he went to Jesus House, a predominantly black church near Brent Cross. basically it's in an industrial estate at the side of the North Circular Road, where it's 10 lanes across.
they are very good people there. i have nothing to do with them, but they came and literally helped me and mine in our hour of need, spent 2-3 days, giving free labour, lots of people, some with expertise, and equipment.
i offered them a donation and at the end of the day, the group leader said she had a favour to ask me. she gave me back the banknotes i had given her, and said she wanted me to take it to spend on something for myself. she pushed it in my pocket.
anyway they organised a vaccination drive there, which is particularly valuable as so many black people have been wary of having the vaccine.
and the black people there don't think the RF is racist.
and if PC had to go somewhere the day after that interview, i'm glad it was there, to those genuinely good people.

Katie59 Wed 10-Mar-21 08:01:11

“i think Prince Charles did v well to carry on carrying on today.”

Stiff upper lip and all that, it’s all part of the job, he would have been very angry indeed, as would other members if the RF.

Galaxy Wed 10-Mar-21 08:06:53

That stiff upper lip has worked wonders hasnt it. I think the rf are an absolute example of the damage a stiff upper lip can do.

GagaJo Wed 10-Mar-21 08:38:00

Problem is, Prin was the first to take to the camera to have his say. BEFORE Diana. Now, there is a precedent set by the heir to the throne.

Lucca Wed 10-Mar-21 08:59:23

Anyone who has access to the Times, inThe Times 2 section there is a very good article on “trapped” By Caitlin Moran.

Katie59 Wed 10-Mar-21 09:12:33

I’m particularly critical of Charles because of the way he treated Diana. He is no different to any “professional” wether male or female, in public you give a measured response, you do not show your emotion or real feelings.

Iam64 Wed 10-Mar-21 09:14:49

One thing we can surely all agree on, is the RF have all learned from childhood that you smile, never show genuine feelings. Diana failed to succeed in this key part of her role. I suspect that’s one of the reasons so many people empathised with her.

geekesse Wed 10-Mar-21 09:19:25

Any family where all members have to bow or curtsey to Granny is unhealthy. Queen she may be, but at home, among family, she is just as human as everyone else, and insisting on this outdated, feudal custom is ridiculous.

Blinko Wed 10-Mar-21 09:21:07

welbeck

i think Prince Charles did v well to carry on carrying on today.
he went to Jesus House, a predominantly black church near Brent Cross. basically it's in an industrial estate at the side of the North Circular Road, where it's 10 lanes across.
they are very good people there. i have nothing to do with them, but they came and literally helped me and mine in our hour of need, spent 2-3 days, giving free labour, lots of people, some with expertise, and equipment.
i offered them a donation and at the end of the day, the group leader said she had a favour to ask me. she gave me back the banknotes i had given her, and said she wanted me to take it to spend on something for myself. she pushed it in my pocket.
anyway they organised a vaccination drive there, which is particularly valuable as so many black people have been wary of having the vaccine.
and the black people there don't think the RF is racist.
and if PC had to go somewhere the day after that interview, i'm glad it was there, to those genuinely good people.

Brought me to tears, Welbeck. Such a lovely post, they sound like a wonderful organization. Good on PC for carrying on as usual. That's what it means if you're in the RF.

Gingster Wed 10-Mar-21 09:31:05

Bird in a guided cage

Katie59 Wed 10-Mar-21 09:45:27

Iam64

One thing we can surely all agree on, is the RF have all learned from childhood that you smile, never show genuine feelings. Diana failed to succeed in this key part of her role. I suspect that’s one of the reasons so many people empathised with her.

It’s hard to smile when you know that your husband is screwing Camilla.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:17:14

Prince Charles funded Harry and Meghan in a big way. Their lives were cushioned by his generosity. He was very supportive of Meghan and her mother at the wedding and I read he funded her wardrobe afterwards. Yet Harry lets drop he is “estranged” from him. He didn’t need to do that. No matter what has gone on you don’t behave like that to your father.

Pantglas2 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:42:04

GagaJo

Problem is, Prin was the first to take to the camera to have his say. BEFORE Diana. Now, there is a precedent set by the heir to the throne.

You’re right Gagajo! God help Harry if William decides to do the same.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Mar-21 11:13:42

geekesse

Any family where all members have to bow or curtsey to Granny is unhealthy. Queen she may be, but at home, among family, she is just as human as everyone else, and insisting on this outdated, feudal custom is ridiculous.

Agree.

Jillyjosie Wed 10-Mar-21 16:35:31

In what way is 2000 or so engagements per year 'not real work' or William's stint as a helicopter pilot or Harry's role as a soldier, which he apparently loved until it was wrecked by tabloid disclosure.
They're not free to go and work in Asda or whatever it is that you think is 'real work' and that's an example of why they are trapped in their roles.
Here is an article setting out just how much they all do every year.
writeroyalty.com/2019-by-the-numbers-royal-work-round-up-part-1/
Goodness, I'm no royalist but they have a miserable life doing what they're told.

Jillyjosie Wed 10-Mar-21 16:37:45

katie59 absolutely so, all these women posting here, is that how their husbands behave? Do they really think his behaviour is acceptable? And let's remember his paedophile brother hiding from the US courts at the moment.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Mar-21 17:33:47

They're not trapped. It's their choice. If it's so bad, why are they not fleeing from it?
Yes some did a stint in the forces and that was good. However they don't slog eight hours a day like most people as well as looking after the children, doing the housework, gardening, decorating etc etc. And I don't think you really need me to explain what their "work" entails. But you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

Blossoming Wed 10-Mar-21 18:06:12

I loved this Icelandic TV serial, hoped this thread would tell me they’re making another season but no such luck!

Ro60 Wed 10-Mar-21 19:31:08

Blossoming: me too. Also enjoyed The Bridge, Valhalla Mysteries, Sondamn Murders & Rebecka Martinsson (all Scandinavian & beautiful scenery)

Blossoming Wed 10-Mar-21 19:44:15

Ro60 it did prompt me to do a quick search and they’ve started to film a third series in late i2020. I’ll look up those others apart from The Bridge, already seen that and loved it.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Mar-21 19:47:43

Thanks Ro60. Will look up.?

Aveline Wed 10-Mar-21 19:52:21

Welbeck- what a terrific organisation. Thanks for telling us about it. You see the RF opening things or visiting places but don't find out much beyond that.

nadateturbe Wed 10-Mar-21 21:01:21

But what did PC actually do there?